“A Cape Staple”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Essex, Vermont
“A Cape Staple”
Reviewed 22 August 2013

The restaurant has been updated somewhat, the waitstaff was good and the dinner was delicious. We had the clam chowder and it was excellent, not too thick with just the right amount of seasoning, clams and potato. One member of our party ordered the lamb lollipops appetizer. This could have been a meal because the lollipops were actually four lamb chops cooked to perfection!
I had the bluefish which was outstanding. Other dinners ordered were halibut and bake stuffed shrimp, they were good, not anything special. They serve a variety of beer, wine and cocktails. Swan River has one of the best views in Dennis. I will continue to go back.

• Visited June 2013

Troy, New York
“Worst meal on the Cape”
Reviewed 21 August 2013

Been going to Swan River for over 25 years & had the worst meal ever this year. Arrived a little before five thirty. Seated immediately at a great window table. My parents ordered broiled scallops, I ordered a seafood medley off the early bird menu. I also had the chowder which had always been one of my favorite parts. There were congealed pieces of cream in it and it was more potatoes & celery than clams. They had severely limited their salad dressing choices to three. When the meals came, my parents were served the early bird which has a considerably smaller portion than the menu items. When we discussed it with the owner, she said the waiter, who was really sweet, must have gotten confused. It was only his third day.
My family and I had always loved this place, the view is amazing and the food had always been great, but we left sorely disappointed. The owner offer us a card to come back but we refused, why punish ourselves twice when there are so many amazing places to eat on the Cape.

Southern Pines, North Carolina
“Forget the food; it's about attitude!”
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Let's face it, lobster is lobster and we love lobster, and, the lobster was good. HOWEVER, the owner had such a non-caring attitude, it was pathetic. Thank God we can afford to travel and eat out, however, when you order a clambake worth about $50.00 for 2, a couple of glasses of wine and then the dish comes with one half (more like a 1/4 ear of corn) and you ask for one more piece for your mate, no problem. Until the BILL comes - $2.50 for a 1/4 piece of corn!!!! It's a matter of principle and when I told her she was "cheating" the public, she took offense. How many other suckers do they do that to? The wait staff, Terri and Denni were wonderful and I think they were embarassed by the owner's handling of this. She offered to give me back the $2.50 and I said, give it to your waitress - yeah, like you think she did? Anyway, that was the 2nd night within 3 days that we ate there. I don't think I have enough room to tell you how 2 nights before the bill came to $60 plus and 16 cents change; my husband only had coins for .15 and she literally gave him .99 in change!!!!!!! That's business in America today and if we don't speak up, we are in bigger trouble than we think!!! Owner, get a life!!!

1 Thank Garier
Worcester, Massachusetts
“Very disappointing”
Reviewed 13 August 2013

We ordered the shrimp cocktail which was that floppy previously frozen kind and the cocktail sauce tasted like it was just ketchup. I had one bite and was all set. The dinner rolls tasted like they were microwaved. When reading the menu, everything sounds like its going to be delicious....however, I ordered a special blackened blue fish that was topped with a fresh peach salsa. There was no peach, it was just a spicy tomato and onion pico de gallo over an over seasoned piece of fish. The waitress also forgot to order my 2 year olds meal, which arrived 10 minutes after our meals.

Beaufort, South Carolina
“Better than expected”
Reviewed 7 August 2013 via mobile

Wonderful setting with water views. All our 4 dinners were very good and the service was great. Possibly because there were so few customers. Mid week but mid summer so we expected a crowd.

• Visited July 2013