“Disappointed and not at all what I expected.”

Queen Anne Inn Cafe & Lounge
Ranked #5 of 9 Chatham B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 October 2013

When we arrived at the hotel we were given a very small room that was cold. They did accommodate us to a room with two double beds which was bigger but as we went in the Fall, the room was also cold. Heat was turned on and off by the hotel but there was no way to control the heat in your room. All rooms in the main hotel are on the street front which makes the room noisy. The window air conditioner allowed for the cold air to come through along with the noise. The hotel needs updating. The beds were not comfortable. Once you book this hotel you are informed that there are no refunds if you wish to cancel. This is a lesson learned and we would not book under these conditions again.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank lakeviewandsunsets
QAI-Management, Manager at Queen Anne Inn Cafe & Lounge, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2014

I'm sorry to hear you had a disappointing stay with us. The comfort of our guests is our top priority, which is why we switched you to the larger room. It sounds like you still weren't comfortable after the switch, though -- my apologies for that. Since we have to maintain control of the thermostats (our building is old and very sensitive to temperature changes), we have extra blankets for guests who get chilly. I know that doesn't fix the problem entirely, but it's the best we can do.

Even though I wish you'd had a better time, I appreciate your constructive criticism and will keep it in mind as we make future updates and renovations. (For now, we can certainly make our refund policy clearer. Thanks for the feedback on that.) If you'd like to discuss your experience directly, please don't hesitate to give me a call at (508) 945-0394.

Reviewed 16 October 2013

We had a lovely room which was bright overlooking the garden and swimming pool. A lot of care was taken with the garden as a gardener was thereeach day. The rooms overlooking the garden had balconies with various types of furniture. ( I think they were replacing the balcony furniture slowly) Our wicker furniture on the balcony was ready for replacement)
There breakfast provided was good and served at the table by very pleasent staff. All the staff were very friendly and would do anything to help.
The location was good with a grocery store for buying lunches just down the road, a laundremat and the town all within walking distance. Lots of restaurant and a cinema in the town.

Room Tip: Pick a garden room as the ones facing the road although quite have no outside seating.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
QAI-Management, Manager at Queen Anne Inn Cafe & Lounge, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2013

Thanks for the kind words. It's wonderful to hear you had an all-around pleasant stay with us. I'm especially glad that you enjoyed our garden—we take a lot of pride in it. We are also in the process of updating our balcony furniture, as you noted. (My apologies that yours had seen better days.)

Thanks again for sharing your experience. If you ever return to Chatham, we'd love to welcome you back.

Reviewed 29 September 2013

We stayed here with a groupon and got a good rate for the romantic garden room. The service was wonderful, the breakfast excellent. I have dietary issues that the staff of the inn was very happy to accommodate, and they did with a smile. The private balcony was especially enjoyable. Our room was spacious with a two sink vanity, lovely sitting area and private balcony. The hand painted murals in the room were lovely.

The only down side was the outdated decor. The bathroom was outdated, the tv has to be 20+ years old (granted in a romantic room you may not want to watch a lot of TV - but...). I think the hardest thing to get past was the very uncomfortable mattress :(, also tired.

Overall the service outshines the rooms, but even with my reduced rate it was still an expensive 2 night stay. For that kind of nightly fee, I wish it had been a little less tired decor and a much newer mattress.

But overall, we would stay again, the staff was that friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: The garden side rooms face the back side of the house and have balconies. The street that the inn is...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
QAI-Management, Manager at Queen Anne Inn Cafe & Lounge, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2013

Although I'm pleased to hear you were impressed with our service, Susan, I'm sorry you didn't have the 5-star experience we aim to deliver. Thanks for the constructive criticism—we'll certainly take it into consideration as we make future updates and improvements. Hope to have the pleasure of hosting you again someday!

Reviewed 28 September 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights between New York and Boston. All the staff were friendly, helpful and available. It is a good location, a short walk to the main street of shops and restaurants, and altho the weather wasn't quite warm enough for us to use, the pool looked lovely. It is an original timber framed building so allowances have to be made ie creaky floors, little soundproofing, etc. However that does not excuse the thin contract carpet in the hallways, 1960's decor and spot lights, splap dash paint work, cracks in the sink, etc. We had continental breakfast which was a choice of fruit salad, yoghurt OR cereal plus a plate of toast and cakes brought to your table - there was no choice. If you wanted fruit AND yoghurt you had to pay extra. No coffee making facilities in room which nowadays is standard and no iron in room or to borrow - they would press items for a charge. All in all not good value, given the price we paid for the room it all felt just a bit penny pinching.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
QAI-Management, Manager at Queen Anne Inn Cafe & Lounge, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Thanks for taking the time to give us some constructive criticism. We want to give our guests an all-around enjoyable stay, and we'll certainly look into making some upgrades to shake the "tired" feeling you describe. If you're ever back in Chatham and are up for giving us another chance, we'd love to host you again.

