“Exceptional B&B - Amazing GF Scones!”

Captain David Kelley House
Ranked #1 of 6 Centerville B&B and Inns
Shrewsbury, Massachusetts
“Exceptional B&B - Amazing GF Scones!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2013

My husband and I spent a couple nights at the CDK House last week. Rick and Tom are the most gracious hosts! I require a gluten free diet and I could not have had a more delicious breakfast including fresh baked GF scones! I so appreciated the extra effort they made to do that and the "scone war" lives on even in the GF realm. We stayed in the Rachel room which was very comfortable. There's a cute country store and delicious ice cream shop just a few steps away and the beach is a short walk as well. Rick guided us to a nearby restaurant, Pain D'Avignon, where we enjoyed an amazing meal. Really looking forward to going back and staying longer! I want to join in on the Zumba class next time.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2013

We had been travelling for a few weeks and had a few nights with no planned itinerary before heading to Boston and New York. Cape Cod was recommended to us and we were lucky enough to be referred to CDK.

This was our first B & B experience and we are definitely sold on it. So much better than a 5 star hotel. Rick and Tom were amazing hosts; the house is just superb with the most incredible attention to detail; the most comfortable bed we have ever slept in (we wanted to take it home) and scrumptious, fun breakfasts which set the perfect mood for each day.

Would recommend this place to anyone.

Room Tip: We stayed in the lovely Patience room with a king bed but all the rooms looked lovely.
Stone UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2013

Having just returned from a 6 night stay at the CDK, we wanted to share our thoughts to help fellow readers.
This was our first time in a B&B so we didn't know what to expect. The B&B itself is beautiful - well presented and immaculately kept by the hosts Rick & Tom. The rooms are spacious and individual with all having access to a cozy lounge area for guests to use. It's certainly a home from home. It's located in a quiet area close to Hyannis and Osterville and well located to tour CC.
The hosts Rick & Tom do a great job in welcoming guests and are always have plenty of advice and guidence if you want it. The breakfast they presented were a great start to the day and were certainly entertaining! Importantly, their high customer service is really impressive and makes CDK a place we would recommend highly!!!
Our thanks go to Rick & Tom for making the 6 nights a really memorable one, CDK & CC are a great advert for Mass.

Room Tip: Stayed in the Captain Baker suite - it was faultless (quietest A/C I've experienced)!
Charleston, West Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2013

My husband and I visited the CDKH from the last weekend of July to the first weekend of August. It was absolutely, positively perfect. This is our first trip the the Cape and in fact our first "northern" vacation. Up to this point our standard for lodging was the world famous Greenbrier Resort. For a couple used to southern hospitality we were blown away with how we were welcomed and treated during our stay. After a two day, 16 hour drive we were exhausted when we rolled into Centerville and as soon as we stepped into CDKH all our worries melted away. Rick and Tom run a top notch place that doesn't compare with anywhere we've ever stayed. It's immaculately clean and beautiful. They go out of their way to make your stay special and something to remember. We brought along our bikes and they generously allowed us to keep them on the back porch and shared with us their favorite bike routes. They also provided us with a lot of restaurant recommendations and a night of singing and piano playing that I will never forget. Breakfast every morning was perfectly proportioned and delicious. Great way to get the morning going. We had to switch rooms the last night because we couldn't stay in the Rachel all of the 5 nights we wanted to. They made the switch easy for us by moving all of our luggage to the Phoebe and allowing us to go ahead and explore for the day. All I can say is that when we arrived we were strangers and we we left I was sincerely sad like I were leaving old friends.

Room Tip: The Phoebe is very quaint and nice, but goes through the owners personal residence. It didn't bo...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Annapolis, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2013

My girlfriends and I stayed for the weekend on our annual girl's getaway.
I had been looking forward to it for a year! Let me say it did not disappoint in any way!
The house is absolutely beautiful! Each room is meticulously decorated and
Tom and Rick made us feel at home the minute we walked in.
I cannot say enough good things about our weekend!
From Zumba on the deck, to chocolates on our bedside tables, to the phenomenal breakfast (including the best scones I have ever had), to the laughter from all the other guests!
I can't wait to go back next year!
Thanks to Tom and Rick again for making our weekend such a delight!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I could not have been happier to have found this bed and breakfast in Centerville. We unfortunately only were able to stay one night, but Rock and Tom made the stay very enjoyable. They were both very friendly and accommodating, and as all the other reviews have stated, they make a wonderful breakfast! The rooms were clean and charming, and the patio outside where they served breakfast was just beautiful. If we ever get a chance to go back, we know where we'll be staying.

• Stayed September 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2013

It just occured to me, when booking another stay in Centerville that I never took the time to post a review. Shame on me! My husband and I stayed at CDK last Thanksgiving and Rick & Tom were fabulous hosts and could not have been more accomodating. They not only made us feel wecome but made us feel like part of the family! (Tom's family was in town for the Thanksgiving Holiday and they were all very gracious!)
We had the Captain Kelley room on the first floor which was very spacious. The bed is a beautiful four poster king bed that is also very comfortable. The bathroom is a little tight but unless you are a 6'4" circus bear on skates, that shouldn't be an issue.
We are so excited to be able to stay at CDK again this year. Not for the convenient location and cozy, inviting rooms but for the SCONES!! Don't make any lunch plans while you stay here as the wonderful breakfasts that Rick & Tom prepare will be plenty to sustain you for a day of sightseeing on the Cape.

Room Tip: All rooms look lovely. Check out the picture gallery on their website to view and decide which room...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Centerville
Anchor In Hotel
Liberty Hill Inn
#1 of 8 in Yarmouth Port
Sea Meadow Inn at Isaiah Clark House
Cape Cod Harbor House Inn

Been to Captain David Kelley House? Share your experiences!