“Expected little, got A LOT!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Captain Jack's Roadside Shack
Ranked #16 of 47 Restaurants in Easthampton
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Fast food
Good for: Child-friendly, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Hadley, Massachusetts
“Expected little, got A LOT!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2012

I'd driven by Captain Jack's on Rt 9 in Easthampton countless times. It was always busy but I just couldn't bring myself to eat at "another roadside" greasy spoon.

My honey and I stopped by, at her insistence, to get lunch.

WOW!

First the menu was much more upscale than I had anticipated.
Second the service was very friendly and reasonably quick.
The seating outside was "Cape Cod-esque" with a view of Mt Tom.

We each got the chicken breast with onion rings.

It was a REAL and WHOLE 1/2 a chicken breast, bbq'd to perfection. The onion rings were incredibly thin and fried to perfection. Not overly greasy, crunchy and tasty!
The french fries were also thinly cut and deep fried - TIP: Don't order a large french fry unless there are at least 4 of you! The "small" is more than enough for two!
The also encourage BYOB, too!

The chicken breast sandwich with onion rings was $7.50 and the small fries was $2.50. For $10 I had a tasty lunch made from quality food and had an great outdoor dining experience.

I've spent $10 at McDonalds, Burger King or Wendy's and not gotten the value or quality.

Stop in. You'll be glad you did!

• Visited September 2012
2 Thank kwhatley

Massachusetts
“Interesting”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2012

Just went to Jacks. Portions were good sized but everything very oily. Scallops were large and cooked properly but wish they had a reg fried coating to them verses no coating. The clams were fried perfectly but unfortunately all I could taste was the oil. The onion strings were very tasty and enormous amount. I must say we are regulars at the Cape so we have very picky taste buds and prefer a light fried coating.This place wasnt for us but I guess I would say if you arent able to get fried fish frequently I would probably go here.
One major problem .... I dont know if it was due to the hot weather that night or what but the flies were awful and if I were them I would try do something. If they are present when you are in line take your food home. They tend to hand around the picnic tables!

• Visited August 2012
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Love this place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2012

We live 15 minutes away and frequently make the drive. Everything is unique, fresh, and reasonably priced. The special hot dogs and fish tacos are our favorite!

Bethesda
“Great food but be careful about the platters”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2012

This place has absolutely delicious food and is among the best seafood in the area. However, be careful about ordering too much food, and very oily food at that. Both me and my girlfriend got seafood platters that come with fries and could not come close to finishing. The portions on the fires are huge and they are very oily, so much so that after half the portion the taste of oil is so overwhelming that it is hard to keep eating. THe scallops and clams were excellent though and some woman had a fish sandwhich that also looked good. Definitley somewhere to go to staisfy your seafood craving.

• Visited April 2012
Chicopee
“Quick & Tasty!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2012

We stopped for a quick bite to eat after hitting Southampton Harley Davidson. Hubby ordered the Pulled Pork Sandwich w/ fries. I ordered the grilled Chicken Breast w/ Brie. Both were tasty. I definitely will try the seafood next time. Hubby LOVED their fries!! We like the picnic style bench seating, old school :)

1 Thank bi_angel71