“Racist vs Sexist vs Classist, unclear, but definitely one or a mix of them”
Review of The Charlotte Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Edgartown
The Charlotte Inn
Ranked #4 of 10 Edgartown B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 November 2013

After given time to reflect on this, I apologize for bringing Eliot and his wife into this conversation. That was not my intention. I definitely am not the writer that Eliot and his wife are.

This review reflects me alone. I have attempted to remove the previous review, but the current rules don't allow removal of a previous post. So consider this review my replacement.

You're right. I felt I was treated very differently than many others at the inn. My fiance saw it also. I can't tell if it's because I was perceived as a different race, a younger age (33 y/o), a different gender, a less refined person, a poorer person, etc. I definitely work 60-80 weeks as a physician and don't have the luxury that others do to take super fancy trips without a care in the world.

I can say that I haven't felt this way since being in Mississippi. I generally get along very well in my role as a Boston physician managing large groups of people in new and different situations daily--from life threatening, to sad, to crying, to fearful, to consoling. I'm often told that I have more empathy than most. And perhaps in a very academic and diverse environment which respects people for their knowledge and insight, I got used to being respected as a person.

I arrived with two other friends (who just happen to not be white). My fiance and Eliot and his wife arrived at a later time.

As opposed to Eliot's arrival, we were not greeted curbside. We carried our heavy luggage up the walkway to the front door where we were met with confusion. We advised the woman that we had reservations. We were advised to leave our luggage on the dirt and gravel bed next to the walkway OUTSIDE of the house and then were allowed to go up the stairs and enter the building. There was no one attending our luggage as it sat in the front yard for 15-20 minutes.

When we were shown around the inn, we passed a brandy decanter with clean glasses that looked like it was set up for guests to enjoy in the sitting room. I specifically asked if this was complimentary. I specifically was told in a very loud and direct voice that drinks could be PURCHASED and were NOT complimentary. I specifically noted white guests drinking from the free standing decanter that night and during the entire stay.

When the receptionist showed us to our rooms, the receptionist assumed that we would soil or knock over the ornate pictures on the wall next to the stairs. We are not large people. We all have a BMI around 22, significantly less than other guests. We were surprisingly asked to move our small purses from the right shoulder to the left when ascending the stairs. I was then asked to move my purse from the right shoulder to the left when descending the stairs. None of the other guests were asked to do this. I specifically brought this to the attention of the owners, and they had no good answer why we were chosen to move our purses.

When I arrived at my room, the man helping me with my bags was super nice, but appeared fearful that he was not allowed to talk (he was not white). So he whispered like a scared mouse, "I hope you enjoy your stay." That was odd.

During the second evening, we did have a disagreement about the ability to play cards in the common room downstairs. We were allowed to do that the first evening. The next evening, we were told this was not possible without explanation. Perhaps we were louder than a retired 65+ crowd not worried about Medicare changes, but we were NOT crazy by any means. We were not dancing. We were not playing music. We were playing cards. (In fact, we were hoping to play monopoly since the inn promised us they had it. But alas, they were missing critical pieces of their game.) If I wanted to lounge lazily in front of a fire and sleep, then I would have stayed at home with my iPad and large soaking tub.

When I complained about internet not working (My patients expect to communicate with me by internet regularly. I don't have the luxury of tuning out the world when I want to.), I was simply told that "it was working." In fact, the internet did not work the entire time in the extra $100 a night summer house room. If you look in previous reviews, this same complaint has been vocalized and not addressed.

When we were checking out of the inn, the owner almost tripped over himself trying to get to my fiance who is a very good-looking older white male. Then the owner talked to him for 30+ minutes. Not knowing that I was with my fiance (because we had arrived separately), the owner walked by me 2-3 times with barely a nod (and he was like 1 foot away).

I am happy to discuss this with the owners, but they are not receptive.

12  Thank JenJoe00
Paula C, Owner at The Charlotte Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

We strive to provide a warm welcome for all our guests, and we're sorry your stay didn't leave you feeling welcome and valued. We're disappointed when we don't succeed at our intention.

We suggest that travelers read the review by Elliot below, "Excellent service, fantastic food, important clarification" for another perspective on some of the same events.

Reviewed 2 November 2013

To be sure.... the world-class Charlotte Inn evokes the aura of a better bygone era in a property brimming with Anglo-American elegance and luxury.

And while even the most discriminating traveler is bound to be impressed The Charlotte's Relais & Châteaux higher taste and style levels... the very heart of the inn lies in proprietors Gery and Paula Conover's passion for down-to-earth hospitality, attention to detail, and profound commitment to providing every guest with stellar service. You'll find it reflected in every lavishly furnished room (I've stayed in six or seven over the course of 12 years) and certainly each and every staff member.

