“Deceiving - this is not a B & B”
Review of Kelley House

Kelley House
Ranked #8 of 10 Edgartown B&B and Inns
Calgary, Canada
“Deceiving - this is not a B & B”
Reviewed 29 October 2012

I recently booked a trip for my husband and I to explore New England for the first time staying in unique B&B's. I used tripadvisor to pick out B&B's going by their ranking of the top five. I was shocked when we arrived at Kelley House which was ranked as one of the top B&B's in Martha's Vineyard because this is a 53 room hotel built to house the cast for the movie "Jaws" in the 1970's. The rooms are slightly musty, boring beige rooms in need of an update. There is no breakfast either - just a few commercially prepared muffins with an urn of coffee put on a table in the lobby. If I had booked this hotel through a travel agent I would be asking for compensation but since I relied on the accuracy of tripadvisor.ca I will have no recourse. I can't believe no review picked up on this - unless it was deliberately hid by this website. The pictures on the website do not reflect the motel/hotel at all! Shame on you tripadvisor!

Room Tip: Room 116 was musty and had cobwebs hanging from the ceiling and in the bathroom. No sound proofing...
4 Thank C M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
attleboro, ma
Reviewed 10 October 2012

Recently spent Columbus Day Weekend on Martha's Vineyard and stayed at the Kelley House. Very spacious room and extremely comfy bed! We were on the first floor which made for easy access in and out. My only complaint would be that you could hear the people above us getting up at 7:00 a.m. and taking a shower and walking around. Other than that, we had a perfect stay. Also ate at the Newes Pub which is adjacent to the Kelley House and it was delicious and cozy. Highly recommend both places when visiting the Vineyard.

Room Tip: We stayed during Columbus Day weekend and we were on the first floor and it was pretty quiet. I woul...
East Orleans, Massachusetts
Reviewed 5 October 2012

we stayed one night this week--perfect shoulder season--less crowded but shops & restaurants still open. great location, our 2nd floor (very large) room had view of the water from 3 windows. steve, the manager, was very helpful with restaurant suggestions. had lunch in their tavern---great fish & chips, & french onion soup.

Room Tip: room 216---waterview
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 1 October 2012

I was on an escorted tour of Cape Cod and had never been to Martha's Vineyard before. I could not of been happier with the hotel - It's location was perfect for walking to shops, restaurants, the harbor, etc. Rooms were comfortable, staff was excellent and the fresh baked cookies in the evening ended a perfectly wonderful day. The staff was excellent but I wanted to make special mention to the hotel's manager Steven Brunelle. Not only was he exceptionally friendly and worked tiredlessly to make sure everyone's stay was memorable he also took on a task that was not part of his job description for me. In all my travels I don't think any hotel staffer has inpressed me more than Steve. Kukos to Steve and thank you from the bottom of my heart!
P.S. Oana was great too.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank angels3jan
New York City, New York
Reviewed 26 September 2012

I stayed at the Kelly House located in Edgartown when on the vineyard. A few years ago I stayed at the Haborview resort. I was happy there but it was a short walk into town. When I called to make a reservation there no rooms were available. They recommended their sister property which was the Kelly House.
The Kelly house has a few different buildings on well kept grounds. We stayed in the garden house, which is the main building. Since parking is hard to fine on the vineyard it was nice to see that the Kelly House had parking exclusively for it's guests. When we arrived the doorman can right out and helped us bring in our bags. The Kelly House does not have elevators, but it keeps it historic. The Kelly House was founded in 1742, it is a historic building!! The room was large with nice beds and a fridge. In the lobby muffins and coffee was served in the morning and cookies and milk at night.
The pool was salt water and kept in good order. There is a large area to keep bikes. The staff was very helpful. Charlotte the head of the front desk gave very good suggestions.
The hotel was located in central Edgartown. The pub next to the hotel "The News from America" was very good.
Will be back at the Kelly House in the near future

Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Andrew43234
Connecticut
Reviewed 26 September 2012

We stayed in the garden house of Kelley House for two nights on the 23-25th of August. The amenities and bedding and space in the room were very very good. The staff is a wonderful group of young people who care only about your comfort and happiness. Delicious muffins and coffee in the AM with great cookies in the PM in the lobby. Easy walking distance to everything we wanted to see. about a block from the Chappy Ferry and the docks. We were disappointed that the bathtub in room 116 was stained with a bit of mildew on the peeling wall paper over the tub. When we asked about it we were told they would be remodeling soon. (So ask if they have remodeled before booking your room if you care about the tub) We would not hesitate to stay there again.

Room Tip: Room 116 had the stained/ring/mildew on the tub. It looks out onto the pool and terrace and is a co...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 24 September 2012

We recently returned from a brief trip to Martha's Vineyard, and we can't say enough good things about our experience at the Kelley House in Edgartown. First, the property is immaculate and everything is lovely. Second, the management and staff were the most friendly, courteous, and accommodating that we have ever experienced! And third, the location is perfect - right in the center of Edgartown, next to the Chappy ferry - where you can walk to everything and enjoy the stroll. The manager, Steve, could not have been more gracious and he thought of everything to make our stay as enjoyable as possible.

The rooms are beautiful/spacious and so are the bathrooms. They are obviously cleaned with care. The hotel has double, king, and suite room options, as well as two condo-type (2 story) options that are separate from the hotel. In your room you will find some very nice, generously sized, unbreakable, aqua drink containers with lids - to take water or other beverages out to the pool in. The pool is lovely, with bright, cheerful yellow and white towels, an outdoor shower/changing room and umbrella tables on the patio where you can relax with family and friends. The muffins and coffee that were put out in the lobby for guests were delicious and included in the room price. They also put out large chocolate chip cookies and cold milk in the lobby between 8-9PM for a snack - heavenly! There was a lovely fire burning in the lobby fireplace and everything about this hotel just glowed - comfortable, welcoming and just perfect.

We ate dinner at the pub that is managed by the Kelley House and we had the best fish and chips I have ever experienced (it was a very generous portion!). There was off street parking nearby and you did not hear any noise from the street when you were in the room. I woke up early and wandered down by the wharf with my coffee and muffin (while my husband slumbered) and then brought him a little 'breakfast in bed" of his own muffin and coffee. Since we had a late ferry back to the mainland, the hotel manager graciously offered us a late checkout, which was so kind (we had not thought to ask...) and is indicative of the superior service provided by this establishment. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who visits Martha's Vineyard.

Room Tip: Fitness Center and Room Service are not applicable here. There is no elevator in this hotel, but th...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SailingGirl1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Edgartown
Harbor View Hotel
The Christopher
The Christopher
#2 of 10 in Edgartown
Vineyard Square Hotel & Suites

Been to Kelley House? Share your experiences!