“Gorgeous resort and LOVED the spa”

Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Chatham
Fairfield, Connecticut
“Gorgeous resort and LOVED the spa”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

CBI is a classic---gorgeous, meticulously maintained, and family friendly. Recently visited the spa which was great. Highly recommend the 'cabana massages' where the massage of your choice is given in an outdoor cabana on the adjoining patio (still very private). Breeze was so nice and relaxing. Very nice locker room with great steam showers and sauna. After having a service you have access to the quiet pool/hot tub which is very relaxing (you can order lunch there if you'd like). OVerall, the Spa was an excellent experience from start to finish. We go to CBI every year during our annual visit to Chatham (for dinner/clambake/drinks), but this was my first experience at the spa.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank TLHM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (467)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Overall this is a nice hotel with amenities you'd get at any 4-star hotel. The hotel consists of a main hotel building and then a multitude of detached buildings, either right on the beach or set back behind the hotel towards the center of chatham. We arrived late at night and after checking in at the front desk we were told our room was about a 10-min walk to one of the detached buildings. While this was certainly fine, we were not offered any help with our luggage (which we had a lot as there were 4 of us). This is usually a normal occurrence for any luxury hotel, and clearly as it was late and were exhausted from the long drive we felt a little taken a back that no one offered to help us. On the whole, the hotel is nice enough. The rooms are very typical Cape Cod in terms of the decor, and are a good size. It's surprisingly there really isn't another competitor for high quality hotels in chatham/cape cod, but this is really the only solid choice if you have certain expectations. Just don't except 'luxury' as you would in NYC, Chicago, etc.

Room Tip: Choosing one of the beach front buildings is definitely the way to go.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
resortmanagercbi, Manager at Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear chris5588:

Thank you for your recent review of Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa on Trip Advisor, we appreciate your feedback. I would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused during the arrival process, specifically with us not assisting with parking and luggage. I have discussed your comments with our Front of the House team as to ensure that we are proactive and ready to assist all guests, even during the late hours and overnight, as we would during the day. I can only hope that this was an isolated instance since we do have sufficient coverage during late evenings into the overnight hours.

We look forward to welcoming you back to CBI in the future where all members of our team are eager and ready to assist from the moment you arrive!

Regards,

Michael Briggs
Resort Manager
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Went here with the family for some rest and relaxation. No regrets, this is one very nice hotel. We booked a room near the beach, cost more but it's well worth it. This hotel is composed of several detached buildings, and I can understand how you may not enjoy it if you got a room that was in one of the buildings that was furthest from the beach. It was still cold in April though so we weren't able to maximize the ocean setting. Lobby staff were very helpful and pleasant. Several restaurants available. The crowd that time was mostly composed of older couples and young families. Free wifi at the lobby and free parking

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I have been traveling to Chatham and visiting the Chatham Bars Inn (CBI) for 7 years and the beautiful landscape of the property never ceases to amaze me and that is only one of the reasons I chose this resort for my wedding at the end of June. The service is excellent, the quality of the inn and surrounding cottages (including rooms, restaurants) beach house, pool, and spa cannot be beat and everyone goes out of their way to make sure you feel pampered. I loved working with Clarissa and Kate for my wedding coordination - they were incredibly responsive and organized - which made my life as a summer bride so easy. The food for the wedding was delicious as expected since it was prepared in-house. I give this resort and its staff a 10 out 10 and I would absolutely recommend visiting CBI. And for the brides still searching out there - this venue isn't one that you can pass up once you visit it!!

Room Tip: Front of the main inn and the cottages all face the water - best views at the resort!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank JCOC2014
Chatham, New Jersey
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Love love love the Chatham Bars Inn. The staff is exceptional, the property is stunning and it is fun for kids. We did the Pirate cruise with our 7 year old son and he loved it. The clam bake was a blast! We had a delicious dinner and all of the kids were able to play on the sand with counselors organizing fun games. Our only complaint was the room was a little small and the cot was not the most comfortable for my son. Overall a spectacular Cape vacation!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Massachusetts
Reviewed 25 July 2014

While billed as a five star resort, it is really nothing more than an average hotel. I think they rest on their laurels of being one of the nicer and/or fancier properties on the Cape. Unfortunately, it is all relative as most Cape properties are really sub-par.

Be warned that this hotel caters to families with young children. There is no segregation in the dining areas. If you are there as a couple having a romantic getaway, it is highly likely you will be surrounded on three sides by tables with screaming toddlers. The parents, and apparently the hotel, care not about the overall disruption this causes. The only segregation occurs if you stay in the "Spa Building", but that is room only. If you are anywhere else on the property, you will hear shrieking. Not a five star atmosphere experience.

The pool, beach and bell staff seem to be composed primarily of privileged youth who have "summered on the Cape" since they were little. It is pretty apparent they are there to polish their conversational skills in preparation for the corporate world. Their life goal is not service related at all. Many were ill equipped to answer the most basic of questions. Not a five star service experience.

The food was okay, and just okay. Too much salt and butter overall. The one saving grace in the food category is the fact that for their vegetables, they have their own farm which provides some great produce for salads and sides. My husband had the $83 lobster special in Stars, it didn't hold a candle to the flavor of the lobster bisque at the Chatham Squire restaurant. Not a five star food experience.

One of the oddest things was the furniture. The main lodge, queen suite room we had was furnished with items that looked like they came from a 1978 Motel 6 - I am not kidding. Yet, it was kept clean.

Finally to top off our stay, at midnight on a Thursday, there was a lot of commotion in the hallway which woke us. At first I thought it was a teenage girl calling down the hall to a friend - after 10 minutes of noise, I looked out of my door. It was a drunk woman swearing like a sailor at her husband. There was an employee of the hotel watching over the situation, but doing nothing. I can't help but wonder if he was waiting for back up. I asked how long I could expect this to go on. He took a very irritated tone with me as though it was somehow my fault. I just wanted to know if I could go back to my not-so-five-star-sleep, or if I should get my book to read until all was quiet. Not a five star response.

I can not recommend this hotel based on what you actually get compared to what you pay.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank KayJay317
resortmanagercbi, Manager at Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear Kay Jay 317:

Thank you for your recent review of Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa on Trip Advisor, we greatly value your feedback. I would like to extend my sincere apologies for the overall experience you had while staying with us. I would greatly appreciate having an opportunity to discuss your feedback together, if you are able to contact my office at time convenient. My direct line is 508.945.6710.

Again, thank you for your candid and constructive feedback and we look forward to hearing from you soon.

Truly,

Michael Briggs
Resort Manager
Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa
mbriggs@chathambarsinn.com
508.945.6710
Boston, Ma
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Went there for drinks and appetizers . Have stayed there once before and grounds are trully stunning in summertime. Everything great the only suggestion is the wait staff doenst seem to have table assignments manged very well. Waiters and Waitress working tables on grass area then by the back bar which doesnt handle drink service. Outside staff go into inside bar area for drinks when there is a outside bar doing little to none.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chatham
The Mansion at Ocean Edge Resort & Golf Club
Red Jacket Beach Resort & Spa
Red Jacket Beach Resort & Spa
#4 of 21 in South Yarmouth
Wequassett Resort and Golf Club

Been to Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!