“Very nice affordable hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chatham Highlander

Chatham Highlander
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Chatham
Columbus, Ohio
“Very nice affordable hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2005

Considering that this hotel is not part of a large chain, it was a very nice stay, at a reasonable price, in a good location. The room was very clean, the plumbing fixtures were in excellent condition, and the setting was far enough back from the road that there was no traffic noise. The clerk was extremely polite at check-in and offered tips about local restaurants and sightseeing opportunities. The location is at the edge of town, so it is not reasonable for most people to walk to the restaurants and shops in town, but it is possible to find parking in the downtown area.
I would definitely stay at the Chatham Highlander if I visited that area again.

3 Thank tripunicorn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2005

Visited Chatham for the first time over Memorial Day weeekend. We were a bit shocked by the high prices for lodging but managed to find the Chatham Highlander at a rate of $125/night. Our room had comfortable queen beds and the carpet seemed new. The furniture and bath were vintage but very clean.

• Stayed May 2005
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Newton, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2005

Really overpriced. We stayed there at the end of September and they required a two night stay. Green vinyl chairs. Nothing's been updated in years. Their "pool" is a tiny little hole in the ground.

5 Thank maf67
, owner at Chatham Highlander, responded to this review, 24 April 2006
We used to be YUK but we've updated the entire place. We purchased the Chatham Highlander the end of 2003 and recognized it as a diamond in the rough. In 2005 we began updating the rooms. We finished them this year. 25% have been completely renovated. The others have new carpeting and furnishings. Our rooms and baths are spotless. As to the swimming pools, we have 2 heated ones. One is 18 x 36 and the other one is 20 x 40. Visit our website to see pictures of the rooms.
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2004

This place was a dump. Extremely overpriced at $130 a night. I've stayed at 5 star hotels that were cheaper. They were requiring a 2 night stay after Labor Day. The furniture was 1970s vintage. It doesn't look like they have replaced anything in the last 10 years minimum. Stay away from this place.

• Stayed September 2004
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
, owner at Chatham Highlander, responded to this review, 24 April 2006
In September 2004 we were ugh. It was our first season of owning the Chatham Highlander. We have since updated all of the rooms. 25% are total renovations. The others are new carpet and furnishings. We offer lovely accomodations which you can see on our website.
Methuen, MA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2004

I checked in to the Chatham Highlander on July 31. The Highlander is an old motel with well kept grounds and I thought for $150 per night we would be able to get clean, modest accommodations. We checked in at the temporary office, and went directly to our room in the adjacent building. The room had a heavily stained carpet, a strong odor, saggy beds and furniture from the 1950s. We could deal with that, but then the toilet overflowed. We decided to check out. I went back to the office and I explained to the clerk that the toilet had overflowed and my husband had shut the water off to the toilet in order to stop the water from flooding the room. I told her we would be checking out. We were in the room for no more than five minutes. She credited my credit card for the full amount of the room and apologized. I thanked her and left. Two weeks later when checking my credit card statement I found a $25.00 charge from the Chatham Highlander. I called the motel and spoke to the same clerk who had checked me in. She told me that she remembered exactly who I was because my husband and I had checked in, taken showers and then checked out. She knew we had taken showers because the towels were wet and in the tub. My husband had made the mistake of shutting the water off from the overflowing toilet and trying to wipe up the floor with towels. She then accused us of purposely trying to stop up the toilet in order to make it overflow. I had to call my credit card company to dispute the charge. They removed it, but told me that the Highlander would still be paid because $25 is not worth the credit card company’s time and effort. Somehow I think the Highlander knows that. If they thought we really used the shower and purposely damaged their property, I’m sure they would have charged us at least the full $150 rate. Beware!

14 Thank dinnerguide
, Owner at Chatham Highlander, responded to this review, 25 April 2006
We purchased the Chatham Highlander the end of 2003 and spent 2004 "getting our feet wet." This guest did have a horrible experience in August 2004. In August 2004, we hired new management. We did refund the $25 charge plus gave the customer an additional $25. Our management and cleaning staff are now awesome. The Chatham Highlander is a lovely property. You can see pictures of our grounds and rooms on our website.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chatham
Pleasant Bay Village
Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa
Hawthorne Motel
Hawthorne Motel
#5 of 9 in Chatham

Been to Chatham Highlander? Share your experiences!