“An Unexpected Delight”

Karoo Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 29 Restaurants in Eastham
Cuisines: African, Dutch, British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: NOTE: We are CLOSED for the winter break starting December 24th. We would resume business on March 2018. Karoo Restaurant is inspired by the diversity of British, Dutch, African, Malaysian, Portuguese and Indian flavors that make up the delicious dishes of Chef Sanette Groenewald's South African homeland. Our eclectic menu ranges from VEGAN, VEGETARIAN, and Gluten free options to homemade burgers, fish & chips, native stews and exotic meats. We carry a wide assortment South African wines and unusual imported beers from all over the world. As always our entire menu is available for dine-in or take-out.
Reviewed 9 June 2014

My husband and I enjoyed our dinner very much. We had to wait 20 minutes to be seated because reservations are not accepted. The food was very tasty. I had the Cape Malay Stew which was delectable. My husband had the Vegetarian Plate which consisted of a little of many things that he likes. The desserts were a bit different from usual fare, but very enjoyable.

Many of the offerings are marked GF for gluten-free. We had never seen this before on a menu. It was of no relevance to us, but I'm sure it would be for some people. There are also a few dishes expressly designated as vegan dishes.

The chef/owner stopped by our table to thank us for dining at her establishment. I'm sure we'll be back again on future trips to outer Cape Cod.

5  Thank Jessica O

Reviewed 6 June 2014

Went with friends on a Thursday night. The waitstaff while very friendly, was over whelmed. Granted the place was pretty full but still, a 15 minute wait for the menu ??

The peanut soup was above average. The ribs and the rest of the food we felt was way over priced, this was based on the quality which was average,or below ( the food was not very authenic). The quantity of food served was MEAGER. For example, the lamb stew was lamb stew in name only, very small portion and hardly any lamb.

The only thing one could taste in the Peri Peri Shrimp (and there was not a lot of shrimp) was the
Peri Peri. Peri Peri should be used to lend heat and flavor to a dish, you do not dump the whole bottle in and hope for the best. For what they charged the portions should have been larger, and we are not big eaters.

The cocktails, Manhattan and a Tanguray Martini tasted watered down.

We recognize we are in a resort area, and most restuarant have to make most of their profit in a small window of time, BUT PLEASE, let the customer leave your place of business feeling he or she received good value for the money spent. We did not feel this at Karoo.

3  Thank 98999Mike
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Being a local of Eastham what a treat to have Karoo right in our backyard! We’ve been here several times – and always find the food to be consistently good. We traveled to South Africa a few years ago, enjoyed the many unusual dishes and so glad to be able to continue enjoying them on Cape Cod!
We have tried many different entrees the Cape Malay stew is a favorite, just the right amount of spices. Recently I tried the meat loaf – what a surprise! It was not at all what we think of meatloaf in America, it was very moist and flavorful. There are many choices so if you are vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free or like me enjoy meat and fish there are many wonderful choices.
The staff is friendly and attentive. It is great that they were able to add an outdoor deck area because in the summer it gets very busy. Sanette, the owner has landscaped the deck area beautifully.
Try it I’m sure you will like it!

1  Thank alkatcape
Reviewed 29 May 2014

This was my first visit to Karoo in their new location in Eastham and it was great. This is a perfect pick for a groups with mixed diets, their menu clearly marks vegan/Gluten free/vegetarian options. They also have a nice selection of mocktail/fruit juices. For a group of four who all got drinks,2 apps, 4 entrees and dessert our bill was $111.00. They have a section of the store with South African imports. Food was good, I got the lamb stew. A few pieces of Lamb but mostly veggies and potatoes, great flavor and meat was very tender. The dessert (milk tart) seemed like it came out of a package. Overall I would come back.

1  Thank Emily P
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Karoo has a great menu with lots of choices for vegetarians. In fact, the vegetarian offerings are so good everyone will enjoy them. Dining is casual and the place tends to fill up on busy nights. The service is very friendly but I do get nervous when wait staff don't write things down. They did miss one of our appetizers. We will definitely return for more meals in the future. Well worth the stop if you enjoy the spices associated with Ethnic Cuisines.