“Good choice, good location”
Review of Hawthorne Motel

Hawthorne Motel
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Chatham
Reviewed 25 August 2014

The Hawthorne is very clean and quiet with basic rooms and some beautiful views. The owners are also the managers and you can tell they take pride in their hotel. The grounds, wirh their hydrangeas, and other flowers are simply lovely. The motel is right next door to the Chatham Bars Inn at half the price. Several times we walked over there for the excellent (but expensive) buffet breakfast. I have a couple of comments, however. I had very little contact with the innkeepers but there was something about our check in with (I believe her name is kellie) that was decidedly chilly. It made me not want to make contact with her or ask her about Chatham. Perhaps we caught her at the end of a bad day. Also, the beach in front of the hotel is not swim able. It is basically a marina with many boats moored there. You would not want to swim there despite the hotel providing beach towels and chairs. We drove 15 minutes every day to Harding beach. Finally, I have to comment that the beds at the motel were not comfortable and they oddly do not have fitted sheets on them. Each day they were made up with flat sheets on the bottom. Each night they slid down and the mattress and mattress pad were exposed. Overall, this would be a nice quiet place to stay as a couple (I had my two children with me), especially if you are there to relax and not swim. But bring your own bottom sheet!

1  Thank JenEndyB

Reviewed 25 August 2014

We arrived at the Hawthorn on August 11th having booked our deluxe efficiency ocean view room in March, paid a deposit and confirmed both by email and telephone. The motel came recommended. Having travelled from UK we were very much looking forward to a relaxing stay in the specific room we had booked. However on our arrival we were informed by the manager Kellee that our room rate had been reduced and was reflected in the room type. Somewhat concerned we went to view room 31 on the lower ground floor overlooking the car park and next to the large commercial laundry that operates from 8am until sometimes 7pm. After expressing our disappointment and concerns to the manager ( not the owners ) it appears that this is an all too frequent occurrence. The managers could not have been more helpful in trying to resolve the situation however such was the standard and location of the room offered at no charge we chose to stay somewhere else and pay the required rate. This surely says it all!!
This was so disappointing having travelled from the UK and we wanted to warn other potential guests travelling here and expecting a specific room you may not get what you have booked. My husband and I were lucky to find alternative accommodation in chatham with the help of Kellee and Mike the managers. They seemed to have been put into a very difficult position and not for the first time. Was this because we were not going to be a repeat customer?
Perhaps the owners need to rethink their " customer service" !!

Room Tip: Your choice of room will make no difference as you are at the mercy of the owners random room alloca...
Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Zandra H
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Hawthorne..the view was great and staff very accommodating and friendly! The rooms very comfortable and quiet...nice to be able to open windows to enjoy the cool sea breezes...definitely would recommend!!

• Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed 9 August 2014

My family and I had a wonderful experience at the Hawthorne Motel in Chatham. It was charming and located on a wonderful seaside setting on Cape Cod. We truly enjoyed our stay and plan to return next year. Lots of activities in the area for the whole family and near some great golf courses too. We had a nice clean room and the rates were the most competitive I’ve seen for an ocean-front property, I give it a 5 across the board.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jowls2014
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I give the motel a 3, mostly for the fabulous lawn leading to the beach. I give a 5 to the management . We has a couple of issues while we were there and the management was professional and very helpful. They made the stay a 5!

Room Tip: There is no view from room 112 and it's where people drive up to unload their luggage and there...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Stayed two nights at this hotel...had a wedding next door at the Chatham Bars Inn. This place was better AND lots cheaper. Everyone I spoke to about the CBI disliked it, despite the CBI being more than double the cost. Everyone I knew who stayed at the Hawthorne Motel loved it. However it does not have a pool, if you need that. It is right on the beach, and is very clean. You could see the seals on the sand bar in the mornings, and just barely hear them. The beach was good, and went for a nice walk on it. The morning I left, I saw a small fox behind the tall grass. Motel staff were exceptionally friendly. Chatham itself appears to be "in" and was so overcrowded that we avoided going into town except when we had to. Traffic in town was jammed that weekend. (an August weekend) The motel doesn't have a restaurant, so I'd suggest the Airport cafe for breakfast or lunch. Ocean view or parking lot view are the room choices.

2  Thank J B
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We stayed at the Hawthorne during a wedding which was held next door at the Chatham Bars Inn.
After talking with several guests of the other hotel, we decided we did better than they did! The
high-season prices were lower, we had a view of the water and many seals, and our room was clean and comfortable. We had a coffeemaker in the room (#118) and the office, right next door,
offered morning coffee and apples. Our air conditioner kept out any noise from people using the
office. Only complaints: the bottom sheet was too small and kept coming out, and there were no
outlets near the table to charge the computer, even though wifi was free. Our reservations were
correct and the management was very pleasant.

Room Tip: 118 has a water view. 102 has a water view and a full kitchenette.
1  Thank Barbara B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chatham
Chatham Inn At 359 Main
The Chatham Motel
The Chatham Motel
#3 of 9 in Chatham
Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa

Been to Hawthorne Motel? Share your experiences!