“Chatham Bars Inn - Way to Go”

Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Chatham
Reviewed 18 August 2014

My wife and i, along with my parents, my brother and his wife, spent 4 glorious days at the Chatham Bars Inn. We had never been to the Cape before and were not quite sure what to expect that we knew we were going to be in lobster and chowder heaven. When we pulled up to hotel, with the water right next to us, I have to admit i was a little surprised about how old the hotel looked -- but that was the beginning of the charm and character that Chatham Bars puts out to everyone. From the moment we pulled in -- some of the best valet crew i have ever seen to everyone else in the hotel, this was a great hotel. The concierges, the front desk folks -- everything first class. We stayed in the Main Inn -- and the rooms were, as the web site mentioned "quaint" but they were well appointed and had everything you needed. i cannot say enough about this hotel --- we are definitely going to be going back -- and not just for the lobster and chowder --- because this hotel is a place one wants to be and hang out for a while.

Room Tip: check the sizes and get a room that is right for you.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 17 August 2014

First, the good - This hotel is beautiful, particularly the public rooms and the views, the flowers and landscaping. It overlooks the ocean, has a lovely beach and is a short walk to charming Chatham. The Stars breakfast buffet is very good, and it was wonderful to eat breakfast every morning on the Veranda overlooking the ocean. There was a talented guitarist (Joe) on Friday and Saturday night at the outdoor bar next to the main resort and it was pleasant to sit and listen to the music while sipping a cocktail and having a bite to eat. We really liked this aspect - a nice, casual alternative to eating a more formal dinner in the main dining room. Hector, the bartender, was exemplary in terms of both service and knowledge. Although the bar was somewhat crowded the day before, he remembered what my husband and I had ordered when I couldn't remember the name of the specialty drink I had. He also assisted my husband in getting his sushi order when we changed locations from the South Lounge to the lobby due to the loud noise caused by nearby children.......which brings me to the negative aspects of this review.
Our "room with balcony" was located in the main building overlooking a large air conditioning unit and not much else. We immediately spoke to the front desk about it, feeling that if we were paying in excess of $500 per night for a balcony room, we should be looking at something besides an air conditioner. They explained that this was high season and no rooms were available that evening, but they would check the next day (we were staying four nights). We checked every day and there was never anything available for us to move to, which was puzzling because we saw people checking out. On the third day, we were offered an upgrade to an ocean-front cottage, but we didn't want to pay $895.00 per night. I mention this so that when you are booking a room, make sure you know exactly what your view will be.
The other issue to be aware of is the constant noise and disruption by crying, whining, screaming, very badly behaved children. Please don't get me wrong, I have two children myself. And I realize that people with young children want to spend their vacation in nice hotels like everyone else and it is good business to market to families, particularly in the short summer season. But there were so many instances of out of control behavior by children that were ignored by both the parents and the hotel, it became an issue for us. Twice we actually had to leave an area because of the noise level of a few children (and parents who ignored them) who spoiled it for all. If you are looking to have a quiet, relaxing vacation, this may not be the hotel for you. Yes, you can go to the Spa Building where children are not allowed, but it is nowhere near as nice as the other areas of the hotel and does not have the views.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask exactly what your view will be. Our "deluxe room with balcony" looked at an...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lynn B
resortmanagercbi, Manager at Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Dear Lynn B:

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us and others on Trip Advisor. We appreciated the positive comments regarding your overall experience, lesser the room location and some noise concerns from families staying at the Inn. Please allow me to extend our apologies that we were unable to accommodate another room during your time with us. If we did in fact have an ocean view upgrade on the third day, I only wish that we had been able to work out the rate difference with you, considering the dissatisfaction expressed prior. I plan to discuss your constructive comments with our leadership team at the front desk, so that we can handle something like this more proactively in the future.

If you wish to discuss your review with me in greater detail, I can be reached anytime at 508.945.6710. We hope that despite your first impressions of our facilities coupled with the time of year when families do stay during summer vacation, you might give us another opportunity in the future to better showcase all of the great things we have to offer.

