“Diamond in the Rough”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in East Sandwich
Jacksonville Beach, Florida
“Diamond in the Rough”
Reviewed 24 July 2014

English Tudor style motel. The man at the front desk is so knowledgeable about the area and cape cod. He can answer any of your questions.
This motel has nice outdoor pool. It also has a small continental breakfast with muffins, fruit, coffee, and cans of soda.
The room was very clean. Beds were comfy.
We had absolutely NO complaints about this motel and that's why I give it 5 out of 5.
If your in Sandwich or passing through, this is a definite home run. Price is affordable.
I would stay here with my family again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank RileyFamilyCircus

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
long island ny
Reviewed 23 July 2014

It was a spontaneous first visit to the Cape for us for our wedding anniversary and we were on a tight budget. Our get away focused on biking one of the bikeways Cape Cod is known for. After much research booked 2 nights at the Earl of Sandwich based on TripAdvisor reviews and photos. Perfect super clean room w/wood floors, good wi-fi, fridge and microwave, flat screen tv and comfortable (4 post canopy) bed. Beautiful grounds, set off the main road. Gladly, this place is not on one of the main highways. Passed so many 'big box' chain hotels on the highway- you wouldn't even know you're in Cape Cod staying there. The location was still convenient (about 20 minutes) to the Shining Sea Bikeway parking and to Trader Joe's and other stores for supplies. Visited Hyannis for dinner (Paleo Pizza was very good) and were so glad we weren't staying there, too crowded and touristy for us. We would have liked to be closer to the bike path, but, for the price, no complaints! Did I mention we loved the coffee and light breakfast included? After check-out we drove about an hour to the National Seashore (saw a huge group of grey seals!) Already talking about a return visit in September to try the 22 mile rail trail!

1 Thank veggievaca
Providence, Rhode Island
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We stayed one night. In the morning, I went to take a shower, and the handle came off in my hand. I had to get to work, so I decided not to call and report it, and left, and my boyfriend checked out. I called today to report the problem and ask if I could get money off, and the motel owner was defensive, saying "Yep, I fixed it in about two seconds. You should have called me when you had it in your hand and I would have fixed it for you."

I hope you can understand, dear reader, that calling for him at 7AM while wrapped in a towel was not exactly what I wanted to do. He clearly didn't want to deal with me or apologize for the broken shower. It's too bad--he seemed really welcoming coming in.

Succasunna, New Jersey
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Just picked this place out of the AAA Travel book. It looked nice so I booked it. Turns out it was wonderful. Room was spotless, the small continental breakfast was good. The grounds were nice. There is a duck pond in the back and every night there was a fire going in the chiminea. There are picnic tables where we ate breakfast on and chairs in the yard to just sit and relax. A nice getaway and being on 6A the location is terrific.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank John B
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 8 July 2014

My wife and I are at an age that lets us remember fondly the motor lodges of the past. We stayed in many of them as children. The great location on 6A in Cape Cod, the style and grounds the Earl of Sandwich was what we were searching for. The landscaping, the duck pond and homey feel were wonderful, they even had a little fire burning out back so we could sit and enjoy the fresh air in the evening.

I stay at chain hotels a LOT when I travel for work. We were looking for something with a charm and personality unavailable at <insert chain hotel here>.

We found it at the Earl of Sandwich. The staff was attentive, friendly, and clearly loved what they were doing. The property had all the charm we had hoped for. The room was spotless, well stocked, and even had a four poster bed! We slept like babies and were refreshed and happy each morning of our stay.

It's hard for me to say enough good things about this hotel. Book it right now. Stay here for your Cape travel. You will not be disappointed!

Room Tip: Pick a room. Any room. They're all good. Ours was on the road side, near the office, and it was...
1 Thank 3OldCousins
Nutley, New Jersey
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We just returned home today from a 3 night stay at the Earl of Sandwich. We were up on the Cape for an annual family 4th of July BBQ and we chose to stay here because of the location and price. We could not have been happier. The rooms were clean and the price was right. Location was great for us as our family only lived about 10 minutes away.

The continental breakfast was an added bonus we didn't know about before we arrived. The coffee was great!

1 Thank gd1147
Franklin, Massachusetts
Reviewed 14 June 2014

I've stayed at the Earl quite a few times over the years, for women's weekend getaways. In 2012, my husband and I stayed here on our wedding night. The grounds are gorgeous, with nice sitting areas spattered about the gardens and lots of big shade trees. The rooms are a little dated, but somehow at this place, it adds to the charm. They're clean, spacious, and inviting. Homey, if you will. The owners are friendly and welcoming. The continental breakfast during the high season is a nice touch. We'll be back again!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
#1 of 5 in Sandwich
Sandwich Lodge & Resort
Sandwich Lodge & Resort
#4 of 5 in Sandwich

Been to Earl of Sandwich Motel? Share your experiences!