“Reasonable Budget Hotel”

Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Danvers
Fair Oaks Ranch, Texas
“Reasonable Budget Hotel”
Reviewed 20 January 2014

We had a good stay at this hotel. I read the other reviews and assume that timing might be a big factor. The hotel was undergoing reservation and there were certainly things out of place, more messy than I would expect and a bit chaotic in the lobby. There were shipping containers in the parking lot due to construction. The hallways in the areas that were not remodeled and elevators definitely showed their age.

But, we stayed in one of the remodeled rooms. Very clean modern look. Basic amenities, a bit spartan, but nice. Met our expectations. We had no problems. The staff were friendly. Room was clean. Maybe we would have felt different if we stayed in one of the older room? I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Request one of the remodeled rooms.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank JWBFOR

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

When we pulled into the lot, we saw some trim falling from a second-floor balcony. That should have been the tip-off...but we needed a cheap room for four people for two nights, and I figured after all the complaints, they must have addressed many of the complaints by now. Boy, was I wrong.
Checked in late on a Friday night for a last-minute 2-night stay due to an issue with with our home. Motel was in the process of laying down a new tile floor in the lobby and downstairs hallway. I actually saw this as a good sign, that maybe, just MAYBE, they were seeking to improve their image. But then, after check-in (desk attendant was efficient enough), as I opened the door and went to the elevator, two very shady characters came out, looked me up and down like I was new meat, and made me EXTREMELY nervous.
My husband and I went downstairs to get some soda and snacks from the vending machines and were told by the desk clerk that due to the renovations, they were unavailable. What exactly the renovations have to do with vending machines I do not know...if they were getting new ones, they should keep the old ones available until the new machines come in, I would think. So we had to leave my son with my brother-in-law at eleven o'clock to drive in a snowstorm to a Cumberland Farms up Route 1.
Some similar scary characters to those I encountered on my way in were standing outside the front entrance when we got back a midnight. Just standing...waiting for SOMETHING...in the cold & snow. I could only imagine who & what they were waiting for.
One of the two elevators seemed stuck on the fourth floor (which was the case for the rest of our stay, as well), and it took FOREVER for the other to arrive. Finally, it did, and we got into the old, rickety, scary elevator...I thought briefly of taking the stairs from there on in during my stay, but the thought of one of those sleazy, scary people meeting me in the staircase late one of those nights made the choice for me.
Walking down the hallway to our room, smells abounded...cigars, cigarettes, take-out and fast-food smells, faint smells of cleanser that were obviously not strong enough to actually work...and we got to our room. My key card didn't work, my husband's did. Being as late as it was and even more tired, I decided to just put the issue off until the morning.
My brother-in-law mentioned when we got there the strong smell of marijuana permeating the hallway. My husband and I decided we were going to make sure the door was locked nice and tight before going to bed.
It took me forever to go to sleep because 1(the beds are like laying on concrete slabs; 2) I was afraid to get under the covers because the when we pulled the bedspread back the linens were stained and full of holes and 3) I was afraid of the scary people outside.
The next morning I went to take a shower and noticed quite a bit of mildew in the crevices of the shower. Otherwise, it was clean, I was freezing and exhausted and wanted a nice hot shower. Of course, this didn't happen because it took five minutes for the shower to heat up to barely lukewarm and the pressure was so bad, I could have gotten wetter in a rain sprinkle.
Going downstairs the next morning, I encountered several doors open to rooms that obviously had families living in them, and for quite some time. It was then that I fully realized that the place was basically being used as a homeless shelter. (I had read this in previous reviews, and I guess I was in denial this could possibly be true.) The coffee downstairs, even first thing in the morning, was horribly bad sludge, with fake powdered coffee creamer and tiny styrofoam cups to put it in.
The renovations also meant that the pool was shut down...but from what I experienced...I don't think we would want to have been anywhere near it.
After running a couple of errands, we came back to the room, and my husband attempted to go online to do some work. Even though they advertise 'Wifi Available', what they don't mention until you go to log in is that; a) it's NOT free; and b) it's MISERABLY SLOW! Luckily, my husband has a hotspot, so that didn't affect his work.
On my way out to take my son to an engagement, the maid, who was working on a room a few down from us that was obviously one of those inhabited by a family of at least six, asked if I wanted my room cleaned. Are you kidding? Isn't that something they're supposed to do anyway? I told her my husband was still in the room, and she can ask him what needs to be done.
Our second night was spent in our locked room, afraid to go out after dark, eating Pizza Hut and trying to watch the tiny 19' TV that has about 12 channels (including HBO with no controls to prevent our five-year-old from putting it on)...a remote that only moved the channels down instead of up, and buttons you had to BANG ON for it to work.
My brother-in-law has woken up both mornings covered in hives...from God-knows-what!
We're about to check out (THANK GOD!)...not sure when exciting encounter will await us there but I will never be so happy to see my house again in my entire life.
Trust me, spend a few extra dollars and go to the Comfort Inn up the street...I'm sure wishing that's what we had done.

