“Night Security Guard has serious Power Trip / Dilusional”
Review of Harborside Inn

Harborside Inn
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Edgartown
Boston, Massachusetts
“Night Security Guard has serious Power Trip / Dilusional”
Reviewed 14 July 2011

Read earlier review from 2004 for additional perspective from another person - this is the same guy and I have had issues with this same gentleman (I use the term lightly here) each of my three years staying at this Hotel (@$400+ night) and it seems to get worse each year. Also note that the GM's response in 2004 (albeit appreciated that there was an actual response) is bunk, since it is this same security guard and his warped sense of self-importance and condensing attitude toward those of us out having a good time that fills out the "security log" he referrers to. This guy thinks anyone out past dark enjoying a couple of cocktails is "trouble". This is Martha's Vineyard in July for pete’s sake.

Three years ago, one of my friends rode his bike slowly down the path to visit me at my room, there is a sign at the top that asks people to walk their bikes. This self-delusional jerk comes running after him literally yelling that he ignored his "orders" and he had the "power" to evict me, blah, blah, blah and actually got into my friends face because he did not immediately beg for his mercy (I am only slightly exaggerating here folks)....again for slowly riding a bike on the path...there are certainly better ways to handle this. In the end he admitted that he was mad because he "felt disrespected", I mean again, get over yourself.

Two years ago, the person with whom I was sharing my room had his key no longer work late at night (due to a hotel error not his). Apparently this guy had to come (from home)and let him in but not without huge attitude because my friend had a few drinks in him - this was vacation on Martha's Vineyard after all (this was told to me 2nd hand so I wasn't there but I believe my friend especially given my previous experience).

The final straw (I will NEVER stay here again) this year was when we were coming back into the hotel from Main Street after the bars closed and our man was not right on his post (where he should have been if he was so concerned) so my friend walked throught the open walkway. This guy started yelling at and chasing after my friend to come back as he was already quite a way down the walkway before this guy got back, I stated that he was with me and I had my key out to prove that we were guests (I understand this is necessary at the time to keep the randoms out), but that wasn't good enough for him because again, he felt disrespected that my friend kept walking. Once I showed my proof that I was staying there, his job there was over, again, get over yourself. You don't need to make "your point" and I certainly don't have to listen to it. He actually told me to stop yelling at him when I was clearly just talking to him (which he admitted) after I said what yelling I am trying to have a conversation.

It is too bad because the grounds are beautiful and all other staff members that I dealt with were great and seemed to understand that they were working in a customer service business.

Like I said this was the final straw, I will never stay here again and come to the Vineyard every year (lived there for 8 summers and a couple of falls). A lot of people ask me about places to stay and eat on the Vineyard and I was always a big supporter of the Harborside (even after the year 1 & 2 crap) but no more.

Ruined a great place for me (an others from the sounds of some of the reviews) but I guess would be fine if you plan on being tucked into bed by 9.

I will echo that this resort is owner-centric (and many of the owners make sure you know they are owners) but I have no issue with that as the amenities provided for owners only are not advertised as for use by the guests.

Again, it’s a shame that one guy can shed such a poor light on this place.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
9 Thank longtimevineyarder

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Albany, NY
Reviewed 24 June 2011

My husband and I stayed here for 6 days in May. The rooms were clean with exceptional maid service. The grounds and pool area are meticulously cared for. We enoyed exploring the island. One of my favorite stops is the Chillmark Chocolate factory. My husband caught a 31" striper off the jetty in Menemsha. The clam chowder there is amazing. Edgartown is a great town for bikes. The cooking facilities at this resort are top notch. We will definitely return.

Room Tip: Get a balcony or Harborview
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank beachcomber2012
Manahawkin, New Jersey
Reviewed 31 October 2010

