“Inn at the Oaks, quality place!”
Review of Inn at the Oaks

Inn at the Oaks
Ranked #1 of 11 Eastham B&B and Inns
Boston, Massachusetts
“Inn at the Oaks, quality place!”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

What a wonderful place to stay-- the staff was very pleasant, breakfast was lovely and the layout and architecture of the Inn are quite charming. While our private bathroom was located down the hall and not within the room as I had initially thought based on the website description, it didn't prove to be a problem since there was only one other room adjacent to ours thus there was plenty of privacy. We will likely come back!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Connecticut
Reviewed 2 September 2013

My wife and I stayed at The Inn at the Oaks over the Labor Day weekend this year and enjoyed ourselves. The Inn is a very nice older Inn. The staff are friendly, helpful and efficient. We stayed in the Willow room. While it is on the smaller size, we found we had more than sufficient space. The closet was bigger than you'd expect. The one thing that was odd was the fact that the sink was outside of the bathroom, which was a disadvantage late at night, and is small.

The continental breakfast was good and plentiful and the afternoon cookies and coffee were a nice touch. We didn't test the cookies, but the empty dish the first day says a lot.

We'd definitely stay at the Inn at the Oaks again.

Room Tip: There are several rooms that have bathrooms that are not in the room. While they are private, you h...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Great location in the quieter town of Eastham with easy access to nearby beaches, great restaurant options and the ball field with college summer games is just down the road. We had the smallest room on the top floor, but as we're from NYC, we didn't mind at all. Our private bathroom was down the hall, and though the inn was supposedly full that weekend, we never saw anyone else upstairs so it felt quite private. The bed was comfortable, room was clean and breakfast was delicious. And the lemonade and cookies in the afternoon was a nice treat! A perfect summer weekend getaway.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
USA
Reviewed 26 August 2013

This was our first visit to this property. At first we were concerned about it being on route 6 because of noise but it was impossible to hear anything outside. Convenient to rail trail bike path and the beaches of Wellfleet. Great continental breakfast and friendly staff!

• Stayed August 2013
North Brookfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed 16 August 2013

I am so disappointed in the Inn at the Oaks.

Let me preface by saying the woman I spoke with was quite knowledgeable in assisting me with Living Social deal I found for the time period in September we were looking to be on the Cape. $249.00 for two nights, and only a $50.00 pet fee, to me seemed like a great deal and I was excited to book.

However, after having further discussion with Mary and confirming the dates we wanted to stay were available, she told me my 9 month old daughter was not allowed at the B & B.

I'm baffled. I had not even thought to see if there was a policy on children at such a “family friendly” inn.

Her reason was that babies cry and babies scream and that this is common practice at B&B's. We have had only one other experience with a B&B and all members of the family were allowed, so I guess we are inexperienced here. But come on, not allowing a baby who sleeps in the parent’s bed with them, crazy. We have not had a single pleasure trip since before she was born and have no desire to go away without her. According to their policy, once she is 5 she will be allowed, which amuses me because the only time you hear our daughter is when she is laughing. Most 5 year olds I know make much more noise than a laughing infant.
The policy also mentions that very few of their rooms accommodate more than two guests, which is another reason for the no babies’ policy. However, the suites that are pet friendly and where we would be staying sleep up to 6. Not to mention, our daughter sleeps in bed with us so we would require no more than one king bed.

When I said to Mary, “What would have happened if I never mentioned my daughter on the phone, whether on purpose or just because it did not come up?”, she stated that when they saw us arrive with her we would have been charged “about” $150.00. Where in the policy does it state an associated fee to showing up with a child under 5 and also, how does paying that dollar amount affect the amount of noise said child omits? Not to mention the arbitrary “about” $150.00. Do they make up the fee on the spot?

I am extremely disappointed in the Inn at the Oaks policy and they have forever lost my business and the business of my travel happy friends. Regardless of whether or not we are travelling with a child, without, or when she reaches their acceptable age of 5.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank lionspurr
innattheoaks, Manager at Inn at the Oaks, responded to this review, 31 August 2013
Thank you for your comments on our "family friendly" policy. We recently changed this policy by adding an age limit for our family travelers. We debated this issue for almost a year. We took into consideration the comments and complaints of many guests over the past several years.
While we still strive to be a family friendly inn we also need to accommodate our guests who are having a quiet getaway.
Lots of guests have said that the Inn at the Oaks has a special feel to her and we agree. She is a beautiful old building, lovingly built by Captain Barnabus Chipman for his family in the 1870’s. Most of the original building’s interior; walls, floors, ceilings, and some windows are still from the 1870’s and we like to think that is what makes her so special.
Unfortunately these walls, floors and ceilings are not sound-proofed the way a new hotel would be and the unfortunate fact is that even a happy giggly baby awake at 4am can easily wake up three, four and sometimes more rooms.
Our new policy of accommodating children 5 and over allows us to be family friendly to all our travelling families as well as the families that are travelling for a quiet get away from their family.
We will continue to firm up this policy over the next year. We will honor our commitment to our guests who booked with us prior to August 1, 2013. Also during this time any bookings through third-party sites and bookings with "forgotten" children will not be charged any 'arbitrary' additional fees, our policies are written very clearly on our website for all our guests to see.
Shelburne, Vermont
Reviewed 10 August 2013

My husband and I spent two nights at Inn at the Oaks in July and were very happy with everything. The location -- very near the Cape Cod National Seashore entrance - is perfect for spending time at the beach, and the Inn itself is quiet, cool, comfortable and perfectly clean. We loved it and plan to return as soon as possible.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kmdonnelly11
Avon, CT
Reviewed 7 August 2013

This was a perfect inn. We stayed in the Sail Loft Suite, located in e Carriage House behind the Inn. The room was divided creatively with sails, and very comfortably accommodated two children, a mother and a grandmother. Our room had a small deck with a table and 4 chairs and was delightfully cool and shaded, even during the hottest part of the day.

The inn keepers were friendly and available for questions, recommendation, etc. Coffee and cookies were available all day long.

The Inn is perfectly located, across from the Salt Pond Visitor Center to theNational Seashore; the beach a mere 5 minute drive..or a short bicycle ride away. It is situated at the beginning of the outer cape..also near the Audubon Center which is fantastic and perhaps one of the hidden gems of the Cape.

I highly recommend Inn at the Oaks and hope one day to return.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank JREISKIN
Also consider these accommodations in or near Eastham
The Mansion at Ocean Edge Resort & Golf Club
Ocean Park Inn Cape Cod
Eagle Wing Inn - Cape Cod
Blue Dolphin Inn
Blue Dolphin Inn
#5 of 9 in Eastham
Four Points by Sheraton Eastham Cape Cod
Viking Shores Motor Inn

Been to Inn at the Oaks? Share your experiences!