“Weekend in Marblehead”

Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Danvers
Richmond, Virginia
“Weekend in Marblehead”
Reviewed 3 February 2014

I used Marriott points to stay for two nights while attending a family event in Marblehead. It's not really that close to Marblehead, but there aren't too many other hotel choices in the area. For some reason, the hotels location on GPS doesn't match its actual one, so you'll need to continue on the service road towards the Home Depot to find it. The hotel itself is clean and comfortable and the staff was very cordial and helpful. I would recommend it.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank BR51
Jennifer B, General Manager at Courtyard Boston Danvers, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
Thank you so much for your kind comments. Our guest experience is our main goal and I appreciate you taking the time to write about yours. I am sorry about the GPS confusion and I have added directions to our website to assist with that. I hope your family event was a success and I hope to welcome you back again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Washington DC
Reviewed 22 December 2013 via mobile

This hotel is attractive from the outside and in, and the rooms are quite clean and fairly roomy. While all of these factors are probably the most important, they won't be what I'll remember once I'm gone. Instead I'll remember that the breakfast is not included - a fairly standard practice in this class of hotel - that I had to pay for coffee that was brought out from some back room, and most annoyingly that my family was placed directly next to a large group that spent the evening running back from room to room in spite of the fact that I asked for a quiet room away from noise (there were about 10 cars in the lot during my holiday stay).

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank DaJoos
Connecticut
Reviewed 11 December 2013

We're Marriott regulars (business and pleasure) and were really disappointed in this property. Before I get to the negatives, though, we want to mention a positive. Dottie at the front desk was warm and welcoming and very helpful. She's a big plus for this property.

Now, the negatives (where do we start):

* Though I did get an email from the hotel after I booked telling me their elevator was out of service for 6 weeks, it should be noted on their web site.

- After settling in our room, and ordering dinner to be delivered from a local restaurant, we went down to the lobby to order a drink at the bar while waiting for our food to arrive. The young man at the cafe/bar was NOT welcoming in his demeanor. Almost felt like we were bothering him being there. I ordered bourbon on the rocks and was shocked when he told me the drink cost over $12. When I asked him for an explanation he said the bourbon was $8.75 but the ice (AKA "rocks") were $3 extra. Needless to say I was incredulous. I said to him "You're telling me that you charge for ice"? and he said "Yes". When I restated my question and said "So, if I ordered the bourbon and took the drink to my room where I could add ice I would pay $8.75". He said "Yes". Still incredulous, I said "That can't be right". He turned the computer toward me and showed me my itemized bill and said "see, it says rocks are $3". I asked to see the night manager who came over and confirmed the bill. She said, "When you get a drink like bourbon on the rocks we pour more bourbon than if you didn't get ice". I have never heard of such a thing and - if this is a Marriott policy - the hotel staff should be required to state this before ringing a customer out.

My wife ordered a gin and tonic with limes and the server disappeared for what seemed like a long time. The night manager finally told us they had no limes and asked if we would like lemon slices. OK, no limes but, sure, we'll take lemons. In a while the original server came out with some sliced lemon wedges and asked "do you want me to just dump them in the glass?". Not the description we're used to. Strange.

• After sorting this all out I went and sat with my wife in front of the fireplace (it was COLD winter night). The fire was not burning so we asked the new person at the front desk (Dottie had gone home for the day) if they could turn it on and the young lady had no idea how this was done. But, she said she would check. After a while the night manager came over and said that the fireplace was out of order. Huh? I asked her about it and she said that it needed a new part and it had been ordered a while ago. She wasn't sure when it would be fixed. By the way, the fireplace area had dust all over. Clearly hadn't been cleaned for a long time. Oh well.

• We had a decent night's sleep on a decent bed and looked forward to a good hot shower the next morning. Not happening. The water pressure went from normal to dribble and the hot water went from hot to lukewarm. Not good.

