“excellent...would definately recommend”

Ranked #8 of 10 Edgartown B&B and Inns
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“excellent...would definately recommend”
Reviewed 25 August 2010

This was our first tme on the Vineyard and we were not disapointed, the hotel is situated in an excellent location and the staff were extremely helpful and always on hand, plus the evening milk and cookies were excellent. We all had a wonderful time and are already planning our next vacation.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Maryland
Reviewed 19 August 2010

Stayed at the Kelley House for a combination business/leisure trip. I was coordinating a wedding at a private home in Oak Bluffs. The location can't be beat - you can walk to everything in Edgartown and park your car! The traffic on the island at this time of year is horrendous, but manageabIe. I was a little concerned at first because my room was on the first floor directly across from the ice and water and just off the lobby. However, I didn't hear a thing! Slept very well - the beds are very comfortable. The only negative thing I can think of is that I didn't like the border and the linoleum floor in the bathroom! but those are such minor things. Loved the refrigerator in the room. Breakfast was great. Service personnel were extremely helpful and inconspicuous. Great hotel, great location, great staff. The prices were a bit steep but if you have to be in Edgartown, this place is the best.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
Ridgeland, MS
Reviewed 17 August 2010

Our family of five stayed at the Kelly House in July 2010. We stayed in the Courthouse. The rooms were great! They were very clean and well-kept, and, thank goodness, were air conditioned. Housekeeping changed our sheets and towels every other day, and cleaned our kitchen. The staff was extremely friendly, and everyone went out of their way to help us with our inquiries and to make reservations for us for dining. We could not have asked for a better time. We certainly plan to return soon.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Larchmont, New York
Reviewed 7 August 2010

We stayed in room 308 at the Kelley House from July 30th-August 2nd. The room was lovely, very large and well-appointed. The bathroom was a bit dated, and not attractive, but the shower pressure was good. The bed was extremely comfortable, and the air conditioning was nice and cold. The pool is a nice addition, and we used it a lot. It was clean, and there were always chairs available. So, on the surface it all sounds good. For over $300 a night, however, you would expect a lot more in the way of small touches and other "customer service" issues that really make a hotel stay stand out. This is where the Kelley House falls short. The staff at the front desk was always nice, and tried to be very helpful, but some were simply not that knowledgable about the island. Housekeeping and maintaince was the real problem. Housekeeping put a ripped fitted sheet on our bed, that was not changed during our entire stay. Our bathroom toiletries were never replaced. There were light bulbs out in out bathroom that were never replaced. I used my hairdryer, and (this has NEVER happened to me in any place that I have stayed, EVER) I blew a fuse in the room. It was fixed promptly, but how does that happen in a hotel where you are spending $300 a night. I know the house is old, but the electricity should be updated appropriately to accomodate small appliances. Housekeeping never got to our room before 2:30, and once, they still had not gotten to our room by 4 p.m. (we were never out of our room later than 11 am on any day). The "free internet" offered is useless. There was not a single time in the four days that we were there, that the internet worked beyond a crawl. I had to look up my ferry reservation to make a change, and it took me 25 minutes to get through all of the screens necessary to do what I had to do. I think I could have forgiven all of that, but then I went down for breakfast, and that convinced me that the management at the Kelley House does not care about customer service. The breakfast was a continental breakfast (which is fine), but nothing put out on the table was quality. There were hard tasteless bagels, stale danish, and awful croissants. The coffee was decent, but honestly, that was all we could eat from breakfast. For the price that people are paying to stay there, don't insult people with subpar food. What would it take to pay a little more,and have fresh bagels and danish delivered daily from a decent bakery? Overall, I would stay at the Kelley House again if they ever changed management and improved their customer service, but until then, I am sure I can do a lot better for the price. Martha's Vineyard was amazing, and I plan to return again, soon, but I will look for a B and B or hotel that understands what good customer service is, and pays attention to the small touches that make a hotel stay memorable. It is a shame, because it really has tremendous potential. Btw- the Newes Pub, located on the property is a great little pub, good bar food, good customer service, and they make great drinks.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Wooster, Ohio
Reviewed 20 July 2010

After canceling a lease at a dumpy cottage, we found the Kelley House an absolutely perfect place for our family vacation. The rooms are very well done and spotlessly clean. The location could not have been any better with everything in Edgartown in easy walking distance. We still have two nights left. Thanks for a great stay so far.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Newport, Rhode Island
Reviewed 26 June 2010

We stayed at the Kelley House for two nights in late June 2010 and could not have been happier with the stay. The service, from the front desk personnel to the housekeepers were very polite and accommodating. The location of the Kelley House couldn't be better. It is literally in the middle of everything and a short walk to anything in Edgartown. The pool was great and the breakfast, while not gourmet by any means, was certainly adequate. We originally planned on staying one night but extended our stay due to the quality of the accomodations. The hotel did not have a room available at first, but they worked very hard to rearrange the bookings for us to allow us to stay in the same room. The staff even offered to store our stroller for us while we stayed in our room. Our third floor king room overlooked the pool and harbor and we found it spacious and clean. We were a bit worried by reading some of the reviews about service, cleanliness, and quality but found the Kelley House to be a great place to stay. Highly recommend.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
New Hampshire
Reviewed 13 June 2010

My husband and I just returned from a wonderfully, relaxful weekend on the Vineyard. My husband made reservations at the Kelley House and he hadn't read any reviews on the trip advisor website.
I had read the reviews after he had booked the rooms and I agree with most of them. The location is excellent, couldn't be better but the rooms are average at best, they reminded me of a Holiday Inn, and not an updated one. The carpet definately needs to be replaced and the lobby is rather drab. The breakfast was ok at best. I think the bagels must have come from the freezer. The milk and cookies served in the evening - well I've tasted much better store bought. With so many wonderful places to stay on the Island, I would not stay here again. Our next visit we will be staying at the Charlotte Inn.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Edgartown
Harbor View Hotel
The Christopher
The Christopher
#2 of 10 in Edgartown
Vineyard Square Hotel & Suites

Been to Kelley House? Share your experiences!