“Comfortable”

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Edgartown
Boston, United Kingdom
“Comfortable”
Reviewed 18 October 2013

We stayed at this hotel as we travelled through New England. It was clean and comfortable and certainly worth commenting on. We did not eat here at night though as we hopped into town instead. The grocery store was well placed.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
clarionmv, General Manager at Clarion Inn Martha's Vineyard, responded to this review, 9 June 2015
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I will be sharing your comments with our staff. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to the Vineyard.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina
Reviewed 7 October 2013 via mobile

After reading varied reviews of the B&Bs, chose the consistency of a chain hotel. Was pleasantly surprised, as the rom were much better than the reviews I read. Hotel close to town and the staff very friendly. Would definitely stay there again. Grocery store across parking lot and the restaurant was excellent

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Delray Beach, Florida
Reviewed 27 September 2013

I have traveled quite a bit in my lifetime and do choose quality hotels in which to stay.

I booked a flight on line and hit what I thought was the Clarion site to book my stay. It was more expensive than a Residence( Marriott) in Boca Raton, FL we stayed at last year during their season.

The Clarion is old. The sink was cracked. The toilet leaked. The ceilings sound like they are made of paper. One night, the person upstairs must have been an insomniac, as I could hear the bed seek from his tossing and turning all night. I did not fall asleep until 2AM and was awoken again by upstairs person at 4 . I recorded it. I when I mentioned this to the front desk, she was very cold and indifferent. All she kept saying was, I booked through a third party, there is nothing she can do. ?????? I thought I booked direct, I had no idea. But to be treated with such disdain was unacceptable.

An isolated occurrence? No. The night before leaving, I made a land line call. Since I had to get up very early, when I went to the front desk to pay cash for the call....same indifference because I paid through a third party. ??????? It was a different person, and he did figure out how I could pay for the call in cash and actually gave me a receipt.

Yes, they offer breakfast....for these prices they darn well should. Anyway...the first morning I was there was a rainy cold day...And they had 2 windows open for my " enjoyment" .

The attitude of the staff leaves much to be desired, as does the condition of the hotel. I tripped 3 times walking in the front door...the steps were not marked properly.

Room Tip: Get a different hotel
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Dona P

Travellers are raving about these Edgartown hotels

Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 22 September 2013

We lodged three nights at Clarion Inn Marthas Vineyard, (227 Upper Main St.), Edgartown. Rated the Clarion 9.5 (out of 10) based on hotel’s location to downtown, room accommodations, staff knowledge and kindness, and distance of bus stop to the hotel. The Clarion has this wonderful automatic pancake maker (which is really cool). There is a grocery store across the front parking lot, which was convenient; and saved us from the expense of eating out. Getting around without a car was easy. The bus (VTA) fare was inexpensive and most of the time it was on schedule. We easily caught the bus to Vineyard Haven and Oak Bluffs. Needless to say most of the apparel shops/stores at Martha’s Vineyard were extremely pricey.
Recommendations: Restaurant: Seafood Shanty, Edgartown. The food was delicious with large servings and the waitresses were terrific. Souvenirs: Neptune’s’ Sea Chest, Vineyard Haven, Water St., the prices were competitive and the staff/owners were wonderful! Very refreshing when most of the people on Martha’s Vineyard were not very friendly. Enjoyed our stay and recommend you visit if your schedule allows.

Room Tip: No elevators. We were on the second floor.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Green Q
New York City, New York
Reviewed 17 September 2013

We booked a room for a weekend in early September and were very satisfied with our stay. We felt it provided a good value for our money compared to other options in town. This hotel is somewhat more upscale than your average Clarion. It's in a charming building, the bedding is very nice with fluffy duvets, the bathroom is huge with good shower pressure, rooms have a microwave and a fridge and flat screen TVs. Breakfast is included and is plentiful (cereals, muffins, pancakes, yogurt, juices, etc). And the fruit bowl is available all day. The location is nice and quiet, so you can get good sleep.

We found the location fine for our needs. It's about a 15-minute walk from downtown Edgartown. We didn't find it to be an issue at all. The bus stops right outside the hotel as well. It is $2 to go to Oak Bluffs (10 min ride) or the airport (20 min ride). You can take it to downtown Edgartown as well (the stop is at Church Street), but we didn't find it necessary. There is a large supermarket right next door, which is convenient. There are also a few restaurants, a pilates studio, a Dairy Queen and some other shops nearby. The only downside is that there is no beach within walking distance. You have to go to Oak Bluffs or take the bus or cab to South Beach in Edgartown.

The only downsides I can think of are relatively minor:

- We had a "Do Not Disturb" sign on our door and by 10am the cleaning staff slid a note under our door saying that we missed the cleaning window and could just get extra towels downstairs. We were out of the room by 11am and it didn't get cleaned. This seems extremely early to me to stop the cleaning service. I've stayed at dozens of hotels around the world (see # of my hotel reviews) and this is the first time I've experienced such an early cleaning service cut-off time.

- The first morning the pancake machine was out at 9:30am and the staff that day didn't seem to care. When asked, they just shrugged it off and said the breakfast is over at 10am anyway. Don't see why there needs to be a "last call" for pancakes by 9:30am. To be fair, it wasn't an issue the following morning.

Room Tip: Rooms farther away from the road are likely quieter.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Columbia, Connecticut, United States
Reviewed 12 September 2013

If you do not like to walk quite a ways to town, don't stay here. It is really by nothing, except Stop and Shop and a gas station. You have to drive or take the bus to everything. We walked to town but it is about a mile. And a cab from the ferry terminal will cost you $18. Services are very limited at this hotel. We were supposed to have a sleep couch and it wasn't and then they have no rollaway beds, even though they say they do. The front desk is not very informed. There is no pool and no elevator, which we don't mind the exercise, but our suitcases are very big. It is definitely not worth the price. Glad we were able to use points.

Room Tip: Stay on the first floor if you have a lot of luggage. No elevator
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Auburn, Massachusetts
Reviewed 10 September 2013 via mobile

Great Stay. Air Conditioning Excellent. Room Very Clean An Smelled Clean. Staff Friendly. Breakfast Was Excellent. Beds Very Comfortable And Made Up Perfectly. Tiny Toilet For Little Butt. Shower Was Strong And Good.

• Stayed September 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Edgartown
Mansion House
Harborside Inn
Harborside Inn
#3 of 4 in Edgartown
Vineyard Square Hotel & Suites

Been to Clarion Inn Martha's Vineyard? Share your experiences!