“An ideal getaway”

Ranked #3 of 5 East Orleans B&B and Inns
Canada
“An ideal getaway”
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We loved our three nights at The Ship's Knees! With a lovely homemade breakfast to begin each day and some time in a comfy chair by the fire pit to wrap it up, this was a real home away from home. Peter and Denise were exceptionally welcoming hosts who remembered our names and gave us great recommendations for the area, as well as some tips about Boston, which was where we were headed next. They provided chairs, towels, and umbrellas, which we brought with us on an easy walk to Nauset Beach. We also took advantage of the pool for a more relaxing swim in the late afternoons - and we saw a mother deer and fawn at one point! We saved some money by staying in a room with a shared bathroom, which was just fine for our purposes. On the rare occasion that the bathroom was occupied, we just used one of two other ones available to us. And although our room was on the small side, it had a beautiful ocean view. Can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Ask the hosts for tips and they can recommend a room that fits your needs! Some have private entranc...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Methuen, Massachusetts
Reviewed 2 August 2014

My husband and I returned today from a one week stay at the Ship's Knees in Orleans. We stayed in the twin room on the second floor of the main inn. The room was small but very comfortable, cozy and clean. There was a small bureau(4 draws) and a small closet to store our clothing for the week and a fridge.The beds were extremely comfortable and the continental breakfast was fantastic. The best part, though, was the quiet..never heard noise from other rooms or outside noise..very quiet area of the cape. the walk to Nauset beach took about 10 minutes and the beach is amazing..We had a great vacation and highly recommend the Ship's Knees if you like quiet and cozy.

Room Tip: Rooms are described very well on ship's knees website, including sq. footage.
3 Thank diane z
Sudbury, Massachusetts
Reviewed 28 July 2014

My husband and I started at Ships Knees to get some time alone. We loved the easy walk to Nauset Beach... one of our favorite Cape beaches. We brought our own, but the owner has beach chairs, towels, umbrellas and boogie boards available for guests. We spent a little time at the lovely pool where towels are supplied. The complimentary breakfast was much better then a typical "continental breakfast". There were lots of choices and always a hot egg-based item too--all homemade and delicious!! We stayed in a king bed room with private bath. It was very clean and comfortable and came with a refrigerator which was handy. The decor both inside and out is quintessential Cape Cod. I highly recommend the Ships Knees. Giving it a 4 instead of a 5 because it is not luxurious.

Loudonville, New York
Reviewed 28 July 2014

This was a return visit for me and this time I was with my daughter, my sister and my niece. It had been about 5 years and it was worth the wait. For a beach lover there's no better place in Orleans, even though they have a beautiful pool. The Inn is a short stroll to one of the most beautiful beaches on the Cape. The owners are so kind and accommodating, the rooms cozy, clean, and comfy, and the breakfast is amazing...best scones I've ever had!!!! Can't wait to visit again and hopefully my husband can join me the next time.

Room Tip: Room 1 has the most comfortable king bed
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Lake Villa, Illinois
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Charming Cape Cod Inn. Our room was very comfortable, quiet & cozy. Super comfortable beds and the best continental breakfast in we have ever had with fresh homemade & creative baked goods, egg dishes & fruits. Beautiful Nauset beach was an easy 7-10 minutes walk. Perfect spot on the Cape!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Springfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed 7 July 2014

My husband and I recently stayed here for our two year wedding anniversary. We were delighted to realize it's so close to the beach, truly within walking distance. We didn't have to pay for parking down the street, etc. We walked our beach chairs and belongings down the hill onto Nauset Beach, one of the prettiest on the Cape. It's also very close to the Cap Cod Rail Trail (bike trail) and you can go over to the bay side of the Cape, only four miles away. There were nice restaurants in the area. We will definitely return. The owners were pleasant and thought of all the *little details*. It's a lovely preserved old home. There is no reason to go anywhere else in the future... I couldn't give up the perfect proximity to the beach and the beautiful gardens on this property! Highly recommend.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Amelia G
Wakefield, Rhode Island
Reviewed 4 July 2014

I don't know what they could possibly do to improve. My girlfriend and I only stayed for 1 night (they only allow this if there is a room open for 1 night in between two other stays) and we wish we could have stayed all summer! The decor throughout the inn was incredibly relaxing and consistent, the breakfast was delicious and clearly handmade, and the bedroom was extremely clean and comfortable. The beach was a quick walk and was perfect. I'm a beach snob, but this beach with it's soft sand exceeded my expectations.

It is definitely pricey, but if you can afford it, this is THE place to stay in Orleans!!

Room Tip: If you think you'll want your own bathroom, the extra $40 or so dollars is probably worth it. S...
Also consider these accommodations in or near East Orleans
Nauset House Inn
Nauset House Inn
#2 of 5 in East Orleans
Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa

Been to Ship's Knees Inn? Share your experiences!