“Disappointed in service”

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Edgartown
Shrewsbury MA
“Disappointed in service”
Reviewed 27 August 2011

Stayed at the Clarion in Edgartown for 3 nights in mid-August, just prior to Pres. Obama's arrival. Location is quite good, in terms of convenience. As mentioned in their website, they are in the middle of a commercial district, not a waterfront/center of town/tourist district...so if that is what you are looking for, you'll be disappointed. A deli is at the front of the parking lot, and a Stop and Shop grocery store in next door. Bus stops close to the front, if you are traveling without a car. Told it is a short walk to the center of town - we had a car, it seemed like it would be a 15-20 minute walk to the center. No pool, which made for a difficult day with the kids when it poured all day.

We had a room on the first floor, as requested, as my DH is still on crutches. Room was clean, a good size, with a small frig, a safe (for which we were charged on checkout even though we never used it), and a flat screen TV - unfortunately placed (bolted on actually) on top of the small frig, so it was low and therefore very difficult to watch if lying in bed. The place was full - parking lot was filled with both commercial work vans and private cars, along with a few vans that appeared undoubtedly to belong to the President's advance team. Even though it was full, it was quiet. Ice machine at the side entry to the parking lot was always full. Breakfast was a continental one - was fairly consistently replenished by a woman who appeared to be a housekeeping supervisor. Breakfast included coffee, juice and milk, apples, along with granola cereal and toast/english muffins. There were individually wrapped, commercially made, high-fat pastries and muffins (my teens were big fans of the chocolate muffins), along with boxes of cereals (both kid and adult). A decent enough selection for everyone to at least stave off hunger until lunchtime.

My only complaint was service. I went on vacation, but had a tremendous amount of work to do, and an important report to write...I was relying on good wireless internet access. It was anything but...the connection was weak at best, I kept losing access until, out of frustration, I hooked up through their ethernet cable. Unfortunately the connection port is behind the nightstand between the 2 beds, across the room from the table. This meant either sitting in bed with my laptop in order to work, or stretch the cable across one of the bed's to reach the table. As I worked at night while the rest of the family slept, neither stringing cable across their beds, nor sitting on the bed with my paperwork strewn across the bed which I was sharing with my DD, was really appreciated. On top of that, the cable connection clip was broken, so that the cable kept slipping out and I kept losing the connection. When I spoke to the person at the front desk and asked if there was better connectivity in another part of the motel, I was told that " I know that the owner is working on the internet service, but we have a service that you can call to ask questions"....of course the service couldn't help either. I also asked if I could have a new cable which wasn't broken, thinking that would be an easy fix at least. Instead each time my room number was written down, and I was told that the owner would be informed. Nothing ever happened - extremely frustrating. Instead I just made due by stringing the cable and moving the table closer between the beds...and then rearranging the furniture when I was done.

So, clean, convenient but pricey....my reservations were last minute, but there were several Band B's whose room rates were not too much more that the Clarion's... unfortunately they were all booked. Breakfast OK, service not so.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank sleepydoc

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Dartmouth, MA
Reviewed 25 August 2011

We've stayed at the Clarion a couple of times, most recently in April. The rooms are good sized and comfortable, with the basic amenities of a coffee maker and hair dryer. Breakfast is included, and it's a decent continental breakfast. Coffee, tea, and other beverages are available throughout the day, and the staff will do their best to help you with whatever else you need.

Room Tip: The rooms are all the same, but some hallways get more traffic than others.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank 65Wagonaire
San Diego, California
Reviewed 18 August 2011

Booked a large room with two Queen beds and was not disappointed. It was a bit pricey but overall good value. Room was clean, quiet and everything in working condition. The wifi is definitely a great plus! Location was good. There is a grocery store next door and a DQ across the street. It is a 15-minute easy walk to downtown. From the hotel and facing Main Street, you want to make a left to go to downtown. Staff was helpful with local information.

Please note that there is no elevator at this hotel. There is a safe in the room. There is no gym. A walk to downtown and back is about 1.5miles.

Transportation around town/island: Island's complimentary bus service (#11) stops outside the hotel (just about anywhere you needed it). It is a loop service between downtown Edgartown and just pass the Post Office square. Really convenient and seems to run every 10 min. Bus #1 and 13 stops just pass the grocery store (towards Vineyard Havens/Oak Bluff). Fare is between $1/pp and $2/pp depending on destination. Fare to Oak Bluff was $2/pp. Bus was convenient. We bought a day pass for $7/pp and went around the whole island! If you come in from Oak Bluffs, you can take the #13 bus and it will take you in front of the hotel. Just let the driver know and s/he will be more than happy to drop you off as close to it as possible. You can also take this bus to the "Jump the Bridge" bridge. Kids seem to have fun jumping off the bridge.

