“Not a place I'd stay at again”
Review of Kelley House

Kelley House
Ranked #9 of 10 Edgartown B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 August 2013

The place is not horrible but I regret not looking for a different hotel in Edgartown. The reception (foreign employees there for the summer) are friendly and helpful. The location is pretty good; lots of shops and businesses surrounding it. It also has complimentary parking, pool, and (free but weak signaled) wifi. However, it would be considered a very low end hotel anywhere in the mainland US. The issues I have are that the rooms are very outdated and have a moldy feel, small spiderwebs are located in several areas around the beds, there is no elevator, and you can hear everything going on in the building and feels like its waiting to cave in. You can hear every word your neighbor is saying as if sitting with them, you can hear and feel the vibration of every step someone down the hall makes, every door closed sounds as if slammed, and the vacuum cleaner several rooms away may as well be right outside your door. For $365/night, I hope they use that money to make some adjustments.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank M W

Reviewed 29 July 2013

We had the pleasure staying at the Kelley House. I loved this old historic hotel. It was close to everything and we could walk. to some nice restaurants and shopping Nice view of the harbour from our room

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank julie r
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Stayed on Monday night, first floor. Paid almost $400 for the night. Big room with two queen beds, fine for my daughter and I. Great location, close to Edgartown shops and restaurants, friendly staff.
The ceiling in the bathroom had significant black mold. Very out dated bathroom. Did not feel clean.
Nice towels and sheets. Beds comfortable.

Room Tip: First floor noisy, hallway enters out door pool area
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank dottie S
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Great history - NO ELEVATOR so if you need any assistance - and do not like staying on 1st floor- stay elsewhere. It was EXTREMELY warm (read 96 degrees) during my stay - the AC was cold but could be a tad cooler. Nice pool, great location, friendly staff. The hotel could use a quick update to the bathrooms (ie: newer tub) & Tv's. The beds in my room were SOFT. The hotel is a short (5 minute at best) walk to the Chappy ferry. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Stay on the 3rd Floor!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Ms.Me2
Reviewed 13 July 2013

I have stay at the Kelly house multiple times and it has always been a great experience.
It's one of those places shots "Vineyard". It has the dyed in the wool feal of New England. The views across the channel are wonderful and you a just a stones throw from Chappy and the hub of Edgartown.
By the way, be sure to try the "NEWES TAVERN" right next to the hotel, its great!!

Room Tip: The condo style rooms (around back facing the water) are superior.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank aquinnahaha1812
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Our family has been vacationing every year in Edgartown for the past 15 years. It's been our home away from home. The service has always been wonderful and the location is great. In the past three years we have noticed a big change in the staff and hotel cleanliness. The wonderful lady that used to be there is no longer around. Our recent stay for 2 weeks was not so great. There were clean towels in our room upon arrival and that was the only time we had a set of towels for three people during our stay. Day two we did not get any towels at all and when I went to the front desk to ask, I was told there weren't any. We finally bought towels and washed them in the laundry matt in Oak Bluffs. The bathtub was never cleaned. There was sand in it and cobwebs in all the corners of the bathroom. The floor is molded and the shower curtin is molded and falling apart. The bathroom smells of mold. The outlets don't work as the plugs are loose and whatever you plug in just falls out. The hairdryer doesn't work either. Our room had 5 hangers spots but only 4 hangers. I asked if they had another hanger or two and they couldn't understand what I was saying. The front desk help didn't understand what a washcloth was when I asked for one. There was a definate communication problem. I asked for a recommendation about a dinner restuarant and again the front desk had blank stares and could not be of any help. The sheets were never changed. One day the beds were not made and I don't believe they ever came in the room. There is so much dust on the glass table that I took everything off and cleaned them and the bathroom as well. We didn't have toilet paper in our bathroom for two days. We used up the kleenex in the room and that wasn't replaced for a few days. The television in our room is not working. The picture goes fuzzy on and off the entire time it's on. It's been that way for three years. We stayed in this same room before and I made a note of these things three years ago and nothing has been corrected. They offer water in the hall downstairs but you have to ask for a cup which the front desk has to go get from a locked closet. We bought our own cups. The pool towels were impossible to get. I waited an hour for a towel one day and then they brought out only one towel. If they are losing towels, they should have people check them out as they do in other hotels. I get the feeling that something is not right with this hotel. It's very sad. It used to be an amazing place to stay. There are many other options when staying in Edgartown. Sadly, we will not be back at the Kelly House.

Room Tip: Rooms near the bathroom downstairs are rough as they keep their cleaning cart in the hallway and peo...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
8  Thank Denise S
Reviewed 9 July 2013

What can I say this hotel is worth every penny. Not only is it in a lovely area but the hotel is gorgeous with larger than average rooms. The staff was wonderful as well. Parking a little difficult but other than that we loved our stay here and plan to stay here again next time we are in Martha's Vineyard.

Room Tip: stay in Edgartown, it is a lovely place.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Annette M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Edgartown
Harbor View Hotel
The Christopher
The Christopher
#2 of 10 in Edgartown
Vineyard Square Hotel & Suites

Been to Kelley House? Share your experiences!