Stayed at the Clarion in Edgartown for 3 nights in mid-August, just prior to Pres. Obama's arrival. Location is quite good, in terms of convenience. As mentioned in their website, they are in the middle of a commercial district, not a waterfront/center of town/tourist district...so if that is what you are looking for, you'll be disappointed. A deli is at the front of the parking lot, and a Stop and Shop grocery store in next door. Bus stops close to the front, if you are traveling without a car. Told it is a short walk to the center of town - we had a car, it seemed like it would be a 15-20 minute walk to the center. No pool, which made for a difficult day with the kids when it poured all day.
We had a room on the first floor, as requested, as my DH is still on crutches. Room was clean, a good size, with a small frig, a safe (for which we were charged on checkout even though we never used it), and a flat screen TV - unfortunately placed (bolted on actually) on top of the small frig, so it was low and therefore very difficult to watch if lying in bed. The place was full - parking lot was filled with both commercial work vans and private cars, along with a few vans that appeared undoubtedly to belong to the President's advance team. Even though it was full, it was quiet. Ice machine at the side entry to the parking lot was always full. Breakfast was a continental one - was fairly consistently replenished by a woman who appeared to be a housekeeping supervisor. Breakfast included coffee, juice and milk, apples, along with granola cereal and toast/english muffins. There were individually wrapped, commercially made, high-fat pastries and muffins (my teens were big fans of the chocolate muffins), along with boxes of cereals (both kid and adult). A decent enough selection for everyone to at least stave off hunger until lunchtime.
My only complaint was service. I went on vacation, but had a tremendous amount of work to do, and an important report to write...I was relying on good wireless internet access. It was anything but...the connection was weak at best, I kept losing access until, out of frustration, I hooked up through their ethernet cable. Unfortunately the connection port is behind the nightstand between the 2 beds, across the room from the table. This meant either sitting in bed with my laptop in order to work, or stretch the cable across one of the bed's to reach the table. As I worked at night while the rest of the family slept, neither stringing cable across their beds, nor sitting on the bed with my paperwork strewn across the bed which I was sharing with my DD, was really appreciated. On top of that, the cable connection clip was broken, so that the cable kept slipping out and I kept losing the connection. When I spoke to the person at the front desk and asked if there was better connectivity in another part of the motel, I was told that " I know that the owner is working on the internet service, but we have a service that you can call to ask questions"....of course the service couldn't help either. I also asked if I could have a new cable which wasn't broken, thinking that would be an easy fix at least. Instead each time my room number was written down, and I was told that the owner would be informed. Nothing ever happened - extremely frustrating. Instead I just made due by stringing the cable and moving the table closer between the beds...and then rearranging the furniture when I was done.
So, clean, convenient but pricey....my reservations were last minute, but there were several Band B's whose room rates were not too much more that the Clarion's... unfortunately they were all booked. Breakfast OK, service not so.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A modern inn in a quaint old whaling port, the Clarion Inn Martha's Vineyard offers 34 LARGE modern rooms, each recently refurbished and appointed with full bath, king- or queen-size beds, cable TV with HBO, radio, telephone, microwave, refrigerator and air conditioning. Including Free: parking, continental breakfast, business center and faxes, high speed internet access wireless. On-site restaurant: The Grille on Main. Open year round. Located in Edgartown - the most elegant of the Vineyards six picturesque towns. As a guest of the Clarion Martha's Vineyard, you are uniquely positioned to enjoy all of Martha's Vineyard. Situated in Edgartown's business district, we are within walking distance of Edgartown's historic village center. From June to September the VTA makes regular stops in front of the hotel and then trundles onward toward the village and famed South Beach. A bike path connects us to the village, beaches, and the other island towns. In addition, our front desk can assist you with other island activities such as golf, fishing, kayaking, canoeing, bird watching, or where to see the perfect Vineyard Sunset. We look forward to making your trip to Martha's Vineyard an enjoyable and memorable one. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Choice Hotels, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Booking.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Clarion Inn Martha's Vineyard reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Clarion Carriage House Hotel Edgartown
- Clarion Edgartown
- Edgartown Clarion
- Clarion Carriage Hotel
- Clarion Inn Martha's Vineyard Edgartown, MA