Food: Ate at Seafood Shanty (kind of pricey but expected. Good food. Service was a bit slow but we weren't in a hurry and got a table with a nice view of the harbor. At this meal, I learned that just because the lobster is bigger (2lb or more) doesn't mean there is more to eat...just a bigger head which is not edible by most and more expensive!. Go for the smaller one. Also ate at The Wharf on Main the next night which was good. The best meal we had was at the Edgartown Seafood. It's not a restaurant. It's seafood market but they can cook for you. Everything we ordered was cooked to perfection and super fresh. We took our food back to the hotel and ate at the dining. We had the best lobster - quarters ($9/lb) and fried sea scallops (comes in small/medium/large order sizes). We had the medium size (about 10 large scallops) and it was the best we have ever had. We were hoping to go back for dinner but we missed it by 10 min.

We visited Oak Bluffs which appears to be a little bit more touristic than Edgartown. And they don't have a Edgartown Seafood so I will have to stay in Edgartown next time.

We visited Aquinnah via the bus service. We had to change bus three times but it was easy and economical (used my $7 day pass)! In Aquinnah, we visited the light house and the beach. The view from the light house was awesome. The beach is great.

If I were to visit Aquinnah again, I'd definitely go to Memensha which is only 5-10min bus ride from Chilmark. You change to the #4 bus at the Chilmark Store (Vineyard Havens via Memensha). I had hoped to go to Larsen's Seafood Market after reading great reviews on Tripadvisor.

We stayed in MV for a day and half which was a bit short but gave us a taste of what it is like. Next time we will stay longer and definitely in Edgartown. I think it has better downtown with more shops and restaurants.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Travel4fun0498
North Hampton, New Hampshire, USA
Reviewed 18 July 2011

My daughter, age 6 and me decided to do an over-night bike trip to the Vineyard. We arrived in Oaks Bluff on Thursday and biked to the Clarion (about 5-6 miles). All we had was our bikes, backpacks and our reservation for a one-night stay. We checked into the hotel and put our bikes on their bike rack. I mentioned to the gentleman at the desk that we had our bikes and did not have a lock. He told me that the bikes should be safe on their bike rack. There were other bikes on the bike rack some locked, some not locked. On Friday morning when my daughter and I went out to get ready to leave, I noticed that my bike was gone. When I went into the hotel the women at the front desk were not helpful and could care less that I and my 6 year old would have difficulty in making it to the ferry. They didn't even want to call the police for me until I asked them to call the police. They offered nothing to help me in my situation. I asked for the manager and he was just as lame as the ladies. I was extremely frustrated and a bit bewildered at how I was going to get myself and my daugher and my daughter's bike back to the Ferry. After going back to our room, we got a call from the front desk offering a bus ticket. Nice :-) Two backpacks a bike and a 6 year-old. I proceeded to call a van. The total cost of the van was $20. In my confusion about my bike, to make matters worse I left my cell phone plugged into the charger in the room. The hotel again offered absolutely no help or assitance. It cost me $40 to get the phone. Not only did I loose a bike worth about $1200 but the hotel room cost me an additional $60. If the staff was more helpful and cared about my loss I would not have taken the time to write this, but I can tell you - lock your bike no matter what they say and if you need anything... don't bother the front desk cause they could care less if you need help.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel....
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank MNCL

Travellers are raving about these Edgartown hotels

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 16 May 2011

I cancelled my reservation with this hotel about a month prior to the stay date. I, unfortunately, did not keep my confirmation number and I have since found out that they didn't put me into their system. They will not honor my cancellation and refuse to remove the one night charge. I am horrified at their refusal to do the right thing (and how they questioned my integrity) and will NEVER stay at their hotel. I was very disappointed at their EXTREMELY POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE. I have learned a lesson to ALWAYS keep your confirmation number. I hope anyone reading this takes note and decides to stay at a different hotel -- there are plenty of them to choose from on this beautiful island. Just don't stay at this hotel. I have learned my lesson.

Stayed April 2011
4 Thank Tiffany014
New York, New York
Reviewed 14 October 2010

The Clarion was a good hotel - nothing too fancy but it was costly (then again most hotels in Martha's Vineyard are costly)
The location couldn't have been greater though and the breakfast in the morning was ok - nothing special but good enough.
I would definitely go back again!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Cliffside Park, New Jersey
Reviewed 13 August 2010

We had a pleasant 3-day stay at the Clarion in Edgartown, at the height of tourist season. Management accommodated my request to be on the first floor. The rooms were very large and pleasantly decorated. The continental breakfast was simple but sufficient. It was a fairly quiet hotel and it really made the trip a pleasure!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank CoffeeGirl50
Also consider these accommodations in or near Edgartown
Harbor View Hotel
Kelley House
Kelley House
#8 of 10 in Edgartown
Vineyard Square Hotel & Suites

Been to Clarion Inn Martha's Vineyard? Share your experiences!