“Really nice B&B in Martha's Vineyard (Edgartown)”
Review of The Hob Knob

The Hob Knob
Ranked #1 of 10 Edgartown B&B and Inns
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Really nice B&B in Martha's Vineyard (Edgartown)”
Reviewed 11 November 2011

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights in early October and had a great time. The staff was helpful, and we liked the tea-time. Room had lots of space, and the bed was very comfortable. Breakfast was very tasty - especially the locally sourced sausage! Lots of nice areas to just sit and relax in the hotel - read the paper, play checkers. They are just a 5-minute walk from the Edgartown harbor/lighthouse. They have a parking lot if you want to bring a car onto the island. Better fitness room than I expected in a B&B, although they asked us not to use it before 8am. The walls are not soundproof and we could hear muffled conversations through the wall. They had beach chairs we used to go to the public beaches. The only complaint I had was that the hotel is on Main St. and even though we weren't there in peak season, the traffic heading into Edgartown made it pretty loud outside, so we didn't spend much time sitting on very nicely decorated wrap-around porch and patio.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does NOT face Main Street because the traffic can be noisy.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
London
Reviewed 8 October 2011

We had a few nights at the Hob Knob earlier this month. We thought it was great. It is very conveniently located for walking round Edgartown and we were pleased that we had not rented a car (the hotel has bikes for hire too). Excellent breakfast, free wifi, great afternoon tea. The only negative thing I would say is that in our room, the walls were very thin and we could even hear our neighbours talking next door. Otherwise, a great hotel which I would recommend.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Traveller_Richard
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed 4 October 2011

We had a very nice time on Martha's Vineyard and the Hob Knob definitely contributed to that. The staff was helpful and friendly, the breakfast was tasty, and the beds were really comfortable.

Breakfast each day (included in room price) was a combo of buffet and coked to order. Buffet had juices, coffee and tea, scone, granola, yogurt and milk, and selection of fruit. Cooked to order included choice of omelette, eggs, french toast or pancakes. Tried each except the pancakes and all were good - omelette was particularly good. Choice of meat comes with it - the locally made breakfast sausage was a favorite of my husband's.

Location is just a couple of blocks away from town center, so very walkable. Only thing we were surprised by was the main road into town can be loud if you are sitting outside on the lovely porch or in the garden. It is not an issue for sleeping since rooms are tucked away in back, but we did not enjoy the outside area as much as we would have otherwise. (That being said, we did see a woman taking an afternoon nap on a porch sofa, so maybe it was just us)

There is a fitness room that is small, but the equipment was in good shape - an elliptical, treadmill and bike as well as some weights.

Free parking, which was very nice

One suggestion to the innkeepers would be to have the bikes owned by the hob knob available at no charge to guests. The rental fee is the same as the bikes in town, but we felt that considering the price of the room, this would be a nice perk for guests.

Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank lookingforhome
Vancouver BC
Reviewed 22 September 2011

Conveniently located if you like being able to walk, wander and ride everywhere. Having a parking spot for one's vehicle and not worrying about parking is a perk in an overly crowded area when it's high season.

Our only complaint is for the prices and the marketed class of the inn, the bikes should be replaced. They are old, battered and not well-maintained. We were looking forward to riding bikes to visit the other towns during our stay but one look at them upon check-in, we instantly knew we would be renting better bikes elsewhere.

Tip - unless they replace their bikes, I would recommend walking down a block or 2 on Main St. and rent one for the same price as the inn charges - $25. You will get the use of a good dependable bike and most likely not more than a few years old.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Albany, New York
Reviewed 22 September 2011

The Hob Knob is beautiful and charming. My husband and I stayed here for the two days around our wedding in May. We had the private entrance room. The room itself was huge, clean, and tastefully decorated. It was a great place to prepare for my wedding with a few family members.

Two issues severely tainted our view of this inn, however. First, this particular room is right over the dining room and they start piping music at around 7AM. That's a little too early to be woken up the morning after your wedding celebration! Don't get me wrong, I'm an early riser, but when I'm staying at a hotel, I'm usually on vacation and want to sleep in just a little bit.

The larger problem was that I left my purse in the room while I was out on Saturday and every last bit of cash was stolen. I didn't discover it until we were about to check out on Sunday. I wasn't going to say anything initially but it ate away at me after we left the place. It took two days for the manager to get back to me. At that point, he promised an investigation and follow up but I never heard from him again. This left such a bad taste in my mouth and really put a damper on my wedding.

It's a shame, my mother in law has a house in Edgartown and after visiting the Hob Knob while we were there she had decided it would be her go-to place when they had too many guests at her own house. Unfortunately, after this event no one in our circle of family and friends will stay at the Hob Knob again.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
18 Thank Valerae
Pennsylvania, USA
Reviewed 17 September 2011

The Hob Knob is one of the most ideal places we have ever stayed. The flow of this small inn feels intimate yet private; the owner knows how to blend coziness with sophisticated charm. The staff were extremely knowledgeable about all things Martha's Vineyard, and went out of their way to make us feel pampered. It's in a perfect location, too -- within walking distance to everything, yet just a bit removed from the congestions of downtown Edgartown. We can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Our ground floor room had some outdoor a/c unit noise, otherwise was very quiet.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 15 September 2011

I have stayed (3) times at the Hob Knob. Love it. The Inn is beautifully decorated and designed. The breakfast is cooked to order and delicious. I have some wonderful memories of my time there.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Edgartown
Mansion House
Pequot Hotel
Pequot Hotel
#1 of 3 in Oak Bluffs
Vineyard Square Hotel & Suites

Been to The Hob Knob? Share your experiences!