“Holiday Inn Service at Ritz Carlton Prices”
Review of The Hob Knob

The Hob Knob
Ranked #1 of 10 Edgartown B&B and Inns
Manchester, Vermont
“Holiday Inn Service at Ritz Carlton Prices”
Reviewed 14 July 2011

We stayed here for 4 nights straight, so plenty of experiences to base this view.

For $500 a night a quiet room would be expected - constant street noise and cooling machinery made that impossible.

For $500 a night a caring staff with luxurious touches would be expected - nickel and dime methods and staff chatting amongst themselves about problems (like "they are all ordering pancakes") made that also impossible. Breakfasts were nothing special.

Simply put, at $300 a night this would rate as "poor", but at $500 a night it is simply terrible. We expected much more true luxury based on their website.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
20 Thank Nomad1979

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
South Florida, Florida
Reviewed 28 June 2011

My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our 4 nights at the Hob Knob. Not only is this small hotel centrally located (i.e., no water view, but a short walk to everything - including the central bus stop that can lead you anywhere on the island), but it is also surprisingly delightful.

We stayed in a second floor room with an extremely comfortable king bed. The room was not super large and neither was the bathroom, but it was nicely appointed and comfortable. Although the hotel is on a busy street, our room remained free from outside noise throughout our stay. Carpeting, good windows and a white noise machine (among the room's features) helped assure our sense of privacy.

The public spaces are varied and well maintained, including several living-room/den type spaces, various verandas, the garden area, the fitness center (we were not expecting a fitness center), the spa, etc. The included breakfast (from 8 am to 10 am) is way above average and the tea (from 4 pm to 6 pm) should not be missed. The baked goods are all made on site, and we missed their coffee when we had to move on to another hotel on the Cape for a family wedding.

Do not expect a pool or jacuzzi, as there is none.

In town, we enjoyed our dinners at Atria (the Cellar), Alchemy and Latanzi's (Pizza). Alchemy was our favorite. We would prefer to forget our meal at Sea Shanty. The Hob Knob does not offer lunch or dinner.

I do not know whether we will get back to the Vineyard any time soon, but - if we do - the Hob Knob is our first choice.hotel.

3 Thank swiftylazar
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 22 June 2011

First, let me say that I did not stay at this hotel. I found out last week that one of my very best girlfriends and her husband were going there to celebrate their 15 year anniversary.
I wanted to have some champagne in the room, the champagne that us girls drink when we are together, Cliquot.
As promised when they arrived, it was there and on ice and my receipt arrived promptly and my friends had an awesome time. They stayed Sun June 19th and said that the place was lovely and that the breakfast was to die for and most importantly, the place is spotless.
I was just really appreciative that I could call this place and Anthony could put all of this together for me two hours before they were due to arrive.
Thank you, Anthony!

1 Thank Redrabidrabit333
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 20 June 2011

If you’re looking for a relaxing, romantic, and/or charming setting to get away from your job, the hustle and bustle of the city, and focus on just yourself for a few days, then I strongly encourage you stay here. The location is perfect in Edgartown centrally located to shopping and restaurants. We even decided to work out on our vacation and used the fitness room and took advantage of the bike rentals. The staff was very friendly, attentive, and exceeded my expectations for a Hotel staff - just the perfect balance of being available but not in our personal space. The wonderful breakfast and afternoon tea was so delightful. My wife and I will definitely come back for another stay.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank golfsmith
Aurora, Ohio
Reviewed 18 June 2011

We arrived on Cape Air at the charming Vineyard airport and were cheerfully greeted by Jon's Taxi and quickly taken to our magical spot for our special weekend. Upon checking into Hob Knob, where the most attractive and cheerful front desk staff asked for our name and info, we promptly knew we made the right choice. Not only were they only cheerful and attentive but gave us complete concierge service with suggestions about all the island has to offer. We were first time visitors.

We loved the smell of fresh baked cookies and tea that were put out and available to the guests. We loved the cheerful and homey decor. We spent many relaxing times on the lovely porch overlooking beautifully manicured gardens.

No matter what we asked the hotel to provide nothing was too much trouble.

We are definitely planning to go back and will take our family. It's a great spot for a reunion. I highly recommend Hob Knob.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank lindafoss
Miami
Reviewed 13 June 2011

We have been to the Hob knob Hotel twice in the last 2 years. We have enjoyed both visits although I wish they would have upgraded us to a larger room one the 3rd floor, as I think there were only 5 rooms book during our stay. The entire staff is exceptional and I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking to stay on Martha's Vineyard.

1 Thank Orthodontics
new york, new york
Reviewed 13 June 2011

After a couple of very stressful wks, my husband and I were in need of some serious r&r. We definitely found it during our weekend at The Hob Knob. The rooms and the grounds are both immaculate - believe me when I say this because I am very picky when it comes to hotels. We also loved the charming, New England-style decor. The service level was sufficient but not "in-your-face."

The only thing that could be better is the breakfast and the afternoon tea. The breakfast was average, un-inspired and forgettable. Also, almost the exact same items were on the menu for both saturday and sunday (there's more to brunch than eggs, french toast, and pancakes!). For a luxury boutique hotel in this price range, I defintely expected more. We've been to MV many times and have stayed at a number of places. We enjoyed the breakfast at the Jonathan Monroe house much more.

The afternoon tea was equally unimpressive - I think there was banana bread, some kind of oatmeal cookie and a very bitter tasting gingersnap cookie. These baked goods seemed almost amateur.

Aside from the food, we enjoyed our stay very much and would definitely return.

1 Thank roadprincess
Also consider these accommodations in or near Edgartown
Mansion House
Pequot Hotel
#1 of 3 in Oak Bluffs
Clarion Inn Martha's Vineyard
Vineyard Square Hotel & Suites

Been to The Hob Knob? Share your experiences!