The Captain's House Inn offers an ideal escape for your next vacation if you want quiet, charm and sophistication. We visit the Cape annually and for several years had stayed at one of two standard motel properties, one with beach frontage but which was very expensive and offered little in the way of charm. Despite the lack of charm at that motel, before our first stay at The Captain's House last year we were worried we might miss the view of and access to the beach, but we should not have been concerned - for the past two years we have been delighted with our choice of The Captain's House and its quiet elegance. The location is good - you can bike to the center of Chatham if you wish (though we always drive the mile or so there and now park in the new Community Center lot near the rotary). When you enter the Captain's property you feel the combination of the Cape Cod and English charm immediately - the grounds are very well maintained with many flowers, a gazebo, herb garden and all beautifully set off the buildings' traditional Cape Cod architecture. The main house and guest rooms are very clean and decorated with antiques. Sometimes we don't stay at Bed & Breakfasts because neighbors are a little too close, but at The Captain's House we do not feel that way at all. We have stayed in the Whirlwind and Wild Hunter rooms - both offer privacy and quiet; we especially enjoyed reading the paper each morning on the private deck of the Wild Hunter while watching the birds in the bird bath and listening to the little fountain in the yard. The interiors really look the way they do on the Inn's website. The other guests are very quiet - no children running amok (as we had experienced at the aforementioned motels). The Inn seems to attract its share of European visitors - we have heard British, French and German accents at breakfast. The staff is very friendly, efficient and eager to please and are mainly hospitality students from England which adds to the English charm. The owners also help serve the breakfast and chat with each guest and are genuinely interested in making sure you enjoy your stay. The breakfasts are a delight - choose between two elaborate and creative options that change daily, plus an array of cereals, breads, fruit - all served in the sunny dining area on attractive china. And don't miss tea time between 3 and 5 - a daily changing assortment of delicious pastries with your favorite tea (they seem to have about 10 teas available at any time) or excellent lemonade. And if you come home late (9 or 10-ish by Cape standards) you can snag a few more treats from the kitchen that is open to guests for that purpose. There are plenty of comfortable chairs at the pool. Both times we have visited the Inn it has been full, but the public spaces never seem crowded, or actually have anyone else in them usually other than at breakfast. We can't think of any negative aspect of the Inn and we will definitely be back. Stay at the Captain's House if you want a sophisticated, relaxing and convenient place to enjoy for its own sake, or from which to explore Chatham or the entire Cape.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A most distinctive Cape Cod bed and breakfast, the Captain's House Inn is regarded by many respected lodging reviewers as perhaps "The Cape's" finest small inn. This four-diamond sea captain's estate on two acres in Chatham, Massachusetts is the perfect choice for a romantic getaway or a peaceful retreat from the workaday world. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Odigeo, Priceline, Agoda, Traveltool, S.L.U. and HRS so you can book your Captain's House Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Captain`s House Hotel Chatham
- Captain's House Inn Chatham, Cape Cod, MA