“Extra special attention!”

Captain's House Inn
Ranked #3 of 9 Chatham B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 January 2013

I concur with all of the accolades previous reviewers have given to the Captain's House Inn. My husband and I have visited several times and find it to be a wonderful, relaxing place, where the owners and staff go way out of their way to make your stay a great one. However, little did I know, how even more accommodating they could be. Since my last visit, I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease and need to be on a Gluten Free Diet. My husband noted this when he made our reservation online. I have stayed at several inns and hotels since my diagnosis and the Captain's House Inn, far outdid them all!
In the welcome basket waiting for us, was a gluten free granola bar! My husband had ordered a cheese, fruit and crackers plate to be delivered to our room and it came complete with gluten free crackers. I have always loved afternoon tea, but I went this time, thinking there would be nothing for me to eat and I would just drink the tea. Imagine my delight when the server brought out a whole plate of gluten free treats for m!. And finally, on our last day, the breakfast entree's were a choice of a breakfast burrito or Belgian waffles. I thought I would have to find something else to eat, but the server came to our server, before I even made an inquiry, and said that she had checked with the chef and he could make either entree gluten free. So I had my first gluten free Belgian waffles and they were delicious!
Thank you to the Captains House for making this another outstanding stay and for the very caring and thoughtful way they handled my special diet!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 19 December 2012

couldn't resist, sorry!
This was was amazing, luxurious like a 5 star hotel (amazing service, fantastic food) but with the quality of a local inn (owner who checks every morning what your plans are and offers suggestions, wine and biscuits in the afternoon).
I cannot speak highly enough of this place, and although I tend to be hard to please, I cannot fault this inn.
Go if you can!

Room Tip: pay attention to the description on the website, we chose ours with care and were not disappointed
1  Thank Entente-cordiale
Reviewed 28 November 2012

I have found that spending a few days away with my wife renews us. Of course, the Inn we stay at is critical to this process of renewing ourselves. This was our third stay at the Captain's House. The innkeepers and the staff do back flips to make you feel comfortable, welcome and special. They make breakfast and afternoon tea a priority, and I know that they work hard to make it delicious. The menu is inventive, and the dining room where we enjoy these treats is bright and airy. If you have any requests, food choices, eating in your room, whatever, they try to make it happen. In fairness to all who will read this review and have never stayed at the Captain's House, I would like to say that the rooms are very nice. Thanks to Jill and James, the innkeepers.

Reviewed 27 November 2012

We had an open weekend (mid-November) and lovely weather was forecast, so we managed to get a room here at the last minute. The Inn is really large, with a huge variety of rooms to choose from. Since we booked last-minute, there were few rooms available. Our room, the Intrepid, was nice, but dark. On the ground level, you can't really have the windows and blinds open for light. Plus it was November, when everything is darker anyways. That was my only dislike -- being in a dim room. The room has an electric fireplace, two comfortable reading chairs, and a comfortably four-poster bed. The bathroom was equipped with robes, toiletries, and plenty of towels.
The staff here is wonderfully polite, gracious, and helpful. We loved the afternoon tea, featuring an amazing assortment of home-baked goodies, plus tea, of course, and even decanters of sherry and port! Breakfast is plentiful and, like tea, is available in a big bright sunny dining room. If you're the lazy type, or don't like to have breakfast around other people, they'll even bring a breakfast tray to your room!
The Inn's grounds are lovely, even in stark November. If you're coming to Chatham, I would definitely recommend the Captain's House Inn.

Reviewed 27 November 2012

overnight stay was truly relaxing. the spa-like bathroom was outstanding with immaculate candle-lit jacuzzi for two, separate shower with good water pressure, well-lit mirror and extensive,lovely toiletries including toothpaste.There are cozy gas fireplaces in all rooms (try to request one larger room rather than broken-up very small suite style rooms). The cleanliness,care, attention to detail, and helpfulness of all staff was excellent.They are knowledgeable about the area and all attractions. The breakfast was a delicious feast with many buffet items as well as individually prepared specialties.
The location- Chatham - is fantastic- gorgeous walking beach, great sea air, beautiful shops and restaurants-
Captain's House Inn is truly special- go for it!

Room Tip: request one larger more spacious room rather than 2 very small broken-up suite style rooms
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 November 2012

This was our second visit to the Captain's House Inn. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful, the rooms are immaculate and very well decorated. The breakfasts, afternoon tea and evening snacks are well prepared, very tasty and nicely presented. We'll be back for more.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 November 2012

I recently spent 3 nights at the Captain's House Inn, taking advantage of their winter mid-week special. We tend to try to find Select Registry properties knowing their are consistently good, and this did not disappoint. There seemed to be continuous food and beverage included, making it an amazing value. Breakfast was wonderful and big enough to feel full all day until tea time when there was wonderful tea and pastries included. There were even cookies and beverages in the evening. The room was very nice and one day was very rainy, making the fireplace quite lovely. The only disappointment was the distance into Chatham as I prefer to walk around if possible. It is about a mile which was fine except after dark as there is not a sidewalk the whole way. When days are longer it would be wonderful.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo