“First Class All the Way at Chatham Bars Inn”

Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Chatham
Norwalk, Connecticut
“First Class All the Way at Chatham Bars Inn”
Reviewed 20 September 2011

This is not an ordinary Inn. The Chatham Bars Inn has first class service with ammenities that you don't find at any other hotel, and I 've stayed in some exclusive places... First, the ambiance is absolutely gorgeous from the views of the ocean, to the beautifully landscaped grounds. They keep you busy

The hotel staff - This is one hotel where you feel as though every employee has been to the most elite ettiquette school in the world. They treat you like royalty. I was having a cocktail out on the veranda when I got a slight chill from the cooling temp and before I knew it, the hostess called me by name and handed me a cashmere blanket to wrap around me.

The food is amazing. There are great restaurants all around Chatham that they will provide a complimentary car service for but I recommend all their restarurants at the Inn. I had mini lobster rolls for a quick bite on the veranda that was delicious and then went into the tavern for the evening and had a delicious fresh pasta dish. Their brunch in the Main Dining Room is absolutely amazing and I think they serve it every day of the week. Lobster omelletes etc...

The rooms are elegant and have Cape Cod Charm. I have stayed there several times and there is not a bad room in the Inn. However, you can really treat yourself and stay in one of the spa suites or cottages which I do for special occassions. Since I left I have been looking for all the ammenities that were in my room for my own home - from the toilettries to the coffee maker to the beds!

And... take advantage of the concierge.

You won't be disappointed!

Room Tip: If you have kids then I recommend asking for a cottage that has a separate bedroom. The living area...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sarah B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (474)
New York, NY
Reviewed 19 September 2011

A beautiful, breathtaking view... whether staying here or just dropping in for the restaurants, this is a remarkable location not to be missed if you are visiting. I grew up spending my summers on Cape Cod, but fall is still my favorite season on the cape... quieter and cooler weather. A stay here in the fall is super romantic, it feels like you have the place to yourself!

We stayed here for our wedding night (also had our rehearsal dinner here), and the room was quintessential cape classic - very charming. I was surprised, however, that there was nothing special arranged for us, and I felt the overall service level lacked especially for such a special occasion. For a leading hotel, the service and quality here doesn't match other top notch hotels we've stayed in that are at the same price point. I think they need to up the level a few notches to remain competitive. The cost to quality ratio just doesn't match up, and for that reason this place fall short of expectations.

If you stay here, definitely take advantage of the free driver/shuttle service to anyplace in Chatham - it's a great perk!

A note on the spa - I got my nails done by Jennifer, and the manicure has lasted perfectly for 2 weeks now... amazing! The service and treatment by the spa professionals in unmatched... what a serene and lovely spa!

A note on their event planning - they are very disorganized and uncoordinated among the few women that run the events/weddings... they don't respond quickly, often miss information or misplace information already sent them, and sometimes don't even show up for appointments (this happened twice!). They need to really improve in this area - totally inexcusable for a top notch hotel.

It's hard to choose an overall rating ... I'd give it a 3.5 for the location, charm and great spa but the service and cost to quality is quite poor for a leading hotel.

Final verdict - visit the restaurant for a drink or dinner, but there are much better places to stay in the area.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank islabery
mgbriggs, Manager at Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 22 September 2011
Thanks for sharing some of your feedback on your recent wedding celebration at Chatham Bars Inn. I am happy to learn that your experience ranging from our cottage rooms to our restaurant choices and overall property were positive. We will also communicate your kind note regarding manicures in the spa to our staff and therapists.

I am sorry to hear that we missed your arrival amenity, which for special celebrations such as wedding celebrations, are carefully looked after in terms of sending champagne, light fare to accompany etc. In addition, I have communicated your comments with each of our catering managers who both had no prior knowledge of any service blemishes in recent months with any of our wedding events. We collectively would be interested to learn more from you.

Clarissa Davis, our Director of Catering can be reached by telephone at 508.945.6775 or I can also be reached at 508.945.6710. We appreciate the opportunity to discuss any concerns you may have had during your time with us.

Again, thank you for sharing your comments with us and others on Trip Advisor and we will look forward to welcoming you back for a future visit.

Regards,

Michael Briggs
Resort Manager
NY
Reviewed 19 September 2011

My husband and I went here for the first time. We stayed in a premium room that had a deck with a view of the bay. The room was very clean and large. It's is actually two rooms connected by a large bathroom. There are 2 flat screen TV's, 2 closets, AVEDA bath products, beautiful decor. The bed was super comfortable which is not always the case at a hotel. The hotel provides a car service to and from town if you don't want to walk the half mile or so. Based on the other reviews we did not eat at the hotel restaurant rather we enjoyed the places is town. It seems that the Impudent Oyster is the most popular restaurant and we were unable to get reservations there. We ate at the Wild Goose, Squires, and Celentino's- all great!The front desk will make reservations for you. The people at the bell stand as well as the front desk were very friendly and helpful. There is no charge to valet park your car either. Thought a pricey weekend, well worth it for a romantic getaway. There were families as well. The hotel has an activity schedule each day.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ODSmommy
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 18 September 2011

This resort has everything..Lovely rooms, ocean front, golf, pool and specular service. Very close to the Main St in Chatham were there are fantastic shops and restaurants. My only complaint was the charged for internet service which was not clear upon sign-on. Everything else was perfect!!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Cob55
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 17 September 2011

I attended a business meeting here for three days in September. I had heard a lot about the resort and wasn't dissapointed. In fact, I have no complaints. Let's start with the room, which was located on the top floor of the Seaview Cottage. As you enter, you walk into a very large sitting room with 42" flat screen tv, espresso maker, game table, beautiful bay windows and a large couch which could sit 4 comfortably. It was well-appointed with shabby Chic decor in blue and beige. Rooms come with Internet access for $10/day. Walking from the sitting room you enter the closet/bathroom area. The large closet had fluffy robes, slippers, extra down bed accessories, iron etc. Directly outside was a makeup table with sink and chair. The bathroom was a bit small, but was appointed with all Aveda products and plenty of towels. They replenish the products 2x/day and it always looks like you just checked into the room. The bedroom was as large as the sitting room with fireplace, another 42" flatscreen, a Bose radio systems, and another set of bay windows to match the front. And what a comfortable, fluffy bed, pillow and blankets. Loved the turn down service and always appreciated coming back at night to the blinds turned down and classical music playing on the radio - in addition to a clean bathroom.

The resort itself is large, with plenty to do for everyone - whether it's sitting on the beach, playing tennis, renting a boat or hanging at the pool (with food and drink at the Beachouse restaurant very close by). The resort is also .75 miles into town if you choose to browse the shops.

The food was fantastic! If you choose to have the breakfast buffet, I still can't get over the fruit bar! From cut up strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, mango, to carry away apples, plums, etc., this was pure delight. Of course there was also various breads, muffins, bagels, eggs, etc. Coffee was super! The other restaurants, whether for dinner or lunch were equally as delicious and the service impeccable. If you choose to eat away from the hotel, and have a car - suggest a trip to Abba - a unique, casual Tai, Seafood restaurant.

Overall, I was so pleasantly surprised at what a wonderful resort the Chatham Bars is. Zero complaints and highly recommend.

Room Tip: You can't go wrong with any of them. My group all talked about their rooms and there were trade...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank GRLTRAV
Niskayuna, New York
Reviewed 16 September 2011

It's lovely, absolutely lovely at the Chatham Bars Inn. I'm not really sure what else to say, honestly. Everything and everyone is lovely. I wish the weather had cooperated, but somethings are beyond even their control. My son walked into the room and said, "What a beautiful hotel room!" The linens are lovely, tub lovely, Nescafe coffee maker so enjoyable, the room is so spacious, grounds beautiful, pool delightful, etc. The only negative is the food at the beach restaurant is overpriced, but I guess you are paying for the view and location. The breakfast buffet is fabulous, and it's so enjoyable to be on the porch in the evening. If you can afford a stay, I doubt you will regret it.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank abc72
Sharon, Massachusetts
Reviewed 15 September 2011

We stayed at this inn (tho I think it should be called a hotel--seems larger than what I think of as an inn) before Labor Day, so we could avoid the Cape crowds. Though the inn has been completely renovated, it looked like something out of the Gatsby era. We ate at their restaurant for dinner--the food was excellent and a fabulous buffet breakfast came with our room, which was in their main dining room overlooking the ocean. If you like, you can have drinks, read a book or just relax on a huge wraparound porch overlooking the water. I can't say enough good things about this hotel.

Room Tip: Aside from the main hotel, they have other rooms in "cottages" across the street from the...
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank fml0814
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chatham
The Mansion at Ocean Edge Resort & Golf Club
Anchor In Hotel
Anchor In Hotel
#1 of 22 in Hyannis
Wequassett Resort and Golf Club

Been to Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!