“One memorable meal last year, another this year we want to forget”
Review of The Ebb Tide

The Ebb Tide
Ranked #13 of 47 Restaurants in Dennis Port
Price range: US$19 - US$34
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: A true Cape Cod Classic! Built around an original Cape Cod sea captain’s home, the Ebb Tide serves fresh, local seafood, whole lobsters and prime beef in five intimate dining rooms. Three-Course Dinner Specials offered 5pm-6pm. Open May – September.
Reviewed 23 September 2013

We had a very special birthday dinner here last year that we kept raving about to all our friends. The food was delicious, the service excellent, the entire evening highly memorable. Our experience made such an impression on our friends who have been looking for a special restaurant on Cape, that when they wanted to treat us to dinner, they took us here on a Sunday night.

Well the evening this year was memorable (or forgettable), but for a whole different reason. Not only did we not enjoy our food, but 2 of us got sick from it the next day, the other 2 just had bad taste in our mouths. More specifically the End-Cut Prime Rib I had, came with a crust that I had trouble cutting through. My friend who also had Prime Rib (regular cut) had trouble cutting through his, it was so chewy. The salads 3 of us had were limp, while the Clam Chowder was tasteless, full of potatoes, not clams visible. The squash side dish was lumpy, while the Garlic Mashed Potatoes, had some dark slivers in it, but without flavor. The included desert of Ice Cream was only a fraction of a spoonful, the slice of pie was the only thing that could be described as delicious. The bill for the 4 of us with 1 drink each, was about $160 before tip.

After emailing the restaurant the same night about my disappointing experience, I waited 3 days for a callback, none came. When I called and asked for a manager on Wed afternoon, she told me they were just discussing the matter (only 3 days later...) and she would get back to me. When she did, I almost felt reprimanded that I did not complain while still at the restaurant and I explained that since my friends took me there based on my recommendation, I was embarrased to do so in front of them.

The manager then offered to send us a Gift-Certificate so all 4 of us could return for a better experience. After waiting for a week, nothing arrived in the mail. When I called again to speak to the manager, she said the certificate was there and would we just want to come and use it and I said to please mail it to us first. Another week later I called and was told she sent it in the mail. When I called again 3 weeks later, she said she will mail it again. Within a few days the Gift-Cert did arrive, for a $60 value, supposedly to enable 4 of us to have a better experience - what a joke!

Having a bad meal, having to call 3 days later to discuss it with a manager after submitting feedback, being misled about mailing the Gift-Cert, implying it would be for 4 people, then it being less than half of what we paid the 1st time, do not show either caring about reputation or customer service.

One good experience, one bad one, for us its the last time going there, as I get better odds at a Casino.

Reviewed 18 September 2013

We ate here for the first time a week ago and made it early enough for their $27 3-course meal. (They are only open late-week & weekend at this point in the Fall, so call or check their website before showing up!) There were a number of choices on the special menu, as well as lots on their regular menu. My wife and I both enjoyed our seafood entrees. The chocolate mousse for dessert was just average, as was our server who didn't seem all that happy to be serving customers! It didn't take away from our dinner though, and we will probably return.

Reviewed 17 September 2013

The Ebb Tide is an institution in Dennisport. It also has always been very traditional, serving typical New England food, not overly creative This can be a very good thing, or boring. In the past, it has been close to boring. BUT, the other night, we tasted traditional New England fare that was fresh, well presented and top of the line. Gone was butternut squash as a side dish (always served in the summer, when it is a winter vegetable. Where were all of the nice summer vegetables?), and in its place, delicious green beans. The garlic mashed potatoes were authentic, with a few lumps. What can I say about the Lobster Fritters? They are OUTSTANDING! I haven't seen them on any other Cape restaurant menu, which is surprising. The restaurant itself is in pristine condition, very comfortable and warm. My party had prime rib, swordfish, and scallops, which were all excellent. The restaurant closes at the end of September, but be sure to be in line when they open in the spring.

Reviewed 12 September 2013

We loved the beet salad with goat cheese and fresh greens! The service was excellent and our fish was wonderful. We like that salad so much that we went back a second time and had just the salad!

Reviewed 11 September 2013

My husband and I visited the Ebb Tide on our first night in Dennisport. We were seated right away. The wine list was nice, the service was impeccable, and the food arrived hot and promptly. We both enjoyed our meals.

2  Thank AnnB395