“High Marks!”

Vineyard Square Hotel & Suites
Ranked #3 of 10 Edgartown B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 August 2011

I stayed here in mid August with my family. This was a last minute reservation and we were lucky enough to get a 1 bedroom suite with a living room. The quoted rate included access to a continental breakfast, located in a small nook just past the lobby. The stay overall was very pleasant and the hotel and staff exceed my expectations. The rooms are clean but small, as you would expect at a B&B and there is no elevator (other than for handicap access) so if you are on the 3rd or 4th floor be prepared for a little extra exercise. The room refrigerator was small but clean, and it was warm during our stay so we ran the a/c and it worked fine and was not too loud. as previously mentioned the Continental breakfast was set up promptly every morning with the usual and, in particular, the muffins and selected fresh cakes and pastries were excellent. I was planning to use the lobby based workout room - and I did once - but it is quite small with basic equipment and poorly ventilated so I skipped it for the remainder of our trip. As reviewers previously mentioned there is no on-site parking, and I did not make a reservation in advance to use the nearby nearby lot so I actually drove my locally rented Jeep to the public lot near Stop & Shop and walked back to the hotel in the late evening (it is a beautiful 15 minute walk) which turned into my alternate daily exercise. The hotel staff was friendly and always available and willing to assist or answer any questions we had. Even though it was High season we never had a problem relaxing on a lobby couch or on the porch in a rocking chair and watching life go by with a cool drink in our hand. Overall I believe the Vineyard Square was a very nice hotel and overall good value and look forward to one day returning.

• Stayed: August 2011
ColonialInnMV, General Manager at Vineyard Square Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2011

Thank you for the 'High Marks'. All of the team here really enjoys spending time with our guests so I am glad they were able to help you enjoy your time with us. We truly appreciate it!

Reviewed 9 August 2011

The Vineyard Square is in a perfect location in one of the most charming towns in New England... It is centrally located with easy walking distance to many shops, restaurants and pubs. The small rooms are nicely appointed and comfortable. We were in a third floor partial harbor view queen room and it had all the amenities as promised. Two major downfalls of the hotel - 1) there is NO PARKING. If you have your own vehicle on the island, you will end up parking in a lot 1 mile from the hotel - accessibility is only by bus or on foot (no courtesy hotel car/van). And 2) the weather in August is quite enjoyable in MV and sitting outdoors with a beverage is a pleasure to do as you rest and talk away the night. This was almost impossible to do as the two spots to do so are either on the fourth floor veranda with about 6 rocking chairs and a "closing" hour at the early hour of 9pm (strictly enforced) and on the facility front porch - which also is home to a popular restaurant, which uses the porch as a "waiting" area for restaurant goers - leaving no space for PAYING hotel guests to relax and enjoy the outdoors. Both spots are too small to tend to the number of rooms in this hotel. We've stayed many years at a near by hotel and thought we'd change it up a bit and do something different - big mistake as we were quite disappointed in our stay and will not be returning to the VS.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Laura L
robblood, Owner's Representative at Vineyard Square Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2011

Dear "CatherineCottages" -
We'd like to thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your Vineyard Getaway. We're so sorry to see that you won't be back with us. We're so pleased to hear that you enjoyed our newly renovated rooms and our location in the center of Edgartown.

It is true that parking is a challenge with our location in the heart of the downtown -- we do however, have a limited number of parking spaces that can be reserved prior to your stay. We're sure to mention this at the time of booking to so as to avoid any disappointment on arrival. As you mentioned the town does provide free parking at a location which is 9/10 of a mile from our front door. The lot is serviced by a complementary shuttle which stops on the street just adjacent to the hotel.

As you mentioned, the hotel offers several outdoor spaces for guest enjoyment. We have a beautiful 4th floor veranda that overlooks Edgartown Harbor, a covered first floor veranda overlooking our square with rocking chairs and we have a back courtyard reserved for hotel guests' use. We feel lucky to have a first rate restaurant connected to the hotel. They provide a great resource for our guests who would like to enjoy a glass of wine or a cocktail on our front veranda. It is true, however, that after 5:30 pm the front veranda is shared with the restaurant and seating is at a premium.

We appreciate your bringing these two issues to our attention. We are continuing to look for new solutions for our parking limitations and we have a plan in place to add seating to the front veranda and square as well as to enhance the hotel's back courtyard for evening use.

