“The best place to stay in Cape Cod”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Chatham Highlander

Chatham Highlander
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Chatham
“The best place to stay in Cape Cod”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2013 via mobile

We just stayed there 4 nights and not only was it impeccably clean but it was affordable. It is a quick walk to the center of Chatham. The rooms are large and you have plenty of room to park.
I debated writing this review because once everyone discovers how great this motel is it will be tough for us to get reservations next year.
As a final note, it is a lot nicer than any other place we stayed on the Cape.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank millytheschnauzer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2013

I've stayed at some of the most beautiful 4-5 star hotels around the world. This is not one of them. However, I'm giving this small motel in Chatham high marks.

This is Cape Cod; known for it's vacation (house) rentals, "inns", "bed & breakfasts" and even small motels so you're not going to find any large luxury hotels. The (2 queen bed) room we stayed in was very nice and comfortable. It was not fancy. It was rather plain but it was clean, big/roomy and the beds were very comfortable. The shower was hot hot and had good water pressure. The motel offers a variety of room types/choices including efficencies and suites. They have two pools which again, are not fancy but are nice to cool off in and relax.

What I liked most about staying at the Chatham Highlander Motel was the location. It really is a great location. It is close enough to town to walk which we did often. We rented bikes and biked to town and the beach. Basically, once we got to the motel, we were able to walk or ride everywhere and did not have to use the car until we left. There is a gas station, convenient store and food market 100 yards from the motel.

For us, it was about being outside and enjoying the "Cape". The room was for showering and sleeping. Give me a hot shower (with good water pressure), a good bed to sleep in and a great location and I'm happy. The Chatham Highlander offered this and we were very happy staying there.

I would recommend it for families and anyone who is more interested in the location then the "frills".

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Ian N
Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2013

I recently stayed at the Chatham Highlander with a friend. It was my first time visiting Cape Cod, so I wasn't familiar with anything. The Highlander was a great place to start. The prices for rooms are very reasonable. The ladies at the front desk were very helpful with suggestions for what to do and where to go. They were also great with directions, and their recommendations for dining out were perfect - local fresh seafood! My room was immaculate every day! The cleaning staff was amazing and so friendly! Beds are very comfortable. The rooms are spacious and decorated in a simple chic style. There is also a nice-sized swimming pool at the Highlander that is great for relaxing, too. The property itself is so charming. The location is great - within walking distance to downtown Chatham. It's close to all the shops and restaurants and even CVS in case you need anything. I would definitely recommend the Chatham Highlander and will stay there again if ever back on the Cape.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank jmooOhio
charlotte
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2013

We went for classic Cape Cod and found it. We were on a budget but did not want to skimp on cleanliness, safety and service. We found it and more. The rooms were personally decorated, clean and provided all we needed at a very fair price for pricey Cape Cod and Chatham. We were walking distance to everything in Chatham and it was so easy for our little ones to get very tired running on the grassy knolls. The weather was crisp and the bike tails were great. They help was nice and the front desk gave us ideas we had not thought of. If you want privacy and quaintness, come here - especially if you want pools, shade and breeze - and comfort for kids. It would be nice if they had a snack bar but then it wouldn't be a motel - but there is a restaurant and c-store across the street. We will be back this summer.

Room Tip: Ask for recently redone rooms - we checked our room first and then switched to a location near the l...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank fireisland5
Farmington, CT
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2012

ROOM: It was our first stay at the Highlander Motel. We found our rooms to be very clean, but outdated with no decoration and not enough furniture in the room. We were a family of four and took a room with two beds. There were only two chairs in the room, so only two of us at a time could sit down - not good if you want to play games with the kids in the evening etc.. On the positive side we were happy to find a refrigerator & a coffee maker in the room.

CHECK-IN: when we were checking in, all we got is a very cold reception; the front desk person didn't even introduce herself. There were no welcoming words, not even a standard "hello-welcome-to-Highlander-Motel". Actually, an initial mail from a robot at Webmaster.com confirming our reservations, was more pleasant & warm, than all the subsequent contact we've had with Highlander Motel front desk/employees.

CHECK-OUT: before we left, I went to the office to see if I still needed to pay/sign for the remaining balance. The lady at the front desk initially said I was all set, but then checked her slips, and informed me I still needed to pay. I did... however, upon my arrival at home, I noticed on my credit card statement that I was double-charged. When I contacted Highlander, the reception lady replied "I know I questioned you when you said you owed but you insisted that you had just done the deposit". In reality I asked if I still needed to pay & sign for the balance; surely, I did not insist to be double-charged.

In the end the money was refunded back to my credit card, but it took several emails & days before it was done.

CONCLUSION: All in all it was not a pleasant stay. Considering the money we paid for the pretty outdated room, I would have expected a bit more hospitality. I do not recommend and I will not be staying at this place again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank Malanam
washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2012

I adored the Highlander. It was the perfect location to town, but I also like to walk, so the mile may be a little far for some. It is a peaceful place and had the most comfortable bed I have ever slept on. I reserved what was described on their website as "the nicest room" they had so I am not sure what the others look like and the site does a good job describing each room. My room was extremely clean -- and I mean everything. What I didn't like may just be staying in a motel - the noise from people/cars in the parking lot, some noise between rooms though not excessive, and the small TV that had poor reception, which may have been a Comcast issue. The air conditioning was also a little loud. There were good dining choices nearby and I never ran out of things to do. I got the feeling from walking around the small property that the owners care a lot about the appearance of their place and saw workers throughout my stay taking care of things around the grounds. This is one of the few places I've stayed in that far exceeded my expectations and was much nicer in person.

Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank vacat7
aspen, colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2012

Nice motel in Chatham, conveniently located, service fine room is large. The main problem I had was that the room, well, frankly it smelled bad. Like stale urine. They need to do something about it, otherwise the place is fine.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple