“First Experience”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Woodbridge, CT
“First Experience”
Reviewed 21 June 2008

This was our first experience with a bed and breakfast inn, and we have been completely won over, so pleased with the comfort and cleanliness of the Parsonage Inn. We spent two nights in the Barn Room in late May using the Inn as a home base to explore upper Cape Cod. A wonderful homemade, hot breakfast complemented the friendly tone set by our hosts, Ian and Liz. Conveniently close to the beaches and the national seashore, but pleasantly remote from town, this East Orleans inn is a gem.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Saratoga Springs
Reviewed 8 June 2008

A lovely inn located right by Nausette beach. The rooms were charming and the inn is surrounded by a delightful garden.

• Liked — The charming room and delicious breakfast
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
Massachusetts
Reviewed 16 April 2008

Ian and Liz saved me!

I was on the Cape for an extended stay, and had made reservations at another inn, which turned out to be horrendous (The Colonial House Inn, Yarmouth). My second night there, I went online and found The Parsonage Inn in East Orleans and inquired about availability.

Liz and Ian graciously welcomed me - as if I were an old friend - the following day. I felt like I had been whisked away on a magic carpet! I had my pick of rooms, and chose The Barn, which was absolutely perfect for me.

Liz and Ian are charming, fun, and caring. They are engaging, and also knew when I needed quiet time during meals; they were accommodating at every turn. Liz and I had fun discussing the crossword puzzle each morning. I felt completely at ease the minute I arrived, and bathed in warm hospitality. One thing I remember in particular is that I laughed A LOT while there. Ian and Liz each have a fantastic sense of humor.

The main house is beautiful, tastefully decorated. The dining room is sweet, and the breakfasts are terrific. I love the way Liz asked, "Can I make you a fritata this morning?" As if I'd ever say "no thanks." The fruit fresh, varied, each day a different main course. English china.

The room was spotless, spacious, quiet, and had a fantastic "feel" to it. I could tell a lot of thought went into the design and decor. There were three separate "areas", a cozy little living room, a full bath (with thick, fluffy towels), a small "kitchen" area, complete with plates, wine glasses, mugs, tea, coffeemaker, tea kettle, cutting board, nice fridge. Even a bottle opener! Every day I'd leave my dishes out, and they'd be replaced, clean, that afternoon. (No micro, but I didn't need or want one). The bed area was spacious, brand new king bed - firm, comfortable. Beautiful patchwork quilt. Plenty of closet space, antique bureau, and big windows looking out on trees.

To top it off, there is a small fruit/veggie stand/market right across the street, so anything I needed, I just took a quick walk to buy provisions. I was on a tight budget, and was able to make several meals on my own.

Nauset Beach is 2 minutes away by car, downtown Orleans the same. Check out The Cape Cup coffee shop on Main Street. East Orleans is quaint, historic, quiet, and a a great center spot for day trips to either end of the Cape. P-town is about 30 minutes away.

After I returned home, I wrote to them, asking what kind of soap they use in their rooms, so I could buy some and keep the "scent" alive in my mind, and re-experience the relaxation I felt while there. Liz sent me a CARE PACKAGE of soaps and shampoo. I use the soap every day, and each time I do, I am reminded of the great feeling I had at The Parsonage Inn.

Although I've only just met Ian and Liz, I consider them friends. I have found my home away from home at The Parsonage Inn.

Thanks Ian and Liz! See you soon.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank RelaxFun
Oxfordshire
Reviewed 8 January 2008

I stayed at The Parsonage with my partner and friends when doing a tour of New England. We stayed in the Maple room which was spacious, well equipped and decorated with traditional New England quilts.

The owners are extremely pleasant and helpful and breakfasts were a delight - make sure you don't overeat the night before as there was plenty of food!

Orleans is a great base for exploring the Cape and the Parsonage is on a leafy street that offers respite from the tourist crowds. The restaurant accross the road is great (best chowder we found on the Cape!) and is within staggering distance!

• Stayed October 2007, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ifimlost
Norwalk, CT
Reviewed 14 November 2007

The Parsonage Inn is the best place to stay on the Cape if you're interested in: central location, wonderful hosts, year-round activities. Liz and Ian are perfect B&B hosts. They're interested in their guests without being smothering. The breakfasts are fine, without being overstuffed. The Inn is well maintained, rooms clean. Common areas are comfortable. When Liz plays the piano, it's a treat for the ears.
We visit in the off season. November on the Cape is terific. No crowds. Yet, Orleans is large enough that there are plenty of restaurants and shops open year round. The beaches! Walk the Cape's beaches and not see another human for miles! really! it IS possible. Birding is superb, and Orleans is an excellent central location for that activity.

• Liked — Location, the innkeepers
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NorCTDnL
Herts
Reviewed 29 October 2007

This is a really lovely B&B.

We had only booked to stay 5 nights but ended up staying for 9, we loved it so much.

Orleans is bang in the middle of Cape Cod, so the location is great. The inn is 5 mins drive from a great beach and really not far from anywhere. Great restaurants/pubs nearby.
The inn itself is a beautiful old home; rooms homely and clean and quiet. Delicious breakfasts too.

Best of all is the charm and hospitality of Ian & Liz, the proprietors. They run their place just as it should be, in my view. Friendly and welcoming but the place also has a calm, relaxed atmosphere.

We didn't want to leave!

• Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank saddlers88
Northampton MA
Reviewed 10 September 2007

The Parsonage Inn is an absolute delight! This quaint old house has been lovingly cared for by Ian and Liz Browne, the hosts. Each room is sparkling clean and has everything you'd want, like TV, air conditioning, wireless Internet, a hair dryer, coffee maker, and a walk-in closet in many rooms. Close by is an espresso bar, a deli with great sandwiches and salads, a newsstand, a homemade ice cream shop, and pizza. There's a beautiful flower garden and chairs under shade trees, and meals can be taken outdoors in nice weather. Breakfasts are fresh cooked, with things like eggs and pancakes and fresh fruit. The Brownes are charming and thoughtful hosts who will go out of their way to make your stay pleasant. It's over a mile to the ocean, but that's about the only thing I'd want to change about the Parsonage Inn.

• Liked — Attractive and comfortable
  • Disliked — Too far to the beach
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled solo
#1 of 9 in Brewster
Inn at the Oaks
Inn at the Oaks
#1 of 11 in Eastham

Been to The Parsonage Inn? Share your experiences!