The setting amid the charm of Edgartown's cobbled streets and historic harbor is the thing that dreams are made of. The Charlotte's gardens and grounds are absolutely breathtaking. And The Terrace restaurant --cuisine and wine list and service-- is simply without peer.

So with fondest memories of my every stay... and giving the inn the highest-possible rating in every category below... I'm set to return to The Charlotte next spring.

few properties and can what amazes me most is proprietor Gery Conover's passion for

Room Tip: Let your conscience --and wallet-- be your guide and rest assured that every room is lavishly furnis...
3  Thank AlleyAscot
Reviewed 23 October 2013

The Charlotte Inn is a welcoming compound in Edgartown comprising a main house and several surrounding properties.
When my wife and I arrived we were greeted curbside, escorted to the front desk where we signed in and were given a brief tour of the first floor while our luggage was taken to our room. The Inn is located on a quiet street a half block from shopping a restaurants.

Before you explore the town I'd encourage you to eat at The Terrace. It's in the main house and you simply don't want to miss the pasta dishes. I highly recommend the Bolognese and the Risotto. Even if your'e in another town on the Vineyard the restaurant will be worth the trip.

Breakfast is classic American, and after having 3 breakfasts in a 2 day period (my wife and i eat like Hobbits) the breakfast in The Hotel is the best. The owner Paula was there the morning we had breakfast and she poured coffee and tea. My wife and I annually vacation on Nantucket and Edgartown is the closest in feel to us, on the Vineyard. It's always fun discussing the differences in the two islands.

This is a fantastic place to stay, but my purpose is also a clarification of my experience as written by another reviewer.

As the only "Black Man" who was registered in The Charlotte Inn with an "Asian" wife, I"m not at all in agreement with the depiction of my experience. Here is further context. What I write here only pertains to me and my wife and what we view as a completely baseless racism accusation. I was not present when the other reviewer checked in and the reviewers specific complaints that do not involve me are not mine to challenge.

However, the Inn is called "anti-Black" with Chinese "barely tolerated" in an earlier review. This implies that I, the only "Black man" registered at The Charlotte Inn for the weekend in question received poor treatment. Nothing could be further from the truth. My wife and I enjoyed our stay.I enjoyed the restaurant. I enjoyed the professionalism of the staff. I even asked the tall blonde server who brought me my Justin wine by the glass (I'll just buy a bottle next time) if she had worked for Danny Meyer because of her pleasant demeanor.

Across from "The Terrace" restaurant on the first floor is a sitting room with a fireplace.This room is called the Green Room and is perfect for a drinks by an open fire experience. After my wife and I arrived, checked in and had dinner, we joined the larger group, making us a party of eight. A card game called "Bulls&it" was in process. This game requires the repeated use of this word, my wife and I joined for 2 rounds. Our dinner was at 9 PM and we always take our time at restaurants so it didn't surprise us that 11 PM had come so quickly and the room, out of respect, for others who would prefer a quieter experience is closed at that time. We were told that we could take the game to one of our rooms, but we all decided to call it a night.

The next night, when a request was made for the tables to be put together for a game of cards in the Green Room, the request was denied. I made the comment about "not shooting the messenger." Awkward, yes. Also understandable. Then again no one had eaten and there was a Red Sox game to be watched. That was it. A large group that had taken over the room didn't get to play a round of cards. In the context of the first night it made perfect sense. There is absolutely nothing racist about not getting what you want.

The Charlotte Inn is a fantastic place to stay. It is however inappropriate for large groups, children, or adults who behave like children.

I have asked the author of the other review to remove all references to me. My wife has requested the same.The author agreed. Nothing has happened. I have been used as a stalking horse in what I view as a slander and gross misrepresentation of the way my wife and I were treated. To be clear, I'm calling BS on the the defamation of The Charlotte Inn as place run like an anti-Black Whites-only country club." I however have no position on Kate Spade purses and Wi-Fi reception outside the main house.

If you are a couple looking for a quiet and romantic Inn with great food, a solid wine list and solace, I highly recommend this place.

Room Tip: Room 4 is in the front of the property facing a quiet street.
9  Thank eliotmorgan
Reviewed 23 September 2013

We were given a room valued at far less than what was prepaid, even though there were apparently many other larger and nicer available rooms.
The room is pleasant but not worth over $700 per night. One would think for that price breakfast would be included or afternoon tea.
Also, the internet did not work in our room.
The grounds are lovely . The staff is pleasant.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Marsha D
Reviewed 19 September 2013

I am writing this review on a tight time schedule . We spent 2 days here in mid August , and all I can do is repeat what all the other 5 Star reviewers have said .

