“Traditional Martha's Vineyard” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Square-Rigger Restaurant

Square-Rigger Restaurant
Ranked #26 of 67 Restaurants in Edgartown
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Kids, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Monroe, New York
“Traditional Martha's Vineyard”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

This was our third year vacationing on MV, our first night we decided to give this place a try as previously we enjoyed their take out. I can relate to some of what the other reviews might have found inadequate BUT my overall opinion is the place is very good and the people are extremely gracious, hospitable and friendly. You can not train a service team to perform in the manner we were served, you have to select your team and blend them together and I will say someone does an excellent job at selecting the team. Our server made us so comfortable that we asked for a photo of us and turned out to be our best photo of the vacation.

The food was not inexpensive, it is pretty standard within any of the restaurants on the island. They offer a wide selection of items but being so close to the ocean and our first night, we obviously ordered seafood. We had soups and salads. They have a very good chowder here. I had the Lobster Newburg - a dish common in the 1970's rarely seen on a menu these days. It was served encroat and steaming as it arrived. I have not had Lobster Newburg in many years and it was quite tasty. I had the Rice and Corn on the Cob as sides which were portioned appropriately given the size of my entree.

The decor is definitely nautical and actually later found out that this building in its' previous life was some sea captians house ... not featured in the restaurant but in some other MV publication I read during holiday. Maybe we were seated in the right place or something but I enjoyed our table, its' view and usually if a place is busy it bugs me ... this place was busy but it really did not disturb my enjoyment of the moment and the meal.

Hats Off to these folks, great food, great people and we will be back next year!

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank callme

Little Falls, New Jersey
“Sadly disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

We just returned from dinner and I must say that we were very disappointed in the food quality. The place was packed but I don't understand why. I ordered the prime rib which was a special this evening. Somehow medium rare was translated to raw. I sent the dinner back to be cooked a little more.When the dinner was returned, two- thirds were edible but the last third was still raw. Go figure. The small salad was ho hum with mostly lettuce and a few croutons. The clincher, though, was the vegetable side dish. Corn-on-the-cob was the vegetable of the evening. If you wanted the alternate vegetable which was offered, there was an additional charge of $3.00! This evening, the alternative vegetable was broccoli. I have to tell you that the portion was miniscule. To charge $3.00 for this just didn't sit well with us. My husband had broiled cod which he said was ok but nothing great. This place is not cheap and is definitely not worth it. We will not go back nor recommend it.

• Visited September 2013
Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts
“Marginal Take-Out”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013 via mobile

We stopped here for a quick fish sandwich, fries and drinks on a rainy afternoon to take out rather than wait for a table inside. We had our orders taken quickly, and we only had to wait 10 minutes for our fries and fish sandwiches.

We got into the car and started in on our lunch, but besides excellent fries and cold drinks, were totally underwhelmed with the fish sandwich.

The fish was baked cod on a large hamburger bun, wit lettuce, tomato and an over abundance of mayo / sauce. It was very wet, sloppy and virtually tasteless sandwich. Not the best value for $27. Will probably not go back. The Newes, and Net Result have comparably priced sandwiches that are 10/10.

• Visited August 2013
Edina, MN
“Nice place...above average”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2013 via mobile

I kid my in laws that they eat at this place so often they should get a meal plan. The place has a real Vineyard feel. Not overwhelmed by eating there but you won't be disappointed.

• Visited July 2013
“Needs Improvement”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2013 via mobile

My husband and I dined at Square Rigger. The waitress was nice, the food needed help. I ordered the surf and turf. The shrimp was great, but my filet mingon fell sadly short. It was not cooked correctly, I asked for medium well, and it was literally burned to a crisp and tasted terrible. I had trouble eating it. I like the decor, especially the nautical tables, and we both really liked the history of the restaurant, including tales of ghostly happenings, told to us by our waitress. Overall, for the price, they should pay more attention to their food.

• Visited June 2013