“First visit to Martha's Vineyard”
Review of Harbor View Hotel

Harbor View Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Edgartown
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“First visit to Martha's Vineyard”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

The Harbor View Hotel was in an excellent location, being close enough to the center of Edgartown and yet in a quiet section with access to the lighthouse . We could walk into the center of town or walk on the beach or read on the porch as suited our mood. The staff were helpful.

Room Tip: The older part of the hotel is more charming. I have a feeling that the section by the pool is noisy...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
Milan, Italy
Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

We simply LOVED this place!! Amazing location, just in front of a nice bay with a romantic lighthouse, a few benches to admire the nature and the quiet surroundings. The room was very large and comfortable, clean and with a housekeeping service several time a day. The restaurant was really nice: looking to the ocean, providing you with good food. The location was great also because in 5 minutes you can be in Edgartown and enjoy both the quiet bay and the nice village as well as a nice starting point to visit Msrtha's Vineyard. In one word: fantastic!

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Helsinki
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We had never been in Marthas Vineyard before so we didnt know the little villages from which to choose. The thing we knew that the hotel had to be next to the sea. Thats why The Harbor wiew hotel was our choise. The location is just what we wanted...the hotel itself is very nice old building turned to nice hotel. The rooms were large and comfortable...the bathroom with the bath,which was nice after long walk on the windy beach. The staff was a bit young and unexperienced but they tried their best.
The breakfast was ok...nothing to write home about....
The best thing was the terrace facing the sea with many rockingchairs to enjoy the wiew.
Edgartown itself is great...nice elegant shops and restaurants and sooooo beautiful streets with amazing houses to watch!

Room Tip: Try to get the third floor,so no one is running and jumping above you. The wiew to garden is also n...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank EijaHelsinki
Downingtown, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Loved this hotel with a spectacular view of the Edgartown lighthouse. Loved the room/view and also love the Water room. Looked to see if this would work for our daughter's wedding. Loved it but the Water room was just a little too small (105 people) but would have loved to have her wedding here. We will be back!

Room Tip: Front rooms o the 2nd and 3rd floor have great view of the lighthouse.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 28 May 2014

My friends and I visited off season and the weather didn't cooperate. The concierge brought out a puzzle of her own and let us make it by the fire. Other guests were welcome to help obviously and we were able to finish it! The room was fine however the tv was blurry.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
ellicott city, maryland
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

From the clean, crisp, nautical decor, to the friendly staff, roaring fireplace and rocking chairs on the porch, to the light house, giant cookies and milk in wineglasses for my kids at bedtime- i think my six year old summed it up when he said "Mom, I feel rich." Atta boy! :). Go here, you WILL love it. The lighthouse is just one of the perks.
We were here for Easter, so the easter bunny came and there was an Easter egg hunt- our kids didn't have baskets so the concierge graciously gifted them harbor view inscribed pails and shovels to use and keep. Love, love this place!

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank trippinmaman
Plymouth, Massachusetts
Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

Let me first say I have stayed at the Harbor View for years with no problems. That being said, there is nothing that could be said for the lack of action, compassion, or ability of the staff at the front desk or the "director of bookings."
Long story short, we had raw sewerage coming up from the sink to the point the bathroom and part of the bedroom were flooded. It took 3 calls to get someone to the room to fix the problem. Once the problem was "fixed" it took over 2 hours to get the cleaning staff to the room and yet another call to the front desk. Over 8 hours with not being able to brush teeth, take a shower or use a toilet. When we came back from 3 hours after all this, the sewerage came back again. We were finally moved to another room. I asked to speak to the general manager to which the snippy clerk at the front desk exclaimed, "we DO NOT have a general manager!" After asking who was in charge she finally told me of a Director of Booking. I told them I wanted a courtesy call from this individual who they would not give me their name. It has been over 2 weeks and I have still not received a call, email or anything. Again, I have stayed here before with no incident but this is unbelievable! For the money spent I can't believe of the ineptitude of the staff. Save your money and stay somewhere else on MV!

• Stayed April 2014
12 Thank Brian S
Clark_Guinn, General Manager at Harbor View Hotel, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Please accept my sincerest apologies for the turn of events that occurred during your last stay with us at the Harbor View Hotel. I scheduled a mandatory meeting with my staff to discuss the way in which this incident was handled or the lack there of. I am disappointed with our failure to continue to offer the level of service you have experienced during your previous stays prior to this recent episode.

Our property has undergone some changes in personnel over the past year and we have selected a qualified individual to oversee the operations of this property for the upcoming season. As Regional Director of Operations, I oversee 3 properties and I make a point of being at each property a minimum of 2 times weekly. However, times such as these, I need to be confident that my staff is equipped to handle whatever and whenever an unfortunate event presents itself.

In an effort to redeem you as a valued guest, I would like to offer you complimentary return stay. I would greatly appreciate the opportunity for us to reverse our last impression we unintentionally left with you. To arrange, please call Lynn at 508-356-2102.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Edgartown
Mansion House
#8 of 10 in Edgartown
The Christopher
The Christopher
#2 of 10 in Edgartown

Been to Harbor View Hotel? Share your experiences!