“Something for EVERYONE”

Berkshire East Ski Resort
Ranked #5 of 17 things to do in Charlemont
More attraction details
Owner description: Berkshire East Ski Area, part of Berkshire East Mountain Resort, features great skiing on 42 trails, 4 aerial lifts, 2 surface lifts and about 1000' of vertical. We have a high quality snowmaking system operated with folks who know how to use it. 3 Lodges, a Children's Center, Ski and Snowboard School, a well regarded racing program, which are all powered by onsite renewable energy. We also are home to: 1) Berkshire East Canopy Tours 2) Berkshire Whitewater 3) The Thunderbolt Mountain Coaster 4) Thunder Mountain Bike Park 5) The Crazy Horse Bar and Grill, additional restaurant and meeting space, fully optimized for mountain weddings.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Stairs / lift, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Berkshire East isn't the steepest, the biggest, the best well known, nor does it have the glamour and glitz of other mountains, which is ok, because this is a skier's mountain. There is barely ever a lift line (and there is a new chair coming on line this fall. The groomers know their craft as well as any anywhere else. Never was there a day throughout the season where I couldn't find a trail to enjoy. There are steeps and bumps and glades, and some trails with all three at once. And there are also wide open intermediate trails on which developing skiers can hone their skills.

For families with true beginners, at different stages, this may not be your mountain as the magic carpet is on a different side of the mountain than the next easiest trail.

A new lodge was open last year. Can't comment, as I spend my time going from car to trail to car, but the bathrooms are kept clean. This is a hidden gem, and if you live convenient to I-91 it is worth checking out.

Lastly, what's not to like about a resort that gets almost all (if not all) of it's electricity from a mountain top windmill that the owners installed?

6  Thank Jeffrey K
"worth the trip"
"parking lot"
"only complaint"

Reviewed 13 August 2014

Berkshire East has everything you could want in every season all in the beautiful mountains of Western Ma. It keeps getting better and better..Can't wait for the Alpine Coaster

1  Thank DonaAria
Reviewed 17 March 2014

We skied here again this Saturday night. Condition were great, lots of corn snow and great coverage for this time of year. Since it is daylight savings time, they did not close the day trails until after 6:00pm. Love the new lodge! As for people that have written reviews and complained about the parking lot and trail signs, it is good that you will not be returning to the Beast. This will leave more room on the slopes of this great little mountain to the rest of us!

3  Thank oldlymeOldLyme
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Skied this area for 52 years and it gets better every year. New addition to the base lodge offers families the option of "brown bagging it" or being served in the new restaurant adjacent to the old base lodge. This family run ski area continues to make improvements every year by upgrading their snowmaking capability, improving configuration of trails, providing easier drop-off area and adding amenities like the new Crazy Horse Bar and Restaurant. Their learn-to-ski programs include everything from basics to a development program for young skiers and racing program for more advanced young kids and teenagers. Day tickets are reasonable and night skiers get an exceptionally good bargain. I highly recommend it.

3  Thank Maureen824
See more reviews
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Based on all the reviews here, we thought we found the place we'd return over and over. However, after our trip yesterday we won't be back. I knew going in it was an older mountain, which is fine with us, but it doesn't fully explain this place. There's no 5 minute drop off by the lodge, so everyone was getting their gear on in the parking lot. The lodge itself is OK, but the cafeteria leaves something to be desired. Lift lines are fine but the chair lifts take forever to get up the mountain. Once there, good luck finding your way. A few other reviewers had warned about the run signs, or lack thereof, and I'm glad we knew that going in. I've never been to a ski resort where the signage was so poor. We had our two kids with us who are beginners and a few times almost turned down black diamond runs since we were so confused. The signs are wooden posts nailed on a tree with no directionals at all. Be sure to keep a trail map on you and be prepared to stop to look at it often. The only bonus for the day was the small terrain park my kids enjoyed. And on the way out, we had to deal with a HORRIBLE parking lot filled with mud, huge puddles and ice - and in walking back to our car I slipped on a huge patch of ice that was hidden under a puddle of water, caught air and landed on my ski binding. No one was there to help or warn people of the icy under the puddle. I can feel the pain of my fall as I type this review. Two stars is being kind since my kids had fun on the terrain park, but we will not be back.

2  Thank Lisa M