Stayed December 2013
Motel6, Public Relations Manager at Motel 6 Boston North - Danvers, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
Dear Ann B, Thank you for sharing your review. We apologize for the unpleasant stay
you had as a result of the cleanliness, maintenance issues you experienced. These conditions are not consistent with Motel 6 standards for quality, and we encourage you to contact our
Guest Relations Department so they can have a record of your experience to help us
provide our guests with better service in the future: 1-800-577-3435.

Travellers are raving about these Danvers hotels

NY
Reviewed 4 November 2013

During our stay my iPod and my wife's DS were stolen from our room. When brought to the attention of the manager they offered no assistance and insisted we had been careless. Motel 6 apparently has no procedure for missing items, and one desk clerk even went so far as to assure me that this sort of thing had never happened before despite the motel being over 17 years old. Both items went missing on the same day, and had been left in the room.

Beyond that, our experience of this dive was similar to the other reviews: Frequent police visits to the motel to deal with unruly guests; cigarette burns in the bedding and carpet; vending machines that eat your money; the smell of pot smoke everywhere; and a partridge in a pear tree. Well, not the last bit. That would have been vaguely pleasant.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank soapmode
Freehold, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Would not recommend this hotel to anyone. You get what you pay for. The place smelled..BAD. There were people lingering outside late at night and cops at the front desk when we came back at night. The worst part were the stains on the sheets...it was desigusting. Not staying there again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Highland, New York
Reviewed 10 October 2013

We walked in and the room smelled like smoke even though it was a non smoking room. Room was clean. Service personnel were helpful.
Many strange people hanging around hotel. We thought we would try Motel 6 . I would stay there again if I had to.

• Stayed October 2013
Dunnellon, Florida
Reviewed 9 October 2013

This place has definitely improved since I was last here in 2009. The rooms have been painted and the shower\bathtub was somewhat new. They got rid of the nasty, stained chairs and replaced them with wooden chairs. Not too comfortable, but at least you know you are not sitting in someone's juices. The parking lot has been recently sealed and the front is nicely landscaped.

The bed was pretty comfortable. I would have like another pillow or two, but slept very well our two nights there. The sheets were thin, but definitely clean. It would be nice if the mattress pad covered the whole bed. Not a show stopper.

The TV was a joke. That would be my only real complaint. A decent flat screen would improve the experience a great deal. Maybe when we return at the end of November...

This is a high volume, budget hotel. There are definite signs of wear and tear, but they do seem to be trying to up their standards. I have to give them credit for that. They are doing a nice job so far. I hope they keep at it.

The staff was phenomenal. They were very friendly to us and our doggies. They held doors open and always greeted us and the dogs when we passed through.

I give them three stars only because I just can't quite go to four. The place has a lot of promise and we are definitely returning soon. Already have reservations, in fact. It's a good deal, in a great location, and pet friendly to boot!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 October 2013

Awful smell..
Staff and house keeping are very nice. There are two New managers and one is very rude.
I witnessed one of the managers rudeness and If I could report her I would. Just don't know her whole name.
This is also where homeless drug addicts stay until they get placed.
And if I'm not mistaken she was being rude to one of them.
Anyone that goes back or stays here PLEASE call out on her
She is of white ethnicity, big and blonde

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Runawaylove
Motel6, Public Relations Manager at Motel 6 Boston North - Danvers, responded to this review, 18 October 2013
Dear Runawaylove,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. The odor conditions and poor guest service you wtinessed are not consistent with our standards for quality at Motel 6, and we sincerely apologize for your unpleasant stay. Please kindly contact our Guest Relations department so they can have a record of your experience to help us provide you and our other guests with better service in the future: 1-800-577-3435.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Danvers
North Shore Hotel
TownePlace Suites Boston North Shore/Danvers
Residence Inn Boston North Shore/Danvers
SpringHill Suites Boston Peabody
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Boston North Shore

Been to Motel 6 Boston North - Danvers? Share your experiences!