This was a Bidding for Good Auction purchase of a timeshare for one week. My husband and I wanted to see Martha's Vineyard again after a 36 year time period. This was a lucky buy and served our purposes of a base to sight see and go down memory lane. The motel room type unit housed in a converted classic Edgartown house was attractively decorated, comfortable, well furnished but right on Water St. The units have a refrigerator and adequate storage for a weeks stay. We stayed only 3 nights although we were entitled to a week, not a reflection on the hotel, but an indication of the time we wanted to spend touring the island again. It was quiet off season despite being on one the main streets. The Inn offers a heated pool, and inside hot tub, and kitchens for the use of the timeshare owners and their renters/guests. I did use the hot tub but the pool was covered primarily due to the weather I think. It is a heated pool and I was told it was open but it was not. There is a large lounge and deck overlooking the harbor, and a large well furnished room with game tables, and computer free to guests. The gardens were still lovely, and the Inn is beautifully decorated.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CarlanneNewJersey
Oregon
Reviewed 17 October 2010

This is primarily a timeshare, although I understand some use it as a hotel. We were RCI exchange guests, and as such (and this is the norm when you exchange your "home" timeshare with another one), we had a very small room compared with the actual "owners." (see photo). But it was very clean, comfortable, and well maintained. As it turned out, we spent less time in our room here than at any other timeshare we've been to. The reason we liked this place so well was because of the communal kitchen/dining area. There are approx 6 complete kitchens and maybe 15 or so refrigerators. It was thoroughly cleaned daily by the resort staff. The people who had that timeshare week (week 39) were absolutely the nicest people you could ask for. We got to know several that we still keep in touch with. The venue is perfect, right on the harbor and in the very midst of all the shopping and restaurants, and not far, within walking distance, of the bus stop where you can catch the VTA buses to every other town on the island (we left our car in Cape Cod due to the expensive ferry fee to bring it over). The Inn's staff was very helpful, particularly Mike, who often works the evening shift. There is a hair dryer, iron & ironing board, and flat screen TV in each room. You can get a DVD player from the desk staff at no charge. October is a wonderful month to visit: no crowds, although a few shops were closed, and no ferry from MV to Nantucket.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank teresafahey
Boston
Reviewed 30 September 2010

Hotel is in Prime location..Marthas Vinyard is a beautiful place- everything is in its perfect place- as is this hotel-
I stayed in a suite- I can not believe for the life of me why this hotel looks so dated and old inside- The sheets literally feel like cardboard and like sharp twigs against your skin.
Carpet was stained..and the pillows just felt dirty
The bell boy- who seemed to be some sort of "exchange worker" was incredibly rude- he stared at us when we checked in and were getting our bags out of the car- and never asked us for help.
on our way back after dropping off our bags we asked him directions to where to go to park our car... he turned around said something..mumbled..and rolled his eyes.. Not a nice way to great a customer my friend..
Next time we go we will be staying at the HarborView.. it is on a totally different level

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank MAtoJamaica
Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Reviewed 3 August 2010

The harborside is in a great location, so convenient to everything Edgartown has to offer,and as we arrived by boat, were very happy to be able to tie-up right at their private dock in front of the hotel. Great views of the harbor and all the boat traffic, and a pretty pool surrounded by perennial gardens are the view form the rooms. The rooms could definetely use some updating - I expected something islandy in feel, but while the front exterior were several old sea captains homes, the interior was very generic and could have been Anywhere USA. There were some time-sharing families there who made good use of the common kitchen facilities, but Edgartown has great dining and we some delicious dinners

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 28 July 2010

I recently spent 4 days at the Harborside Inn with my husband and 2 year old daughter. We stayed in the Ripley House on the top floor and had a center balcony room. This hotel is quite expensive - around $450 a night for a room with a King bed. That being said, it really is worth it, especially for a first time visitor wanting to get a true feel of Edgartown. This location is in the hart of everything. I thought the room was very clean, the view was amazing and I would definitely recommend this hotel to a friend. It would be difficult to stay in this room for an entire week, especially with a small child, as there is no kitchen area. The room came equipped with a small refrigerator but that may not be enough for an extended stay. These rooms are time shares and the owners of the timeshares have kitchens in a large common area within the hotel. Unless you are an owner or renting from an owner, you are not permitted to use these amenities, which is understandable. At one point, I looked at a unit being rented from an owner through vrbo and use of the common area kitchens, refrigerators, etc., was included. Having that option would be nice for a longer stay.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
4 Thank TXTRVLLVR
Also consider these accommodations in or near Edgartown
Harbor View Hotel
#1 of 3 in Oak Bluffs
The Christopher
The Christopher
#2 of 10 in Edgartown

Been to Harborside Inn? Share your experiences!