“Major maintenance issues!”

Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Eastham
MA
“Major maintenance issues!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2009

After reading the reviews here, I felt fairly confident in my choice of hotels for our three night stay. Big mistake.

When we approached the (very) small room where we spent our first night, the window was rattling so loudly that we thought someone was already inside. We soon found that any time anyone walked past the room, or walked on the floor above it, the rattling would be repeated. I don't understand how any of the staff could walk anywhere near that room without realizing something major needed to be fixed.

We also noticed that the shower floor was in very poor shape. The shower was also located far from the light, so we had to shower in semi-darkness.

The final straw came the next morning, when the ceiling started leaking from the plumbing of the room above us. We asked to be moved, and packed up all of our stuff and put it in the car. (The hotel agreed to move our refrigerated items.)

We returned to the hotel at 1:30, and were told out new room wasn't ready yet. My husband spoke to another woman, and told him he felt that since checkout time was 11:00, they should have made sure we could check back in at this point. She agreed and gave us room number two.

This room was larger, but the mattress was much older and was sagging badly. There were also cleanliness problems. The bedspread had stains underneath, and the pillowcases had black marks on them. The back part of the toilet seat was not clean. We were wasting too much time of our vacation packing up and switching rooms, and we weren't sure there was a decent room anywhere in the place, so we decided to deal.

That night, we discovered that although the shower was in better condition that the first room, but had the same lighting issue. Worse, the drain was so clogged that we were ankle deep in water by the time the temperature was set. I actually had to lather up with soap before getting in, so I could just do a quick rinse off before the water backed up too much. I felt like I was camping.

When we checked out, the front desk asked if we'd enjoyed our stay. My husband told them about the issues mentioned above. Then as he walked out, he looked at the bill and found they had overcharged us because we switched rooms! They have supposedly credited us the difference.

Getting some new furniture (and the mattress in our second room was certainly not new) does not constitute this motel's claims of a "complete renovation". How did housekeeping clean a shower that was that clogged without reporting it? And how did they make up a bed every day without noticing the bedspread is stained, and enter a room where the window rattles like there's an earthquake without doing anything? Mom and Pop hotels on the Cape aren't t always in the best shape, but there are better choices out there than this place.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank shamrock08
jacqui_frost, Operations Assistant at Ocean Park Inn Cape Cod, responded to this review, 9 September 2009
Thank you for your feedback. As we are always striving to make our inn better we appreciate your honest opinion. We have made several great improvements to the inn over the past few winters and our improvements will continue. We have not had a complete renovation. We have simply updated our rooms with new artwork, furniture, bedding ensembles, new beds, most of our rooms have new carpet and all have been freshly painted. We have not updated any of our bathrooms yet. We are planning to focus our attention on bathrooms this winter and that project will be done in phases. We do apologize for the unfortunate situations you encountered while staying with us. We hope you decide to return so we can show you how great we are.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
MA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2009

The inn was heavily overbooked. I booked two rooms. However, when I checked in, they just give me one room. At the same time, there was another groups which has the same problems as me. They booked for two rooms, but they just got one room. This inn was horrendous.

Even more unbearable is that they charge me twice. Now we are still on the fight.

Cape Cod is good, but Ocean Park Inn is never a choice.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank pioneer0124

Travellers are raving about these Eastham hotels

NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2009

We chose this motel due to location and price. It is close to the National Seashore and not far from some good resturants (try Moby Dick's in Wellfleet and Homeport in Orleans for breakfast). The first room we saw turned out to be a good size but was very musty. We were able to move to an upper floor room which was more than adequate. The room was clean and comfortable. For people like us, use to staying in reasonably priced motels, this one was not bad at all. The pool was very nice, we could use the facilities of the adjacent Sheraton hotel, and the front desk help were pleasant. This is certainly a place with no frills but there was nothing more that we needed.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
jacqui_frost, General Manager at Ocean Park Inn Cape Cod, responded to this review, 5 October 2009
We want to thank you for taking the time to provide great and honest feedback. We are a family friendly Cape Cod style Inn and we love to see our guests enjoy their stay. We hope to see you again!
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2009