NOTE: Not sure the hotel can be held responsible for the difficulty we had finding this Courtyard Marriott. Our GPS kept telling us to get off at an exit which had us going in circles. Turns out (accruing to people at the front desk) that there has apparently been some highway reconstruction that changes how you get to the property, which by the way is located behind a mall. Probably would be a good idea for the hotel web site to make this clear…

We won't be back, nor will we recommend this place to anyone.

Room Tip: We were in room 301 next to elevator. Since elevators were out of service, there wasn't a noise...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank smalltowns
Longwood, Florida, United States
Reviewed 9 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed here to participate in the Halloween celebrations in Salem. We had two rooms and the beds were comfortable. The water was hot and strong.

My only issue lies in the location. Danvers has a strange layout of highways that makes you constantly circle the whole town if you need to go the opposite direction. There is no opportunity to change directions with the highways. It was odd.

Nearby there is an excellent bagel place, World of Bagels, I think. We enjoyed the breakfast there. There wasn't a complimentary breakfast at this location.

The bar situation was even stranger. I think I threw the employee for a loop asking for a Starbucks Mocha Latte with Bailey's liquor. He had to call over the manager. I just changed it to a Cosmo, which was equally as baffling for him. At one point he became rude with another patron who was trying to order drinks or he and his wife. He required everyone to "come to him" and show him their ID, while watching a baseball game. The patrons were not please. His attitude about the request was the problem, not the actual request.

I don't think I would stay here again because the location is inconvenient, but the rooms were up to par.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Lisa F
NYC
Reviewed 18 November 2013

We did a college visit in Salem and I was very happy with our select of the Courtyard Marriot. Even though it was one night the stay was great. Clean rooms, great staff members; helped with different directions; and very convenient to the North shore Mall, which my wife and daughter loved. The elevators were under maintenances but they did a great job acuminated us. We will come again, thank you.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
Reviewed 7 November 2013

We stayed here one night in August when all the hotels in Salem were fully booked.
The rooms are well appointed ( a little generic but this isn't a b&b, right?), clean, with good bedding.
The kids enjoyed a dip in the pool and the business center was useful.
There's a shopping mall right around the corner and plenty of restaurants (we ended up at Acapulco, a kid's favorite)
A good place for a stopover on the way to Boston.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Napa Ca.
Reviewed 6 November 2013

We usually stay at the Salem Waterfront Hotel when back East- It was Halloween Week so Salem was out of the question. We have stayed here four trips previously- The Hotel was recently remodeled and has lost a bit of it's "Homey" feel. They have given it the "Normal" Marriott remodel with the "New" Bistro look in the lobby- No more free coffee in the mornings. You must now buy a Starbuck's coffee at $4.00 per cup. There are no Microwave's in the rooms any longer.A glass of Pinot Noir is $9.23 per glass. The hotel is VERY clean and comfortable and well appointed. The beds are clean and rooms newly painted. Within the remodel process they seemed to have raised the price to over $200.00 per night. My "Normal" Corporate rate at Salem Waterfront is $129.00 per night. The hotel is very conveniently located and easy access to all local attractions.Mall and 10 screen theater close by within walking distance.Several "Local" restaurants also walkable. The Hotel is clean and comfortable but a bit "Corporate" now. It is a GOOD back up if Salem Waterfront is unavailable -4 Nights was over $900.00. Great staff on duty at all times and they will accomodate any special needs happily.It is Corporate and you get what you expect and PAY for. BW/Napa.

Room Tip: Ask for a microwave. Kelly's Roast Beef within walking distance has great Roast Beef Sandwiches...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank BrianNapaCa_
Also consider these accommodations in or near Danvers
Boston Marriott Peabody
North Shore Hotel
North Shore Hotel
#3 of 9 in Danvers
SpringHill Suites Boston Peabody
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Boston North Shore
Residence Inn Boston North Shore/Danvers
TownePlace Suites Boston North Shore/Danvers

Been to Courtyard Boston Danvers? Share your experiences!