“A Time/Place for "Me" that said "Welcome" from the start !!”
Review of Ship's Knees Inn

Ship's Knees Inn
Ranked #3 of 5 East Orleans B&B and Inns
Cambridge, Massachusetts
“A Time/Place for "Me" that said "Welcome" from the start !!”
Reviewed 2 December 2013

I needed a few days of "me" time before starting a new job. I googled "beach, fireplace and Cape Cod" and did I ever come upon the find of the year !! The Ship's Knees Inn was cozy, warm and truly welcoming. From the size of my room with an actual wood fireplace, to the decor with a beach-like theme, to the refrigerator with it's old-fashioned safe-like exterior, the wine glasses, cheese board & knife atop it in a basket, to an excellent continental breakfast (to which I wore my pj's to) that was included with the extremely reasonable price, to the friendly, helpful & courteous owner who shlepped a lot of firewood to my door, I felt like I was at home (yet away). The website & Guest Information Guide was very organized and helpful. A must if you're going to be in the area !! I can't wait to go again !!

Room Tip: Room #3 is large and has the wood fireplace.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Decatur
Reviewed 2 October 2013

My stay, for three days in September, was just wonderful. This is a lovely old inn, with intriguing twists and turns in the hallways and impressive decor. The hosts and other employees were simply outstanding. Travel for me, though i love it, is tiring, and this was the perfect place to relax and renew. In addition, a little walk down the road leads to Nauset Beach - a beach of many moods that I absolutely fell in love with.

And who could forget marley - the resident dog with his lovely, unique personality?

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank TeganMarie
Naples, Florida, United States
Reviewed 18 September 2013

We recently stayed two night at the Ship's Knees and it was great. It's an authentic historical inn close to Nausett Beach. The owners are very accomodating and accessible. They help you enjoy your visit to Cape Cod and Orleans as well as your stay in their inn. Yes the rooms are smaller than grand resorts but we felt very comfortable there and appreciated the ambiance of the place, the personal attention of the staff, and the local knowledge they were able to share. The great breakfast and the fire pit made it a great value for the price.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 8 September 2013

This year at the cape it was mostly a grey Labor Day weekend. At this time on the cape that means only one thing, no traffic! Our first night we had a fantastic thunderstorm with all the trimmings - but we were so snug in our Ship's Knees apartment, we confused the drama with a dream. We examined for evidence of rain over a delicious self-serve breakfast and hot coffee. Everyone in our party (the glutefrees, the light breakfast eaters, and the gluttons) was well nourished for a day of cape adventures. We enjoyed driving to local swimming spots and walking to Nauset Beach. After a stop at the well-named Friends Market, we enjoyed wine and provisions in our cozy apartment retreat. My husband and I shared a room that had been newly painted and redecorated. My mom had a private room and my sister slept on the large couch bed in the living room. It all worked out great and everyone had a nice view from their rooms. Cheers to Peter and his bride for all the hard work on the gardens and grounds. Oh, for dog lovers, a special friend will greet you in the office (for you non-dog folks no worries, he is very mellow and well mannered and mostly out of sight). We'll be back!

• Stayed September 2013
Toronto
Reviewed 5 September 2013

I was at the Ship's Knees this past long weekend (Labor day) with my boyfriend and my brother and his wife. The Inn was really comfortable and quaint. We really enjoyed our stay. Location was perfect as we were walking distance to the beach, plenty of parking available, great breakfast, beautiful patio with a great little fire pit!
We really enjoyed our stay and would recommend it to anyone needing a place to stay in the Cape!

Room Tip: My only critique would be that the room was on the smaller side and the pillows were really hard!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
PA
Reviewed 2 September 2013

My husband and I stayed for four nights a few years back and I should have reviewed the Ship's Knees more promptly, but I have to add my two thumbs up for this charming place now. Peter was so kind to email answers to my questions before we arrived. He had wonderful tips for how to spend our time. The location is convenient to Nauset Beach. We enjoyed breakfast outside and conversation with other guests. I slept like a baby in this quiet, clean, comfortable room. We hope to return someday soon.

Room Tip: My husband and I had adjoining rooms in the main house. Mine had a door leading out to the courtyard...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Our time at the Ship's Knees came at the end of a series of upmarket hotel stays in New York and Boston - and what a relief! Charming, relaxed ambiance, super-helpful hosts, characterful rooms and a breakfast menu to die for.
Being Cape Cod first timers we tried hard to get it right using all the websites and even Google Earth - and it was worth every second spent. For a relaxed, comfortable and brilliantly-situated place to stay on the Cape - look no further then the Ship's Knees.
We'll be back....

Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa
Eagle Wing Inn
Eagle Wing Inn
#1 of 9 in Eastham

Been to Ship's Knees Inn? Share your experiences!