After checking on Trip Advisor for lodging suggestions in Yarmouth, we were very disappointed in what we saw. Although we prefer the Orleans/Eastham area of the Cape, Yarmouth seemed to offer more fun activities for children and we had our grandson with us. Being disappointed with highly rated places in Yarmouth, we decided to head to Eastham and check out some of the good reviews. Again, we were disappointed in what we saw. We ventured upon the Ocean Park Inn, not checking Trip Advisor for this one. What a surprise. Guess you really can't believe everything you read. The first room we were offered was a double Queen, which I had requested. One room was left. I must say I was disappointed when I opened the door, only because of the overwhelming, sickening smell of room deodorizer which is very prevalent on the Cape. I was told there was a problem with electric this particular day in this building only with electric keep going off for a minute or two and then coming back on. Well, that did happen, however, it was strange because the electric would go off, but air conditioner remained on. It was off for quite a while (not a minute or two) and the lights would flicker and then come on. It finally went off for a long time and didn't come back on and my grandson was getting a little scared. The front desk gal immediately honored our request to be moved, although she only had rooms with 2 double beds. I must say, what an improvement this was. What a very lovely, large bright room with nice sized bathroom with tub/shower and nice thick, fluffy towels. The Queen room only had a shower. Two walls had brick, one painted white, the other a very pretty shade of blue. This room looked like it had been refurbished and was very clean. Appeared to be new blinds and curtains. Although this is a no frills motel, it is very clean, nicely decorated and refreshing. There was absolutely no smell whatsoever in this room which was wonderful as my grandson has asthma and two years ago when we brought him, the entire stay was ruined because of the mold in the room and air conditioner where we stayed which gave him constant asthma attacks (not this motel, but rather one right down the road). Although the motel appeared nearly filled to capacity, it was very quiet and we did not hear either any activity on either side of us even though people were in those rooms. Walls don't seem to be paper thin. We decided to stay at this motel for three days. They have a large nicely kept pool with many loungers and tables. Also the grounds are very nice with hammocks, picnic tables and grills. We didn't get to use the outside facilities since it rained 2-1/2 of the 4 days we were there. The balconies all have lovely flower planters. There is a laundry room on site with couches if you prefer to wait for your clothes and also a couple vending machines with soda and snacks. Continental breakfast is not offered, but coffee is offered in the office in the morning. Guests are invited to use the amenities of their sister property next door which include indoor and outdoor pools, sauna, hot tub, game room, fitness room. There is also a restaurant next door called Bellamy's. We did partake of the indoor pool, hot tub and fitness room, as well as the breakfast buffet at Bellamy's. Non-smoking and pet-free rooms are offered. Overall, we were very pleased with our stay and the staff and check-in and check-out went very smoothly even though at check-out time we had no electric or water due to a heavy storm the previous night. I was told a receipt would be emailed to me as soon as the electric came on, and by the time I reached home, the receipt was in my email with no problems. Very nice gals at the desk and very apologetic with any problems with the inconveniences. TV was a nice size and had great reception. The complimentary wireless internet worked perfectly in the room. There is a mini fridge in the room which appeared to be a newer model and worked fine. The air conditioner, although a little noisy, worked with no problems whatsoever. Large parking lot. Chairs to sit on outside rooms. The complimentary Trailmix bars in the rooms at check-in is a nice touch. We would certainly stay at this motel during any future stays to the area. It was a pleasant experience and a really nice find. One of the downsides is there is no coffeemaker in the room...that would be nice.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Nonnap
Rhode Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2009

What a nice surprise! My husband and I just returned from a weekend trip at the Ocean Park Inn and were happy to see the improvements. Same friendly staff as the last time. The best part is that guests of this hotel are able to use the amenities of the next door Sheraton hotel. We loved the swimming pool and fitness center. I highly recommend this hotel as an affordable place to stay in Cape Cod.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Brookfield, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2009

I just returned from a long weekend at the newly renovated Ocean Park Inn. I have stayed at this motel several times in the past years and have always found it to be clean and adequate but I agree it was time for a facelift.
I was pleasantly surprised to find new furniture, bedspreads,curtains,carpeting and freshly painted rooms. I believe the bathrooms also had newly installed flooring as well as new light fixtures over the mirrors and the TV and refrigerator appeared to be brand new.The exterior of the the motel also appears to be freshly painted and the ample lawn area was nicely groomed.
Although not a luxury resort you will get a very good value for your money with friendly, courteous service at this motel.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
new hampshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2007

We were very disappointed, there was no hair dryer, the carpet was stained, the bath tub was stained. There was no WiFi. The suspended ceiling was bowed. The wall was painted white brick. The fitted sheets did not fit the bed and kept popping off. The view going up to the room and looking out the back window was littered with an old washer or dryer and old rotting fencing.
The staff was friendly and courteous, however I would not stay here again and would not recommend it.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — No hair dryer, stains on carpet and no wifi
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank kkatNewHampshire
jacqui_frost, Manager at Ocean Park Inn Cape Cod, responded to this review, 17 April 2009
Thank you for your reviews of the Ocean Park Inn. As the hotel Manager, I’m happy to report major improvements in all areas mentioned. Since your review, Ocean Park Inn has renovated and updated every area of the hotel in need of a little TLC. Plush new carpets have been installed and all newly painted guest rooms, equipped with wireless internet, now showcase a fresh new décor complete with an entirely new furniture and bedding package. We continue to provide quality service and hope that you will consider staying at our property again. I am confident you will not be disappointed.
Please don't hesitate to contact the inn directly with questions about the updates mentioned.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Eastham
Blue Water on the Ocean
Captains Quarters Motel and Conference Center
Town Crier Motel
Town Crier Motel
#7 of 9 in Eastham

Been to Ocean Park Inn Cape Cod? Share your experiences!