The Decor/ service /ambience was excellent , and it felt like we were living in another Era . Loved the fact that no children or cell phones are allowed.

I wish I could give it a 6 . Will definitely be back.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PETERPNYC
Reviewed 19 August 2013

My husband and I recently spent 3 nights at the Charlotte Inn and could not have been happier. We were in Room 5 located in the main house. All of the rooms are furnished with antiques and although they are small, they are very charming. The inn is "storybook perfect"....from the perfectly landscaped grounds to the attention to detail on the interior including beautiful paintings and tons of gorgeous "accessories".

Dinner at the Terrace Restaurant was a great experience. They do enforce their dress code but it was nice to have dinner in a lovely restaurant where guests were dressed appropriately.
The staff is extremely kind and accommodating.

My only regret is that I did not meet the owner sooner during my stay. I met him briefly on our way out the door....as he grabbed my luggage to bring it to the taxi! He was extremely nice and I think would have been a "wealth of knowledge" on things regarding Martha's Vineyard.

I look forward to returning to The Charlotte Inn.

Room Tip: I doubt that there is a bad room at the inn.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 August 2013

We recently stayed 2 nights at this marvelous storybook Relaix and Chateau Inn.We took the ferry from North Kingstown,RI and arrived at Oak Bluffs.We did not rent a car but instead took a taxi.It was 20$ I think.The Inn is located on a charming quiet street in Edgartown, graced by tall chestnut trees.We were greeted by the resident four legged host- Barclay - in a black tie! So cute and adorable.

The main house was built in 1864 for a merchant.It is graced with Edwardian -era antiques.Black and white clad maids scurry about their business.The front desk is a rich mahogany table stuffed in the back room.You sign a huge ledger like the olden days.The house is adorned with antiques from a bygone era immaculately maintained.

The ship is run tightly by Maitre d' Mason -Carol Read and Innkeepers/Owners par excellence - Gery and Paula Conover. We met both of them and were blown away with their kindness and gracious hospitality.We felt very welcome in their magnificent home.They are doing an outstanding job of welcoming guests and making them feel home.

The Inn is meticulous to say the least.Every corner is like a postcard.Gardeners tend to the lawn and flowers.Continuous dusting and cleaning take place.The place sparkles.Serenity and quiet prevail.No cell phones are allowed in public areas which delighted us.Sometimes people get totally oblivious of their surroundings and carry on loud conversations disturbing everyone within earshot.

We were in the next building in room 8.The Inn is actually four buildings.We had a small porch and small foyer.Antique books were artfully decorated on the steps inside ,making a clever 'bookshelf'. Our room was large with a hevanly goose down bed,Bose stereo, Bulova watch, drinking water in blue glass bottles from Saratoga Springs, and 19th century antiques.The toiletries were from Bulgari.The last time I saw Bulgari toiletries were at another small family run hotel on the Amalfi coast -The Palazzo Avino in Ravello. Indeed, we were impressed with the elegance,class and refinement.

We had breakfasts there each morning-once in the palm filled conservatory ( A lot like the Palm Court at The Plaza,NYC) The other time was in the open air terrace enclosed within green lattice and a copper statue in the center.We enjoyed lovely chats with our gracious host -Paula .Each room has a poem called, "Remember When"- a lovely reminder of the good old days gone by.I loved it and brought it home with me along with a copy of Gery's most favourite sayings to live by.Thank you dear Paula.I am enjoying your lovely book "Behind The Times on Purpose " too.

The location is great.We walked everywhere.For dinner - we recommend Atria and Alchemy.For lunch -Water Street and Atlantic.One day we rented a taxi for 2 hrs and the driver took us a on a tour of the island.We saw the cliffs of Aquinnah, Menemsha, Gingerbread Houses of Oak Bluffs and the Jaws bridge. There's not a whole lot of sight seeing to do.You mostly go to relax.

The Italians have a saying -''dolce far nienete" - the sweetness of doing nothing.That's what we did.Nothing.But it was the sweetest nothing ever done.

Gery and Paula and Carol - We wish you 'buono fortuna' - good fortune for ever and eternity.

Grazie mille. A million thank you's.

We hope to return soon with our daughter,Mareesa ,who I know will love it.

Till we meet again.

Arrivederci

Ciao !

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SheilaKentucky
Also consider these accommodations in or near Edgartown
Harbor View Hotel
Vineyard Square Hotel & Suites
The Christopher
The Christopher
#2 of 10 in Edgartown

Been to The Charlotte Inn? Share your experiences!