Reviewed 23 September 2013

Having read the recent reviews I wonder if we just hit it wrong with this Inn. The front desk staff were not friendly and helpful - and often not even there. The lobby coffee - supposedly available from 7-8 am was not ready till almost 7:30 am our first morning. The wait staff in the restaurant were friendly and provided good service. I would rate the food as average though...with no local or homegrown ingredients often found at Inns. The room was adequate but there were no plastic laundry bags nor ironing board/iron. I understand if the age of the Inn may prohibit in room irons, but a note regarding the availablity of such might have been nice. We had to call twice after making the reservation to get an email confirmation several days after our booking. We didn't feel the Inn was run very efficiently and I agree with other reviewers.....seen better days. It was adequate but didn't make me want to return.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
QAI-Management, Manager at Queen Anne Inn Cafe & Lounge, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2013

I'm sorry you had a lukewarm experience with us. We aim to run our hotel as efficiently as possible, so it's disappointing to hear you found fault with our service. Thanks for letting me know about the coffee and front desk situation. I'll have a word with my team about being more prompt and available. Please note that the only time they are not at the desk is when they are assisting other guests. We try to e-mail confirmations to our guests promptly. If you recall, there was unfortunately a typo in your e-mail address, which was corrected and a new confirmation followed immediately!
Even though I wish you'd enjoyed your stay more, I appreciate your candid feedback. If you're ever back in the area and up for giving us another chance, we'd love to host you again.

Reviewed 22 September 2013

Our son was married on 9/8 so my husband and I and several family and friends stayed at the QAI for several nights. This was our first experience staying in the Cape Cod area - specifically Chatham and we were very satisfied. The Inn has that historical feel that one would expect for the area without sacrificing cleanliness and affordability. The staff is outstanding and did their absolute best in accommodating our needs. Yes, there are things that were in disrepair but with a little work I'm sure they can be improved. Our stay was very comfortable and a great location to the main part of the city. Very easy to walk to. Thanks to the staff and especially Joanie who made us feel welcome and very special. We hope to be back some day.

Room Tip: A room with a balcony is a plus!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
QAI-Management, Manager at Queen Anne Inn Cafe & Lounge, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2013

Thanks for the glowing review. "The Inn has that historical feel that one would expect for the area without sacrificing cleanliness and affordability"—that perfectly describes what we strive to achieve. Thank you once again for sharing that special time with all of us and I look forward to hosting you again in the future.

Reviewed 15 September 2013

The customer service at the Queen Anne is wonderful. We stayed for one night, as we attended a wedding in Chatham. No other B+B in town would allow a one night stay, so we were excited to find this one. The email communication was very prompt and complete. We were even allowed an early check in, so that we could prepare for the wedding. They could not have been nicer.

That being said, as other reviews have noted, this seems to have once been a high class establishment that has slowly fallen into disrepair. Our room was very clean and tidy but smelled musty, after opening the windows and blasting the air conditioning, the smell went away. The linens were all clean and smelled fresh. The bathroom however had peeling wallpaper and a rusty drain in the sink. I know it is a "historic" hotel but I think the guest experience would be greatly improved with fixing up these smaller items.

Breakfast was good and included in the room price, although that wasn't entirely made clear to us. They could stand to upgrade their coffee offering. It was of low quality, as it is in a lit of the Cape, but the rest of the food was good. For the price you would hope for mugs instead of styrofoam cups and some local and or organic ingredients.

The grounds were neat and well manicured.

I would totally stay here again with the great hope that the owners will pay attention to the reviews and fix up where needed. It is a good inn that could easily be great with a bit of TLC.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank spiderkelly
QAI-Management, Manager at Queen Anne Inn Cafe & Lounge, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2013

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. I'm glad your overall stay was pleasant, and I appreciate your suggestions for improvement. We will certainly look into fixing the minor issues you mentioned. As you pointed out, we are a historic hotel, but that doesn't mean we can't make some updates. Hope we'll have the chance to welcome you back and show you a 5-star experience someday!
PS: By the way, Styrofoam cups are only offered at the self serve coffee station where guests help themselves to some to-go coffee. I hope you had a chance to enjoy our fine china in the dining room.