“Beautiful location, but that is the end of positives”
Review of Harborside Inn

Harborside Inn
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Edgartown
Reviewed 12 October 2013

The hotel is located right at the heart of Edgartown overlooking the harbor. The rooms are clean. You expect to pay a premium for location but for the quality and service this was crazy. The decor looks like a 1970s Holiday Inn. The bed and pillow level of quality and comfort wouldn't have passed at a Red Roof Inn or La Quintas, I am serious. The staff was distracted and unhelpful. When we asked where to eat they handed us a Chamber of Commerce pamphlet and went back to chatting about their romantic relationships. A small upgrade in basic bed/furniture quality and a slight interest in the customer would make a huge difference (the place was almost deserted so they weren't overwhelmed). Just a little care and attention would make the value and experience a positive rather than a feeling like you have been scammed.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Batch B

Reviewed 4 September 2013

Location was really wonderful, right in the thick of Edgartown, so you can walk every where and also have easy access to the bike trail to Oak Bluffs. Rooms are certainly dated and in need of a renovation for the prices they charge. But in all, it was fine for a last minute booking. Kids love the pool, which was the ultimate draw.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank MABlissful
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I have been staying at the Harborside for over 25 years. The location on the harbor is perfect. It is also on the quiet side of Water Street (South). The rooms are always clean and well appointed. This place is very quiet with the exception of the noise coming from the Atlantic Restaurant next door. The pool and courtyard we clean and well-kept at all times. The courtyard offers outdoor grilling. For the best room, choose one with a deck or patio facing the harbor. Suite 510 has a king sized bed, fridge, and a fabulous patio right on the harbor's edge. The staff here is always friendly, accommodating, and knowledgeable.

Room Tip: Try to get either room 501 or 509 for the best views.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 August 2013

This hotel exceeded our expectations based on their website. The rooms were comfortable and clean and the staff was very helpful. The perfect location was a plus. Our room had a balcony with a great view of the harbor. We highly recommend this hotel and can't wait to visit again!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Beautiful spot right on the harbor, ferry comes right there to dock within walking distance. Nice room SPOTLESS! Bathroom one of the cleanest I've seen. Easy check in and check out, helpful at all times. Do request a room not on the Main St because it can be very noisy and on the weekend when it is pub crawl it IS noisy, but right there in the heart of the shopping zone!

Room Tip: ask where your room is located, they are NOT afraid to tell you that you will be on the busy street...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank 35yearsBraintree
Reviewed 9 August 2013

Spur of the moment trip to MV and spent one night here recently. There are several charming federal period homes which house the hotel rooms. Our room was clean, bright, nicely decorated except for the cheap, rough blankets on the bed. Little on the small side but the view overlooking the harbor from the balcony was beautiful. Can't beat the location! Walked to everything and the best part was the bus stop which is only 2 blocks away and the buses can take you anywhere on the island. The South beach was a 10 minute, $1.00 ride!
Coffee in the lobby and a nice veranda to sit on and a comfortable sitting area. The front desk staff were friendly, courteous and extremely helpful. We did feel left out of the kitchen dining area and salivated as we walked by while they were inside eating steak, corn on the cob, etc.
Gas grills were in courtyard but not sure if they're available to non time sharing guests.
My biggest complaint was the price but we were desperate. Expensive and can't say it was worth paying close to $400. for the room. Even though it was pricey, would stay here again in this building the (Milton building) but would curtail the numbers of night spent here because of the price. Would recommend that you not go in the building adjacent to the Atlantic restaurant as their kitchen exhaust vents were going all night.

Room Tip: Milton building or one of the federal buildings along the main street. Avoid building close to Atla...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank sunnydays503
Reviewed 8 August 2013

This "hotel" (really a timeshare resort) is in a great spot with a wonderful view of the harbor and less that one block to downtown Edgartown. Lots of however qualifiers...I should have seen the red flag go up when I called the hotel for a last minute reservation for the 4th of July weekend, asked if they would hold a room for me for an hour while I tried to work out car/ferry reservations, they said they would, I called back 1/2 hour later, and the person who then answered said they didn't have any knowledge of my previous call and hadn't held any room, and the only room available was significantly more $$ than I had been told previously. (and accused me of mixing up their hotel with another close by, the Harborview, which I didn't, having checked my phone log) When I finally booked our reservation, I requested a cot in our room, when I checked in I was told the cot was there but fire code was that only two people could be in the room. This information would have been helpful to set my expectations when I asked for the cot...When we saw the room it was evident why the fire code was such--there was barely space to pass from one side of the room to the other. Management is invisible or seems to want to be--fairly simple questions were met with "I'll check with my manager", and then you'd overhear the conversation between "manager" and desk personnel taking place a few feet away--awkward. An angry disagreement between a hotel guest and a front desk person escalated in front of all without being facilitated or moved to privacy--just all bad form.
Access to the nicer parts of the property are restricted to "owners", which I assume means timeshare owners, which was never made clear really, but the doors to lounge areas and food prep areas are all on key locks. When we returned from the wonderful 4th parade, we headed out to the back lawn to watch the fireworks--and were body blocked by a bellman, who had held a door open for us earlier in the day with a friendly and familiar hello- who now looked like he was taking us into custody. My husband showed him his room key and he let us through, but it sure felt "icky". We decided to cut our trip short, asked to check out a day early, and of course, when we requested that they refund our last night's payment, the manager behind the curtain via his desk clerk, said he could only do it if he could rebook the room and we never heard from him again...

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank andoversre
Also consider these accommodations in or near Edgartown
Harbor View Hotel
#3 of 3 in Oak Bluffs
Nashua House Hotel
Nashua House Hotel
#2 of 3 in Oak Bluffs

Been to Harborside Inn? Share your experiences!