“No ordinary Inn!”
Review of Nauset House Inn

Nauset House Inn
Ranked #1 of 5 East Orleans B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 October 2013

This is no ordinary inn. For Cape Cod or elsewhere. A stay at the Nauset House Inn is a true escape. Whether you appreciate the relaxing beautiful grounds to wander, quiet corners to sit and read in, the evening low-key wine reception or the breakfast with several delicious choices all freshly home made, there is something special about NHI. Nothing is cookie cutter and everything is spotless and beautifully presented - rooms, food, gardens, ambience.

That "something" has everything to do with John and Cindy the innkeepers, who are friendly and accommodating but in a very low-key way. Their warmth and hospitality sets the tone for the place. Just one example - on a recent trip, John kindly gave us a lift to a local restaurant. Completely unexpected but greatly appreciated.

My husband and I have stayed here about a half dozen times. It is our go-to place on the Cape. As you can see from the reviews here - come once and you will become regulars!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TheLongWayHome97

Reviewed 24 October 2013

Just up the street from Nauset beach (10 min walk) and off the beaten path, staying here reminded me of why I like the Cape. Our hosts were welcoming and each night coming back felt like coming home - to 'our' place. Breakfast was delicious and convivial. John and Cindy, the innkeepers were helpful and welcoming. It was a splurge for us, but was totally worth the investment.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank David R
Reviewed 18 October 2013

What a lovely place to stay - Great hospitality, a really nice and individual place, and a good location halfway up the Cape half a mile or so from Nauset Beach. Really nice to stay in a truly individual and unique room - didn't miss a television in the slightest! The late-afternoon drinks and chats with other guests was a lovely idea (Where did you go today? Which restaurant are you going to tonight? What are you planning to do tomorrow?, etc) and meant that when we sat down to breakfast with our new-found friends from the previous evening it was almost a family gathering. And probably the best breakfasts we had during our two weeks in New England. A delight from beginning to end and one we will remember with very fond memories. Jan & Tim Dalton, Ashbourne, UK

Room Tip: We paid a little more for an en suite room which was possibly worth it. We also stayed in the main...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Tim D
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Every time I turn into the driveway of Nauset House Inn, "I am HOME once more" and there have been many many visits! It's an amazing mixture of being 1/2 mile from Nauset beach, lovely grounds- old apple trees and wonderful vibrant flowers. Nauset House Inn is a charming old building where each room is unique and totally comfortable. Mainly it's the warmth and hospitality of the wonderful innkeepers, Cindy, John and Diane. They are never intrusive but always available to help plan your day, make dinner reservations or make a cup of tea. On a rainy day I may get no further than the common room with soft couches and comfortable chairs- wine cranberry and hors d' oeuvres are served here. I highly recommend you make reservations, you will not be disappointed! Places like Nauset House Inn are very rare.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Pat P
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Was pleased to spend five nights at The Nauset House Inn. I felt welcome as soon as I walked into the Inn. (Thank you, Judy!) I thought: I am at the Cape at the Nauset House Inn and will experience delicious breakfasts, cooked to order; interesting conversations with repeat and first time guests; and Nauset Beach is just a half mile walk from the Inn! Before leaving Saturday morning, I took a walk around the grounds and enjoyed the farmhouse and setting. Apples and chestnuts had fallen from the trees. Took photos to savour during the months until my return next year. Thank you again to John and Cindy for your conversation and hospitality and to Diane for cooking a delicious breakfast and her warm greeting on my first morning at the Inn. Note: The Inn is perfect for solo quests as well as friends and couples.

Room Tip: All of the rooms I have stayed in are beautifully appointed and the beds are comfortable. Sea Laven...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank allwhowonder
Reviewed 4 October 2013

Late Sept. we had friends visiting nearby & we thought it would be great to do an overnight on Cape Cod to be with them & decided to book here based on TripAdvisor recommendations. Very pretty colonial home, with a carriage house (we stayed in The BeachPlum room here) another cottage, a greenhouse and lovely grounds.

We arrived a bit early & no one was there but Cindy came within a few minutes. She walked us over to the carriage house & showed us our room on the 2nd level. None of the doors locked. Since I had some jewelry I was a bit surprised that no lock was provided on any of the rooms. Perhaps it's such a quiet genteel place they do not feel the need. However, it would have made me feel a bit more secure. The BeachPlum was quite spacious w/a King size bed,which was sunk in the middle, & a large, tiled bathroom with a great shower w/multiple jets. There was no hairdryer in the room or any soap, shampoo or conditioner. Since the other rooms were not taken, I was able to go into one of the bathrooms to check for hairdryer & there was one. Also found a few soaps that we needed. Each room does include a few chocolates, a magnet & information about the inn& places of interest in every room. Rooms smelled somewhat musty but that can be what you get on the Cape. No TV or small refrigerator in the rooms. All rooms & common areas were super clean, which I think is most important. Rooms seemed to be close to each other so I think you could hear other people if the place was full, but as I mentioned we were there in somewhat off season so no one else around in the carriage house. We were unable to take advantage of the wine & reception hour since we out but we did enjoy a nice breakfast the next morning. Only available for an hour & there were a few choices with freshly baked warm banana bread, hot beverages & choice of juices. All were nice. Other lodgers were pleasant as what I have found while staying in B&B's. I did not see any rooms in the main house other than the dining room & living room area where there was a tv & lots of books to peruse. One night was fine, but to stay longer without amenities like TV, a refrigerator for cold drinks, & toilietries would be an issue for me. I may be inclined to check out a few other B&B's in the area next time or to ask what amenities are available.

Room Tip: Request a large room with a large private bath --some are small. Bring your toilietries & hair...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Marion L
Reviewed 30 September 2013

We had a great weekend at the Nauset house. Mom and I stayed in the Sea Lavender room which has its own half bath. Both mornings we ate a fabulous breakfast (including really wonderful coffee). The B & B is just a short walk to the beach which we visited each day we were there. The landscaping, greenhouse, sitting room and dining room are all incredibly beautiful spaces and there is a feeling of tranquility and peacefulness throughout the property. The whole place is filled with art , sometimes in places where you least expect it, it's a real symphony for the eyes. I highly recommend this heavenly place to anyone who appreciates the sea and the beach, flowers and trees, fine breakfasts, and art.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Juliet M

Been to Nauset House Inn? Share your experiences!