“Dissapointed”

Ranked #1 of 11 Eastham B&B and Inns
North Brookfield, Massachusetts
“Dissapointed”
Reviewed 16 August 2013

I am so disappointed in the Inn at the Oaks.

Let me preface by saying the woman I spoke with was quite knowledgeable in assisting me with Living Social deal I found for the time period in September we were looking to be on the Cape. $249.00 for two nights, and only a $50.00 pet fee, to me seemed like a great deal and I was excited to book.

However, after having further discussion with Mary and confirming the dates we wanted to stay were available, she told me my 9 month old daughter was not allowed at the B & B.

I'm baffled. I had not even thought to see if there was a policy on children at such a “family friendly” inn.

Her reason was that babies cry and babies scream and that this is common practice at B&B's. We have had only one other experience with a B&B and all members of the family were allowed, so I guess we are inexperienced here. But come on, not allowing a baby who sleeps in the parent’s bed with them, crazy. We have not had a single pleasure trip since before she was born and have no desire to go away without her. According to their policy, once she is 5 she will be allowed, which amuses me because the only time you hear our daughter is when she is laughing. Most 5 year olds I know make much more noise than a laughing infant.
The policy also mentions that very few of their rooms accommodate more than two guests, which is another reason for the no babies’ policy. However, the suites that are pet friendly and where we would be staying sleep up to 6. Not to mention, our daughter sleeps in bed with us so we would require no more than one king bed.

When I said to Mary, “What would have happened if I never mentioned my daughter on the phone, whether on purpose or just because it did not come up?”, she stated that when they saw us arrive with her we would have been charged “about” $150.00. Where in the policy does it state an associated fee to showing up with a child under 5 and also, how does paying that dollar amount affect the amount of noise said child omits? Not to mention the arbitrary “about” $150.00. Do they make up the fee on the spot?

I am extremely disappointed in the Inn at the Oaks policy and they have forever lost my business and the business of my travel happy friends. Regardless of whether or not we are travelling with a child, without, or when she reaches their acceptable age of 5.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank lionspurr
innattheoaks, Manager at Inn at the Oaks, responded to this review, 31 August 2013
Thank you for your comments on our "family friendly" policy. We recently changed this policy by adding an age limit for our family travelers. We debated this issue for almost a year. We took into consideration the comments and complaints of many guests over the past several years.
While we still strive to be a family friendly inn we also need to accommodate our guests who are having a quiet getaway.
Lots of guests have said that the Inn at the Oaks has a special feel to her and we agree. She is a beautiful old building, lovingly built by Captain Barnabus Chipman for his family in the 1870’s. Most of the original building’s interior; walls, floors, ceilings, and some windows are still from the 1870’s and we like to think that is what makes her so special.
Unfortunately these walls, floors and ceilings are not sound-proofed the way a new hotel would be and the unfortunate fact is that even a happy giggly baby awake at 4am can easily wake up three, four and sometimes more rooms.
Our new policy of accommodating children 5 and over allows us to be family friendly to all our travelling families as well as the families that are travelling for a quiet get away from their family.
We will continue to firm up this policy over the next year. We will honor our commitment to our guests who booked with us prior to August 1, 2013. Also during this time any bookings through third-party sites and bookings with "forgotten" children will not be charged any 'arbitrary' additional fees, our policies are written very clearly on our website for all our guests to see.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Shelburne, Vermont
Reviewed 10 August 2013

My husband and I spent two nights at Inn at the Oaks in July and were very happy with everything. The location -- very near the Cape Cod National Seashore entrance - is perfect for spending time at the beach, and the Inn itself is quiet, cool, comfortable and perfectly clean. We loved it and plan to return as soon as possible.

1 Thank kmdonnelly11
Avon, CT
Reviewed 7 August 2013

This was a perfect inn. We stayed in the Sail Loft Suite, located in e Carriage House behind the Inn. The room was divided creatively with sails, and very comfortably accommodated two children, a mother and a grandmother. Our room had a small deck with a table and 4 chairs and was delightfully cool and shaded, even during the hottest part of the day.