I look forward to welcoming you back under more pleasant and quiet circumstances next time around.
Regards,

Michael Briggs
Resort Manager
Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa
mbriggs@chathambarsinn.com
508.945.6710

Reviewed 15 August 2014

What a magical spot. This 4 night stay stay came at the end of a 16 day New England tour and was just perfect. We arrived on the day of a wedding and it was very busy but atmosphere fun. After that the resort really calmed down. The setting is spectacular and the service exemplary. We ate at the Sacred Cod, enjoyed the Clam Bake and had a fantastic dinner at Stars. The highlights were perhaps a couple of long walks around the North Island which Captain David runs a shuttle boat to every half an hour or so - if he can steer round the seals. It's not cheap but travelling from the UK with the exchange rate where it is this represents great value for money.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 August 2014

This resort reminded me, on arrival, of childhood memories of the East Anglian coast, but with the luxuries and weather required for this more grown up holiday. It consist of a main building with some of the restaurants and administration and then a collection of properties running alongside a private beach, with water sport facilities. Our trip consisted of lovely meals, the Stars restaurant lacks a little in atmosphere, but the steaks were of the highest quality, walks into the pretty village of Chatham, boat trips to the sand banks to watch the seals playing and relaxing by the pool with a strawberry daiquiri. It was wonderfully relaxing, the rooms were of an excellent standard, small, but with all the expected facilities and a pretty terrace looking out to sea. I would return, but make sure you don't travel at the beginning of the weekdn. 7.5 hours by car from New York (260 miles)

Room Tip: Make sure you have a sea view, preferably in one of the properties on the coastal side of Shore Road
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Booked a room here last minute for the weekend and we were so glad we did. Yes it's expensive, but when you consider the incredible service and the huge property, it all makes sense.
We booked a basic room, were upgraded to a cottage on arrival. Our room wasn't ready so we hit the pool. Service was great, yes they are all young kids but there are about 5 for each guest that can cater to your every need. Food is excellent, drinks are great. Property is stunningly beautiful, especially in the evening. Rooms are classic cape cod, impeccably clean and comfortable. No it's not the Four Seasons, but they are not trying to be. This is such a romantic and charming place, family & couple friendly & with zero pretence. Received several emails after our stay following up on our stay and the level of service we received. Can't really say enough great things about it. Highly recommend, we can't wait to return!

Room Tip: All of the rooms are beautiful, we were upgraded to a cottage, one bedroom with a small tv living ro...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DNB25
Reviewed 13 August 2014

The spa is beautiful, off to the side of the main resort. Parking is not a problem if you are driving. It's best to plan ahead and make your appointment before you arrive. There is an outdoor private pool for spa guests. It's nice to relax outside (weather permitting) before or after your treatment. I have been to the spa three times. Twice I had very good experiences and one time not as good. Two times all went according to plan, arrival, relaxation, a swim, then my treatment. On the third visit, I was left in the waiting area in my robe and they missed calling me and thus I missed my appointment. I had to return another day to have my treatment. For lunch, my friends and I eat either at the hotel beach club or we stop in town before arrival and pick up salads and eat by the pool. The spa also offers a comprehensive menu from the main dining room of the hotel.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We "had" a favorite restaurant for our yearly anniversary dinner. Although it remains a favorite (The Yarmouth Inn) we changed tradition and tried Chatham Bars Inn to celebrate. We had no regret! The service was wonderful, the food was off the charts, however, the prices reflected this. A great location for special events, right on the ocean. While we did not stay there, is a resort and spa so there are rooms available. Recommended for a special night out of dining if you want pampering and great food!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CAM610
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chatham
The Mansion at Ocean Edge Resort & Golf Club
#1 of 22 in Hyannis
Blue Water on the Ocean
Blue Water on the Ocean
#6 of 21 in South Yarmouth

Been to Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!