“Beyond my expectations! Absolutely beautiful, incredible customer service.”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Edgartown
Winnetu Oceanside Resort
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Edgartown
Ocala
“Beyond my expectations! Absolutely beautiful, incredible customer service.”
Reviewed 27 July 2010

The room (2 bedroom, 2 bath suite) was spotless and beautiful. The little porch on the back with the incredible view was a bonus! All the staff was exceptional, helpful, friendly and accomodating. Would stay again and recommend to anyone visiting the area. Perfect for that romantic couple or a family with children!!

• Stayed June 2010

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
Lyndonville, Vermont
Reviewed 23 July 2010

My stay at the Winnetu was fantastic! The service I received from the staff while I was there wasvery accomadating and friendly. The room was spacious,beautiful, and had a gorgeous view of the ocean with a balcony to sit and enjoy it. It was very relaxing! The food at the "Lure" was great! I had a scallop dish and it was fantastic! Tyler, the floor manager was very accomodating, making sure that I had everything that I needed and wanted. He is a very polite young man,and very proffessional.The location of the resort is private and the staff is nice and friendly. I enjoyed the spa and the massage I received was relaxing and would go again. I will certainly return!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
New York
Reviewed 21 July 2010

As a traveler who thoroughly does her research and considers herself armed with both praises and critique from other travelers I must say I was still disappointed with my stay at the Winnetu. My general recommendation is to stay ONLY if you have children; if not you'll most likely appreciate the lovely nearby bed & breakfasts over the Winnetu.

CONS -

- The front desk is pretty much useless. During check-in the guest in front of me was making legitimate complaints and the attendant at the front desk shrugged, smiled and said "Sorry." This sort of behavior continued throughout the wknd. Expect to be shuffled around when you need a question answered. When we tried to order dinner at The General Store we were told to ask the front desk to help us. Yet another attendant at the front desk told us to please not ask her since she didn't know the answer. I called the Concierge for bike rentals and was asked to call the front desk instead. I was shocked that a resort with such a reputation employed a staff that literally had no idea what was going on. In fact, when I originally booked our stay I didn't receive a confirmation email but instead received an email saying my reservations had been CANCELLED. Three phone calls and two weeks later the problem was finally resolved. A huge hassle, of course.

- At $350+ a night (for a studio room) you're not getting much. Note to families: THE BED IS A QUEEN. So if you have a young child who requires a crib you will need to rent a crib FOR $80. We were very upset to be greeted by a queen sized bed (I admit this is my error; I assumed we were getting a King-sized bed and overlooked the literature on the website). I was so upset that I called the front desk to be moved. A manager showed up to put out the fire but basically all she did was remind me of the literature on their website and tell me repeatedly that I was mistaken and there was nothing she could do. No first-class service here.

Please also note that contrary to what the website dictates not all rooms have a view. Our view was that of a motel - the only window we had that let in natural light exposed ourselves to every guest walking by and looked out onto the parking lot. No, thanks. With the shades pulled down our room was incredibly dark and somewhat dingy. The facilities are clean but very minimal, please don't expect anything luxurious here.

- The website boasts two pools but really there is only one for the Winnetu property (you would never bother walking the distance to the second pool which is with the Mattakesett homes. On the plus side, the pool was relatively quiet (except for a few afternoon hours) since the beach is nearby. But don't expect to have easy access to TWO pools, only one.

- Since there is no room service if you want food to go you go to The General STore. The food at the General Store is not for those with any sort of gourmet palate. The breakfast was passable but the pizzas we ordered ($20+ per pizza) was cheese-less (yes, cheese-LESS) and resembled cardboard. We weren't expecting anything to write home about and yet were still shocked at the caliber of food served here. On the plus side, the ice cream wasn't half bad. Just please don't order pizza here.

- We purchased the VIP ferry tickets from Falmouth via The Island Queen. On the way to the Winnetu we thought this was a good value. As soon as we arrived at Oak Bluffs our kind driver was there waiting with the shuttle. We did hear him have a conversation with his manager back at the Winnetu about how he had just dropped off a family who missed their ferry. We didn't think anything of it until the day of our check-out when we realized the Winnetu shuttle would NEVER get us to our ferry on time. This was upsetting as we had already paid for the Winnetu shuttle both ways. Instead, we had to order our own cab to make it to the ferry on time...another $30 expense.

- Finally, a big CON for me but perhaps not for others. With the toddlers napping the moms decided they would like to have an afternoon cocktail. There is none to be had at the Winnetu. No bar was open until dinnertime. What's a vacation without an afternoon cocktail?

PROS -
- The grounds are impeccably kept and very beautiful.
- The Winnetu requires "Quiet Hours" starting at 9pm. We did find that the hallways were quiet which was a pleasant surprise considering the amount of young children at the resort.
- The Lure Grill offers an area for children to play (toys, flat-screen TV playing cartoons, chalkboard easel, etc.) and a lovely "sitter' to watch the children so adults can enjoy their meal. A BIG plus.
- The General Store had an abundance of cute beach toys for the kids. The little ones loved going in there to explore.
- Although previous reviewers have complained about the "long" path to the beach we found it to be lovely, quaint and really a very manageable distance. The beach is absolutely beautiful and worth the small trek.
- Although our children were too young to participate we did pass some of the older kids at camp; they seemed to be having a ball.
- We took the shuttle service from Edgartown to the Winnetu one night and it was reliable and a big perk.

3 Thank hst601
Tallahassee, Florida, USA
Reviewed 19 July 2010

Great locale for a family vacation to Martha's Vineyard. A family of five with tween age children, the Winnetu offered something for all of us. The grounds are outstanding with open fields for throwing a ball to the human size chess court to the fuse ball tables or ping pong there is something for everyone! The pool and beach are wonderful as well. However, I think it is the service that brings it all together. From the owners to managers to servers, everyone was friendly and accommodating. And, the concierge was helpful and gave very beneficial advice. The on-site restaurants and general store are perfect and not budget breaking. We enjoyed it and will return next year!

New Jersey
Reviewed 19 July 2010

Without a doubt, this hotel has a fabulous location on Martha's Vineyard. However, the ridiculously early check-out time of 10:00 a.m., significantly hinders full enjoyment of the resort. My flight home from the Vineyard was not until 6:00 p.m., and I requested and hoped for an even slightly later check-out. Not only was the resort unable to make any accommodation, but the hotel maids were knocking on the door by 9:30 a.m. asking to clean.

Lexington, Massachusetts
Reviewed 12 July 2010

The Winnetu Oceanside Resort combines sophistocation with Norman Rockwell charm. Families with young children experience the joy of freedom with safety. People of all ages can explore the Vineyard and come 'home' to the Winnetu at the end of the day. I HIGHLY recommend a week or two at the Winnetu

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Mamaroneck, New York
Reviewed 8 July 2010

Just returned from a long weekend at the Winnetu, our first trip there, and am already trying to find a fall weekend to return. The hotel grounds are beautiful, beach access was superb, and bike paths were close enough to the hotel to make us happy we decided to bring our bikes. We were there on what was probably the busiest weekend of the summer - July 4, so we had some unanticipated noise from the guests who had small children accompanying them and the shuttles into town were unusually crowded. Our shuttle drivers made up for that aggravation, offering us restaurant advice and returning to pick us up in Edgartown even though we knew they were supposed to be off duty at that point. Can't wait to get back there.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Edgartown
Mansion House
Pequot Hotel
#1 of 3 in Oak Bluffs
Clarion Inn Martha's Vineyard
Vineyard Square Hotel & Suites

Been to Winnetu Oceanside Resort? Share your experiences!