Next time you're in Edgartown, we'd like to invite you to stop by the hotel to see the improvements at Vineyard Square. We hope that you will reconsider and give us another try. If you'd like to contact me or the owner's directly to provide more feedback please feel free to so at: jts@vineyardsquarehotel.com All the best, Rob Blood | Owner's Representative

Reviewed 8 August 2011

Accomodations (4th floor suite) were perfect-total luxury, view, privacy and location to everything in & around Eagartown

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
ColonialInnMV, Director of Sales at Vineyard Square Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2011

Thank you for your review. The view from that 4th floor suite is truly spectacular - I hope you will be back to enjoy it again soon!

Reviewed 4 August 2011

My wife and I spent three nights at the Vinyard Square July 30-Aug 2. We are very gals we chose the VS. Our "cozy room" was plenty large enough, very clean, with a very comfortable bed. The hotel property was a perfect combination of quaint, friendly and comfortable, but very nice.

The location is exactly what we wanted, right in the middle of Edgartown but quiet at night.

We loved getting early evening drinks at Chesca's (great restaurant sharing the same building) and sitting on the shared porch and watching the people stroll by.

When we return, we'll definitely stay again at this excellent property.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple

I'm so happy to hear that you had a great stay with us. It sounds like you really took advantage of our central, downtown location - the people watching is a lot of fun from the front porch!
Remember that our repeat guests always receive a discount with us. We will look forward to seeing you again soon,

Reviewed 2 August 2011

The Vineyard Square was a fabulous place to stay for my family's summer vacation. The rooms were larger than I had expected and the bathroom was very large. The shower did need some updating and was a bit slippery. Chescas Restaurant is located right beneath part of the hotel which took away from my sleep quality. However, it was a really beautiful room, in a really beautiful part of Martha's Vineyard. Walking distance to everything - in under 5 or 10 minutes tops - Bus stop, restaurants, ferry.
There is a balcony open to hotel guests on the 4th floor with the BEST view of the harbor. Each evening my family and I would have a glass of wine before heading out to dinner. It was a beautiful way connect as a family and take in the beauty of Martha's Vineyard before enjoying one of many fabulous Vineyard restaurants.

I sincerely and highly recommend this hotel to anyone who desires to visit Edgartown. The Vineyard Square Hotel is certainly my first choice of lodging for future visits.

Room Tip: Book in advance!!!
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
ColonialInnMV, Director of Sales at Vineyard Square Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2011

Thank you for your lovely review! I am so happy to hear that you and your family were able to relax and reconnect during your stay with us - that 4th floor porch really is a great spot to get together and relax before exploring all that Edgartown has to offer.
Please feel free to contact me directly for your next visit at joanne@vineyardsquarehotel.com, perhaps a room on a higher floor would be better for you on your next stay.

Reviewed 2 August 2011

This was our first time staying here. We have been coming for 9 years to the island and was looking for a new place to stay. Our previous favorite place went down hill. We really loved it, great location, right in the middle of town. No need for a car. The inn was clean and bright. Pretty sure they renovated recently. We stayed on the 4th floor in a queen room which was perfect. Great deck overlooking the bay on the 4th floor that anyone staying there could access. We enjoyed that in the afternoon with a bottle of wine and some cheese. Staff was pleasant and helpful. Continental breakfast in the morning. If you want a real hearty breakfast then you need to go out for that. But for us this was perfect. All in all nice place and most likely will stay again next year.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple

Hi - I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your 1st stay with us; I hope there will be many more! You are correct that our rooms were all renovated over the past winter (2010/11) with new decor and the addition of the flat screen TV's and other room upgrades such as the granite sinks and new furnishings.
The 4th floor porch is our best kept secret - I'm glad you had a chance to relax and enjoy that wonderful view. I try to sneak up there most days for a 5 minute look at the harbor - it is beautiful at all times of year!
I hope we will see you again soon and can help you enjoy more of the great Edgartown attractions just minutes from our door.
Until then,

Reviewed 29 July 2011

A block away from the ferry landing, right in the heart of activity. The rooms are very pleasant, nice courtyard for the complimentary breakfast. Staff was extremely nice; my room wasn't ready, so I went shopping and they called me on my cell phone when it was. Great service!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo

It is great to hear that you enjoyed your visit with us and enjoyed all of our staff. We love to meet new and returning guests and we hope to see you again soon. Remember that our repeat guests will always receive a discount on your next stay! Hope to see you soon,
Director of Sales

Also consider these accommodations in or near Edgartown
Harbor View Hotel
0 mi away
Kelley House
Kelley House
#9 of 10 in Edgartown

Been to Vineyard Square Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!