“Fantastic stay!”

Ranked #8 of 10 Edgartown B&B and Inns
Woods Hole, Massachusetts
“Fantastic stay!”
Reviewed 22 June 2013 via mobile

My fiancé and I came here to celebrate our engagement and stayed in the Courthouse. The room was modern with all the perfect amenities and the service was impeccable. I will recommend to everyone! Great location and easy access to all means of transportation. A five star accommodation for sure! You've exceeded our expectations!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Chefanie79

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 22 June 2013

It can't get any better for what you want in Edgartown .
also the internet is great. staff are amazing and friendly . I would like to thank you all for the great work .
very clean rooms and that is all i need on my travel , clean room and internet .

Room Tip: rooms are large has virdge but old TV but i care less for TV anyway .
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Plymouth, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed 18 June 2013

I recently stayed at the Kelly House and was very disappointed in the accommodations. We had a double double on the first floor and while I love the charm of the old Inn, I must say the bathroom needed a major overhaul. The shower is old and the flooring and wallpaper need to be redone by a professional. I had to ask to have the mold on the shower faucet removed two times. The carpeting in the room is old and stained and an upgrade to flat screen tv's is needed.
Overall I was very disappointed once I walked through the warm and inviting foyer.

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Jane H
Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
Reviewed 10 June 2013

Kelley House is historic-the building dates from the 1700's. But its rooms have all the amenities a 21st century traveler needs: very large and comfortably furnished, well-appointed bathrooms, extremely clean, very comfortable beds and linens, refrigerator, quiet, and a joy to stay in. The lobby has an inviting fire in the fireplace, with fresh, warm cookies in the evening and coffee and muffins in the morning. No elevator, but the staff carried our heavy luggage up to our room. For an elegant touch, we were greeted by the room radio tuned to the classical music station. The pool area has a tree-shaded patio with tables and chairs to enjoy morning coffee or an evening glass of wine. (Wine store is a block away.) Kelley House has the best location in Edgartown, right across the street from the docks, steps from the Chappaquidick ferry and harbor, and very close to all the shops of Main Street and the galleries. (Tip: visit the Willoughby Gallery--the art is fantastic, and it is owned by a very accomplished artist.) I saw some critical reviews for Kelley House, but didn't experience anything like they say--the room and the hotel were exceptionally clean, quiet, and very nice. We regretted that our stay was only one night. Finally, you don't need a car. The cab fare from the Oak Bluff ferry dock was only $20 to the hotel, and to Vineyard Haven was $22. That is less than the cost of taking a car on the ferry just one way, and again, everything in Edgartown is walkable from Kelley House. If you walk to the lighthouse, you pass some beautiful and interesting 19th centiury sea-captains' houses. For dinner we looked at expensive restaurants on Main Street, but chose the "Newes" right next to Kelley House. Its fish-and-chips were the best we had in an entire week on Cape Cod and Martha's Vineyard, for a much lower price that the Main Street restaurants. Great tap beer selections, too. I would absolutely stay at Kelley House again, and eat at Newes, and I highly recommend both.

Room Tip: Our second-floor room was large, quiet and comfortable. If you bring expensive jewelry, ask for one...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TerryG49
Branford, CT
Reviewed 4 June 2013

My fiance and I stayed at the Kelley House this past weekend (June 1-3) due to the great reviews. However, we were less than impressed. I have never written a review for a place I have stayed until now.

Upon arriving, we removed the bed comforter to find black hair everywhere. There were also dried blood stains on one of the pillows, and the toilet wasn't working. All of this was attended to (not in the friendliest manner, I might add). However, the toilet got clogged two more times and we were not able to use it one of the nights and had to walk to the main house. The third time it was attended to, it got fixed-even though we told the staff there it was more than a simple plumbing issue. In addition, the AC was broken on the second night we were there (and it didn't work very well the first night). We were told it was being worked on and we were also told someone would let us know when it would be fixed. No one let us know, and it was very hot and uncomfortable.

We both understand things happen that cannot be avoided; i.e., the toilet and AC, and that is OK. However,not one person (apart from a woman I spoke with at the front desk in the middle of the night on Saturday) went out of their way to apologize for anything, ask how to make our stay better, etc. None of the staff were very helpful or friendly, and did not seem to be bothered by anything that happened. This especially upset me with the hair on the bed-that is unacceptable. We were told we could not go to another room because the hotel was "100% booked." However, it did not look like anyone else was staying in the area we stayed (Chappy House) with us, apart from an older man we saw. We could have been moved to a different room, even if it was for one night.

This was supposed to be a special weekend for the two of us, as we got engaged. It was, and the location can't be beat. We did enjoy the private deck as well. But, the behavior of the staff at the Kelley House was less than satisfactory and we will not stay there again.

Room Tip: If you stay here, splurge for a suite. The room we stayed in was very outdated, dirty, and needs a g...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Kelley J
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Reviewed 30 May 2013

After reading the comments of other travelers I must say--it appears that not much has changed since our visit in 1979!!!

We only had reservations for one night-due to a nasty storm we were unable to return to Falmouth as all of the ferry boats were locked in port. The staff at the Kelly House were so wonderful and they went out of their way to make us feel comfortable and arranged for a special rate ($$) and they had to work extra hours finishing the renovations on a room that was not ready for use.

My wife and our two children (now grown) have fond memories of the Kelly House!

Room Tip: Enjoy the warmth and charm of the house - the staff-and the overall location!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 30 May 2013

You are paying for location and that is about it. One of the previous reviews said it best, "uninspiring."

The hotel was clean but was not up todate. The carpet through-out our room and parts of the hotel was stained and bordered on disgusting. It is an old noisy hotel. In our room we could hear ever step taken on the floor above us and as people moved up and down the hallway and stairs.

The staff was fine, but I expected better and more attentive service for the cost. If you need a place to sleep but not hang out this is the place. Get in and get out quickly.

Avoid the restaurant "The Newes." Went there twice, once out of curiosity and the second time out of exhausting and desperation (my fault, granted) and the service was not great. We were told we could be seated but we could not order for 15 minutes because of something going on in the kitchen. I think the bartender looked drunk. I ordered a particular glass of wine from their menu and was given something different. Only when I brought it to their attention did they tell me they were out of the wine I asked for and didn't bother to tell me.

They supplied chocolate chip cookies and milk in the evening...that was nice.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank R F
Also consider these accommodations in or near Edgartown
Harbor View Hotel
Pequot Hotel
Pequot Hotel
#1 of 3 in Oak Bluffs
Vineyard Square Hotel & Suites

Been to Kelley House? Share your experiences!