“Great room:Mediocre service”
Review of The Edgartown Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Edgartown
The Edgartown Inn
Ranked #6 of 10 Edgartown B&B and Inns
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great room:Mediocre service”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

My friend and i stayed here this weekend and had a mixed experience. We were on the top floor in the kings room and it was charming with a nice love seat to sit on and a very large window that overlooked the street but also had a tiny view of the ocean.
We found the inn keeper a little snooty and got a lecture on closing the front door when we checked in. The inn is in a great location, right down town and very close to all the shops and restaurants.
The weather wasn't that great so we spent more time than we would have expected in our bedroom which apparently disrupted the cleaning lady's schedule. she knocked at our door at around 12.30 and when we told her we would be staying in for a while, she told us to hurry up as she would be leaving at around 1! The next day she came knocking on our door again to let us know she needed to clean our room. I have never experienced this type of service in an inn before and travel a lot.
It has a great porch.
Also, it would be really nice to be able to get at least a free cup of coffee in the morning.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Paris, France
Reviewed 21 August 2013

Charming inn in the lovely town of Edgartown, very well located,convenient for local buses all around the island, great service, just one thing we could at least get a free coffee cup!
breakfast, though not included, is extremely good, fresh baked cakes from the day.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ricmag
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 8 July 2013

First of all, I want to say "thank you" to all of you who reviewed this hotel, the reviews had pertinent information for me. I stayed in the General Charles Sumner room; good size, had its own large bathroom, bed was firm but I like that; hotel beds are notoriously soft and lumpy! A/c unit worked great, tho I overhead another guest was having problems with their unit, which the staff was handling promptly. I think the price for this room ($175) was a bit high, esp. as it did not include breakfast or coffee!!! We did not have breakfast there at all; went to a great diner on Dock road instead. This hotel does smell like bacon all the time; I guess they cook it the day before?? They do supply umbrellas and beach towels; other amenties are limited and tiny; there is an ice machine and resident fridge in the basement; watch your step!!! Porch is lovely; smokers (tho not pipe or cigar, pity, they usually smell pretty good) are welcome; however the "harbor view" is getting very overgown with trees across the street so not much of a view. Staff is very friendly and helpful; good job cleaning, very nice hotel decor with lots of interesting historic/aged photographs and July 4th flags/decorations. NOTE: No TV's, phones, hair dryers, or alarm clocks in rooms!!! One TV is in the...front parlor, very nice room open to all. Note: Our room was on the first floor, side of hotel, however, you may want to bring earplugs, a bit of noise from folks out late having a good time; btw, if you love to people watch the front porch is the place for you, lots of foot traffic and cars getting on the Chappa ferry. Edgartown is very beautiful, lots of perfectly maintained lawns and hydrageas are everywhere!!!! Also, bring lots of extra money, dining, etc is pretty pricey. And, weirdly enough to me, this hotel does NOT accept credit cards!!! Lastly, everyone, and I mean everyone! in Edgartown was very nice and friendly; quite the live and let live ambience, lots of people with dogs and/or kids or both, a nice change for this jaded Bostonian! Oh, and the ocean breezes are fantastic, about 15 degrees cooler than Boston, go go go if you can afford it!

Room Tip: See above; read other reviews; ask when you call to book.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank barbara2020
Colorado, United States
Reviewed 13 June 2013

I've been a longstanding island visitor since I was a child. Even these days, I try to make it out the Vineyard yearly, during the Spring or Summer. While I do stay on the Island & most commonly in Edgartown, I have yet to visit the Edgartown Inn.

On a recent trip, my wife & I stopped by for breakfast at the historic location. Prior to our selection, we had read numerous glowing reviews & decided to venture into new territory. What we found was very disappointing.

Patrons are presented with three options, which consist of a basic egg breakfast, pancake or waffle offering, or the continental breakfast. The latter ran $7.00, but the other two were $12.00 each. Of course, these included coffee & juice, side of meat, & coffee cake. We both opted for the pancake breakfast, as blueberries were in season. All in all, we were treated with a full breakfast compliment, but the quality was well below subpar.

The coffee was not drinkable. I would speculate that the coffee had been sitting for sometime on a burner. Adding a touch of cream did not help either as the cream curdled & could not be stirred into the coffee, even after numerous attempts. The coffee cake appeared to be a lessor quality store bought variety that provided little effect to the overall experience. My wife passed on the included juice & I stuck with the basic OJ. Of course, the juice also appeared to be store bought & watered down ta'boot. Lastly, the pancake & side of bacon appeared from the crapped apartment size kitchen on small side dish sized plate. The pancakes were acceptable, but small. I was thankful for the small portion as I was immensely disappointed by the aged darkened margin that adorned the the table. A request for butter did not yield a reprieve as the waitress informed us that they did not have any butter. Needless to say we ate very little & made our way to a much better establishment for a well deserved lunch.

Aside from the breakfast horror story, the atmosphere & staff was reminiscent of the Bates Motel meets Arsenic & Old Lace. I feel lucky to have lived through this ordeal, but would have been happier to have never experienced it.

In closing, if tasteless & disappointing is your cup of tea, then stop by, as the coffee is still sitting on the warmer, patently awaiting you arrival.

PS. They only except cash in return for this massive disappointment.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Scott L
CT
Reviewed 8 June 2013 via mobile

great location and good value. Better than staying in one of the larger hotels. only issue was the window air conditioning unit not really cooling the room all that much. I also wish breakfast was included for hotel guests so you would get more of a "bed and breakfast" feel (even if room rate goes up). front porch is lovely and the location is perfect. staff was friendly

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank sunnytravels123
Waterford, Connecticut
Reviewed 1 April 2013

First of all, I've stayed at the Inn for roughly 15 years in a row (a week at a time). I've also stayed in the room that has been so inordinately panned by a few critics.
The room in question, (The Maple Room) is not musty or dusty in any way, shape, or form. It is a well kept, well ventilated, air conditioned (should you so choose), small, but cozy room. The smell that has one critic so enraged, is that of bacon, eggs, and coffee. Truly a wonderful way to start my morning. And it tastes great too!
Add to that the daily coffee cake special and a wide and genuine smile from the hostess and servers and I'm off to have a fantastic day on the island.
The porch at the front of the Inn may well be my favorite spot anywhere. The warm sun in the morning starts the day right. And after a day of walking around the town (or the island), the porch provides a place for sharing a bottle of wine and relaxing after a great day.
The Inn is located in the quiet part of Edgartown, next to the library, near the Chappy ferry, and just down the road from the Lighthouse beach. All are a short walking distance from the Inn.
A great value, a great staff, a great location.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bert C
Worcester, Massachusetts
Reviewed 12 October 2012

We stayed at the Inn for a wedding on the Vineyard and after trying many inns without success, was able to book the last room here. Not expecting much but realizing we would spend very little time at the inn, we were pleasantly surprised with the accommodations. The room was small as we were told when we booked, but roomy enough for a chair in which to read and adequate light and dresser space. The innkeeper was friendly and accommodating and breakfast, which was not included was adequate. We were able to eat in the garden and enjoyed a glorious day. The location is perfect for wandering downtown Edgartown and eating at the many good restaurants overlooking the water.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Edgartown
Harbor View Hotel
Kelley House
Kelley House
#8 of 10 in Edgartown
Vineyard Square Hotel & Suites

Been to The Edgartown Inn? Share your experiences!