“Breakfast with the Dead”
Review of The Edgartown Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Edgartown
The Edgartown Inn
Ranked #5 of 10 Edgartown B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 June 2013

I've been a longstanding island visitor since I was a child. Even these days, I try to make it out the Vineyard yearly, during the Spring or Summer. While I do stay on the Island & most commonly in Edgartown, I have yet to visit the Edgartown Inn.

On a recent trip, my wife & I stopped by for breakfast at the historic location. Prior to our selection, we had read numerous glowing reviews & decided to venture into new territory. What we found was very disappointing.

Patrons are presented with three options, which consist of a basic egg breakfast, pancake or waffle offering, or the continental breakfast. The latter ran $7.00, but the other two were $12.00 each. Of course, these included coffee & juice, side of meat, & coffee cake. We both opted for the pancake breakfast, as blueberries were in season. All in all, we were treated with a full breakfast compliment, but the quality was well below subpar.

The coffee was not drinkable. I would speculate that the coffee had been sitting for sometime on a burner. Adding a touch of cream did not help either as the cream curdled & could not be stirred into the coffee, even after numerous attempts. The coffee cake appeared to be a lessor quality store bought variety that provided little effect to the overall experience. My wife passed on the included juice & I stuck with the basic OJ. Of course, the juice also appeared to be store bought & watered down ta'boot. Lastly, the pancake & side of bacon appeared from the crapped apartment size kitchen on small side dish sized plate. The pancakes were acceptable, but small. I was thankful for the small portion as I was immensely disappointed by the aged darkened margin that adorned the the table. A request for butter did not yield a reprieve as the waitress informed us that they did not have any butter. Needless to say we ate very little & made our way to a much better establishment for a well deserved lunch.

Aside from the breakfast horror story, the atmosphere & staff was reminiscent of the Bates Motel meets Arsenic & Old Lace. I feel lucky to have lived through this ordeal, but would have been happier to have never experienced it.

In closing, if tasteless & disappointing is your cup of tea, then stop by, as the coffee is still sitting on the warmer, patently awaiting you arrival.

PS. They only except cash in return for this massive disappointment.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Scott L

Reviewed 8 June 2013 via mobile

great location and good value. Better than staying in one of the larger hotels. only issue was the window air conditioning unit not really cooling the room all that much. I also wish breakfast was included for hotel guests so you would get more of a "bed and breakfast" feel (even if room rate goes up). front porch is lovely and the location is perfect. staff was friendly

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank sunnytravels123
Reviewed 1 April 2013

First of all, I've stayed at the Inn for roughly 15 years in a row (a week at a time). I've also stayed in the room that has been so inordinately panned by a few critics.
The room in question, (The Maple Room) is not musty or dusty in any way, shape, or form. It is a well kept, well ventilated, air conditioned (should you so choose), small, but cozy room. The smell that has one critic so enraged, is that of bacon, eggs, and coffee. Truly a wonderful way to start my morning. And it tastes great too!
Add to that the daily coffee cake special and a wide and genuine smile from the hostess and servers and I'm off to have a fantastic day on the island.
The porch at the front of the Inn may well be my favorite spot anywhere. The warm sun in the morning starts the day right. And after a day of walking around the town (or the island), the porch provides a place for sharing a bottle of wine and relaxing after a great day.
The Inn is located in the quiet part of Edgartown, next to the library, near the Chappy ferry, and just down the road from the Lighthouse beach. All are a short walking distance from the Inn.
A great value, a great staff, a great location.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bert C
Reviewed 12 October 2012

We stayed at the Inn for a wedding on the Vineyard and after trying many inns without success, was able to book the last room here. Not expecting much but realizing we would spend very little time at the inn, we were pleasantly surprised with the accommodations. The room was small as we were told when we booked, but roomy enough for a chair in which to read and adequate light and dresser space. The innkeeper was friendly and accommodating and breakfast, which was not included was adequate. We were able to eat in the garden and enjoyed a glorious day. The location is perfect for wandering downtown Edgartown and eating at the many good restaurants overlooking the water.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 September 2012

We spent a perfect two days here and found the staff, the room and the common spaces really lovely. We had a top floor room with a balcony and view of the bay, had breakfast in the garden one morning and enjoyed sitting on the comfy front porch watching people go by. Highly recommend this place, it feels quintessentially vineyard!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 September 2012

Having worked here in the 70s, I can attest to the fact that not much has changed. It is a little like an attractive, homey antique shop full of old world charm and perhaps one or two items that have a chip or a crack. The rooms and bathrooms suggest an earlier, simpler time. If you don't appreciate such things, perhaps the inn is not for you. We loved it. Rooms do not have TVs or phones. WiFi is available on the Edgartown library side of the building - it's the library's WiFi. You could also sit on the library benches or go in the library if you need WiFi. The front porch is comfortable and attractive and you can watch the world go by. The stunning harbor is visible, framed by red geranium flower boxes and historic homes. You're right in the center of town, convenient to everything. Rates are lower than most other places in Edgartown and the staff is very friendly. The famous breakfast is not included and also served to the public. If I had one complaint it is that coffee is not offered/complimentary for guests. Murdick's is a short stroll and they have good coffee.

Room Tip: Some street/delivery noise in the mornings on the front, but who wants to sleep their life away whil...