The inn keepers were friendly and available for questions, recommendation, etc. Coffee and cookies were available all day long.

The Inn is perfectly located, across from the Salt Pond Visitor Center to theNational Seashore; the beach a mere 5 minute drive..or a short bicycle ride away. It is situated at the beginning of the outer cape..also near the Audubon Center which is fantastic and perhaps one of the hidden gems of the Cape.

I highly recommend Inn at the Oaks and hope one day to return.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank JREISKIN
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2013

Inn at the Oaks is a lovely old Cape Cod house transformed into a very comfortable guest house. Our room was large with old antique furniture which really suited the room.
We loved the juice, coffee and cookies available every afternoon, just what you wanted after a beach walk.
The staff were friendly and some very chatty, happy to advise on walks and suggest places to visit.
It was a good position to tour all over the cape although Eastham itsn't very interesting. My favourite place was Chatham, charm and lovely shops though pricey.
I would love to go back.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Miamisburg, Ohio
Reviewed 30 July 2013

My husband and I stayed for two nights and we didn't want to leave! The Lighthouse Suite was absolutely perfect for us. It sat in the back and had its own little deck. I loved the sitting room and the way it was decorated. I would sit at the table at night to journal. It was so cozy and comfy! I am a freak about cleanliness and this room was immaculate! The breakfast was awesome and just right. Not too fancy and you can choose what you wanted. The staff was super nice especially Kelly. We couldn't have had a better room or a better stay!

New York
Reviewed 28 July 2013

We stayed at the Inn at the Oaks for a weekend in July while visiting our daughter at camp and could not have made a better choice. The staff was extremely accommodating and helpful from the start, making excellent dining recommendations and helping us to organize a bike rental (3 mins walk away), with which we were then able to hit the famed and beautiful Cape bike trails. The grounds and building are lovely, and while conveniently located right off the main Cape Route 6, the Inn is set back sufficiently so that it feels quite removed. Even though the B&B was full while we were there, it never felt so -- I had to work one evening, and had one of the parlor rooms entirely to myself. There are lovely touches, such as the afternoon tea (with delicious home-made cookies), a small gift shop with locally produced crafts and foods, and great flexibility on the part of the staff (guests are welcome to use fridge, microwave, and the Inn's table settings to bring in their own meals, drinks, etc). We stayed in the Sunset room, which was very nice and has an extremely comfortable king bed; the bathroom, though basic, was perfectly clean and well-supplied with amenities. Two observations, neither of which marred our stay: the AC is centrally regulated, and on occasion was a little too cool (the staff quickly remedied this with an additional blanket) and the walls in the main house seem a little thin (that said, I'm typically a very light sleeper, but somehow was not disturbed by some carried sound). Word must be out about this place -- half of the guests while we were there were from overseas! Highly recommended.

Venice, Florida
Reviewed 23 July 2013

The place is lovely and the grounds are beautiful, the people were friendly, the continental breakfast was fine, We made two mistakes when we booked this place: 1) not asking if the "private" bathroom was en-suite (it wasn't), and 2) booking a third floor room. The room was very very small which would have been ok, but my 6'2" husband could not stand up because of the sloping ceiling, and neither could I, at 5'5". In fact the only place one could have stood upright was right over the bed. The room had a small desk, but was too tiny to accommodate even a straight backed chair. It's possible other third-floor rooms don't have sloping ceilings. The down-the-hall bathroom was right at the edge of the stairway...beware if you have to use it when you're half asleep. Having said all that negative stuff, the building is really nice, old but well kept. The resident manager had broken her foot but was still very accommodating and her cookies, served in the afternoon were terrific.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask about en-suite baths, private baths aren't necessarily in your room. Don't st...