“Wonderful, romantic atmosphere and good food”

The Terrace at The Charlotte Inn
Reserve with OpenTable
The Terrace at The Charlotte Inn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 69 Restaurants in Edgartown
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Main Street
Transit: MVTA Church Street / Downtown Edgartown
Reviewed 8 September 2013

We went to the Terrace to celebrate our wedding anniversary. I had asked for a special "romantic table" and was not disappointed. The inn is charming and so is the restaurant, with an attentive staff, fresh flowers on the table, and an atmosphere very conducive to a romantic dinner. We are also appreciative of the dress code! Anyway, I had the swordfish filet and my husband had the scallops, and we both enjoyed our dinners very much. We also ordered the chef's appetizer plate, which was delicious. It was a special night out and we were glad we found it.

Reviewed 8 September 2013

Overlooking the gardens at the charming Charlotte Inn, The Terrace is a wonderful setting for a great meal. The menu has an imaginative selection of local flavors with artisanal ingredients. Our selections were prepared exactly as ordered and were simply delicious. We look forward to our next evening at The Terrace.

Reviewed 8 September 2013

First off, this is a nice place. Beautifully decorated and nice surroundings. They do take themselves a bit seriously, especially for an island/vacation setting however. We went to several high-end restaurants in town during our stay - Détente, L'etoile, Atria - and The Terrace was the only one that requires men to wear a jacket.

When given the drink menu, I couldn't help but notice that there were prices listed for the glasses of wine but not for the "Vintage drinks." I asked the waitress why and she acted a bit annoyed and shrugged and said they all ran "$12 to $15 each." It just happened that both of our selections ran $15 each.

For entrees we each picked a special. I picked the veal chop and my wife chose the halibut. I asked if the veal chop could be blackened and was told no. (This request had been accommodated before at other places, but ok....) Prices were not disclosed when the specials were read to us but I didn't want to make a fuss again and annoy the waitress, (My mistake.)

The meals and service were satisfactory - no problem there. The problem came with the check.
Normally the prices for specials are roughly in line with comparable menu items. My veal chop was $59!! Other steak items were listed as $42 and $45, making the chop 25% more. Similar story with my wife's halibut.

I would not have chosen the veal chop at that price. And admittedly it was my mistake for not insisting on knowing the price beforehand. But at the same time, it felt like a bait and switch and left a bad taste in my mouth.
I would not return to this restaurant, but enjoyed the others I mentioned, especially Atria and Détente.

1  Thank Ken O
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We had visited the art gallery at the Inn in the afternoon and we decided to return for dinner. The elegant atmosphere enhanced the dining experience. We asked our server if we could have raw oysters rather than the cooked ones on the menu. She asked the chef and he said yes. He even created a special lemon mignonette sauce to accompany them. The scallops were perfectly baked. The portions are very large which really surprised us in a restaurant of this style. Dessert was absolutely amazing - the caramel dark chocolate ganache pie. We couldn't believe how inexpensive the meal was compared to similar restaurants in Canada. Dress code is in place which is nice to see. We would definitely return on a future visit.

Reviewed 1 September 2013

Food is outstanding, and everything from dining room to bathroom exudes old school charm.

When making a reservation, they will grill you on whether children will be coming (discouraged) and inform you of the dress code (jackets preferred, button down shirt tolerated, polo shirt results in being offered a jacket). The wine list was reasonable, and wine and food pairings offered.

Bring a high limit credit card because it can get costly but still less expensive than l'etoile.