“Impatient & Rude staff”

Atwood House & Museum
Ranked #11 of 48 things to do in Chatham
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Step Back to Cape Cod of centuries past. Your journey begins with a tour of the historical dwelling built circa 1752 by Chatham sea captain Joseph Atwood, and occupied by his descendants for some five generations. Discover Cape Cod's captivating history, art, and culture at the Chatham Historical Society's expanded and upgraded Atwood House House Museum. In addition to the 18th century Atwood House at its core, Museum highlights include: The Joseph A. Nickerson, Jr. Portrait Gallery of Chatham-born local sea captains, painted by Frederick Wright. The Mural Barn, housing the nationally-renowned paintings of local residents by Alice Stallknecht Wright. The Fishing Gallery, dedicated to the history, personalities, and various techniques of Chatham's commercial fishing industry - the first of its kind. Special and multi-media exhibits on regional history, art, and culture. The Historic Tools and Industry Room, including a scale model of Chatham salt works, once a thriving Cape Cod industry in the early 1800's. The recently redecorated Durand Gallery, featuring the collections of the Durand family -- Sandwich threaded glass; Parian Ware; a prized collection of carved birds by A.E. Crowell; and seashells from around the world. The Joseph C. Lincoln Gallery containing manuscripts, first editions, illustrations and ephemera related to the Cape Cod author. The collection of the Chatham Historical Society includes approximately 3000 objects (paintings, decorative arts, maritime artifacts, etc.)--mainly American-made and mostly Chatham related. In addition, our archives contain about 2500 photographs, over 1600 books, and several thousand documents relating to the history of Chatham. These items have been (or are being) cataloged and are available to researchers either by visiting the Society or on the Internet.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Impatient & Rude staff”
Reviewed 2 July 2013

They hurried us along and told us it would be impossible to read all the descriptions...so that we shouldn't bother. House looked very interesting but our tour guide ruined our experience.

Visited July 2013
3 Thank Dotherightthingg

Wakefield, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Brilliant Museum”
Reviewed 18 June 2013

We visited on the first day of opening for this year's season and the entrance was free that day the usual cost if $6.00 per adult. We were provided with our own guided tour of the museum which was interesting and informative. The staff (volunteers?) are lovely and very helpful. We particularly liked the camp building outside where we met Don and his family. Don was so enthusiastic about the camp building having stayed there for many years with his family. We had a lovely time and would certainly recommend this museum to anyone visiting Chatham

Visited June 2013
2 Thank Toady42
Tinley Park, Illinois
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“A piece of history”
Reviewed 14 June 2013

If you like learning about the history of an area, this place is not to be missed. It may look small on e outside, but the inside is jam packed with history. Tours are informative.

Visited July 2012
1 Thank Margi S
Southport UK
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 96 helpful votes
“Marvellous little gem”
Reviewed 25 February 2013

Very quaint little museum.Some nice exhibits.
Great for passing a spare hour.
Very nice lady in the shop.
Bough a few lovely trinkets as gifts.

Visited June 2012
4 Thank jammaster66
Watervliet, New York
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Surprised to find Meneely Bells made in my home town”
Reviewed 13 October 2012

I researched new places to visit for this trip to Cape Cod. I came to Atwood house to see the old twin tower to Chatam Light. Nice little display of the lantern room outside. What I was surprised to find was a display of Meneely Bells that were made in my home town long ago. My dad is the president of the historical society here in Watervliet (formerly West Troy NY) so I've heard a lot about these bells from him. The museum was closed but I was able to talk to someone from the museum anyway. They were very friendly and helpful and sent me photos of the bell tower that used to house the Meneely bells they have on display. I took a few photos of the bells with my Ipad and several with my camera. I called my dad and emailed him photos from my ipad while I was away. I've been trying to get my mom and dad to take a trip to Cape Cod for years. I think your Meneely bell display will finally get them to go! Thanks so much for the help and emails! I will have to come back next time to tour the museum when you are open for business!

Visited October 2012