“The wonderful campsite, clean, helpful and close to eveything”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Eastham
Atlantic Oaks Campground
Sherman, Connecticut, United States
“The wonderful campsite, clean, helpful and close to eveything”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

We booked this campsite online on New Years Eve, December 2013. Camped in August 2014.
The location was the best for the National Seashore, Rail Trails, fishing and hub for travel/site seeing.
The site itself was flat, level and clean. Our camper fit nicely with the hookups correctly placed. Another nice amenity is the night light on the power panel. It gave enough light to see the trailer service area should you need to start the hot water heater, drain the waste or connect the domestic water after sunset. We marveled at the service the ground crew took when a camper left, they would clean the site and empty the fire pit shortly after the party departed. There was no animals scavenging the area because the entire campground was kept clean and tidy.
The lodge was esthetically pleasing, a New England Cape style building. Spacious, easy flow with an arcade, gift shop, lavatories and most of all, a very pleasant staff. After sign in we were given the typical magnetic gate key to pass and repass thru the gate. My truck is lifted and it was a real pleasure to have the 2nd card reader at an elevated height so I didn't have to fold myself out of the window to enter every time. I assume the coach drivers would appreciate this as well!
The domestic staff keep the showers as clean as possible. I have to say that of any of the many campsite we have stayed in, these showers are by far the cleanest! They are free as well. No quarter for 10 minuet showers here. After a long day of playing in the surf with the children, a good hot shower is exactly what I need. There is the laundry area as well, nice and tidy, coin operated service which is more than fair I believe.
In short, if you plan on coming to the Cape, by all means make your reservations here! Do it early to reserve a place in this most desirable location.
As for the few who have chosen to leave the lowest possible score, think of it this way. Nature has bugs that are not in control of any human, that's not in this campsite control. Make a reservation and abide by the rules. You have signed a contract, if you are unable to cancel within the allotted time, it's your loss. It's not the money but the mortgage these fine people have. If you have a breathing problem, perhaps a camping trip is not a good option for you and your family. Milk and cookies, peanut butter and jelly, peas and carrots and campfires and camping go hand in hand. The Town of Eastham Fire Marshall has an ordinance that states the fires must be extinguished with water no later than 11:00 pm. After the water is placed on the fire pit it is not smoke but steam you blithering idiot. I do have compassion for you and your poor health, go rent a room at the local hotel, but don't bash this fine establishment for things that aren't in their control.
Oh, buy the way, I wish I had taken my dog with us. The campsite was very accommodating to K9's.

Thanks in Advance,
Chris Williams

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Christopher W

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Ashburn
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

This campground is very nice. Pull through spots are large, level, and with some shade. It is quite and very clean which is highly appreciated. It is very close to Nauset Beach in the National Seashore and Chatham is near by which is a great little town.

Stayed August 2014
2 Thank ashburnVa
Auburn, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

Originally I was reluctant to book Atlantic Oaks because we were traveling with our Cocker Spaniel. Their website said they accepted pets but recommended you not bring them. This made me really wonder how pet friendly they were....I am glad we booked it! They are more pet friendly than most places. They even allowed our dog in the registration store and gave her a treat!! The facilities are very modern and clean. We had both a tent site and an RV site for our family. Sites are well spaced with modern hookups. Although they have modern individual showers, we loved showering in the outdoor showers at night under the stars! The location is perfect with everything very close. The bike trail runs right by the park and you can walk to Arnold's for the best lobster rolls and fresh seafood! We also really appreciated the reasonable prices in their store. I bought 3 new camp chairs for $35 a piece. I looked them up and they were $45 each on Amazon !!! Lots of affordable souvenirs including amazing gourd bird houses made by one of their staff--Don! Not sure when we will make it back to Cape Cod but will definitely stay at Atlantic Oaks when we return!

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank PatrickMcCormick
Campton, New Hampshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

I want to write a clear and accurate review of Atlantic Oaks
1st off the front desk, reception area and tv room are very clean and inviting
Bathrooms and showers were tidy also
Our tent site red 7 was extremely small, it was difficult to fit my pickup on the site
My trouble started on the second morning, I woke to make breakfast and found cockroaches all over our bins, inside of boxes, they were everywhere. Thankfully we had our food sealed tight so no roaches made into our food. I reported the infestation to the front desk, the employee, Linda took the time to look up cock roaches on the internet to see what kind they were. She said she would have a staff member check out the site, I told her I would prefer not to have chemicals sprayed while we were there as I was traveling with children.
The next morning when the kids awoke, one of them unzipped there clothing bag and found it infested with roaches. They were scared at that point. I asked my neighbors on either side of me if they were having a problem, the Canadian couple on red 6 did not speak English well, so they brought me over to see the bugs that were in their containers, they were infested. The gentleman and his son on red 8 told me he had found a few in his cooler!
We decided to leave the campground at that point, I had had enough. When I checked out, I mentioned the infestation to another woman at the desk, she basically rolled her eyes at me, she could not have cared less. As I was getting ready to leave another staff member approached my truck. He stated someone had gone out to my site the day before but didn't see anything, the staff member become some what belligerent and asked me what I expected when I went camping.
Well let me tell you, I do not expect a cockroach infestation! I do not expect a staff member to be rude. I had to cut my stay short due to the deplorable conditions of this campground and I got yelled at by a staff member. This was not what I had expected or paid for. I was very concerned about bringing home cockroaches and infesting my home

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank happyhiker63nh
Shady3002, Manager at Atlantic Oaks Campground, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
We did not receive any complaints or even a mention of any kind of insect problem from the people occupying the site in question immediately prior to the reviewer, nor from the persons occupying the site the day after the reviewer’s stay. A check of the site upon the reviewer’s departure did not reveal any sign of an infestation.

Also of note, the persons on the neighboring sites referenced in the review also never made the office aware of any issues concerning insects.

We would have been more than happy to accommodate the reviewer by moving them to another site if they simply had asked.

As to the perceived rudeness of the employee, please see preceding reviews.
Cromwell, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

We have been staying at Atlantic Oaks for about 15 years now and the place is great. It is right off the bike trail, quiet, and in the middle of the cape. The staff is friendly and even gave a weather report to a few people about the pending storms so they could pick some stuff up! the bath house is always clean and the lounge is great for rainy days. It is also dog friendly!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Mary M
Valley View, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

This was our first ever trip to Cape Cod, and I only chose Atlantic Oaks because of its location on the Cape. Wow, I couldn't have made a better choice! The office staff was so helpful, and even clued us into where to go for great seafood and ice cream (Arnold's, which is almost next door). The sites are pull-through, which means a lot if you're towing a large fifth wheel like we do. Our site was almost perfectly flat, which meant next to no leveling was needed. The sites are large, and trees and bushes between the sites make each site fairly private. We were on site I6, which was right next to the conservation area. It was lovely! There was also plenty of room to park our truck on the site.
Atlantic Oaks' location on the Cape made sightseeing in either direction an easy ride of an hour or less. The Salt Pond Visitors Center of the Cape Cod National Seashore is within 1/2 mile, and you can bike it from the campground using the rail trail that touches the back of the campground.
If we make another visit to Cape Cod, we will definitely stay at Atlantic Oaks. We both loved our visit!

Room Tip: Sites bordering the conservation area at the back of the campground are generally shadier and more p...