Harbor View Hotel
Ashley Inn Bed and Breakfast(Edgartown)(Great Value!)
US$258
US$247
Vineyard Square Hotel & Suites(Edgartown)(Great Value!)
US$236
Kelley House(Edgartown)(Great Value!)
US$262
The Christopher(Edgartown)(Great Value!)
US$273
Clarion Inn Martha's Vineyard(Edgartown)(Great Value!)
US$291
US$236
The Hob Knob(Edgartown)(Great Value!)
US$584
  • Breakfast included
Pequot Hotel(Oak Bluffs)(Great Value!)
US$155
Summercamp Hotel(Oak Bluffs)(Great Value!)
US$166
Mansion House(Vineyard Haven)(Great Value!)
US$321
US$312
1,022 results
All reviewsmain buildingfront porchmayhew buildingedgartown lighthouseoff seasonmartha's vineyardlighthouse grillrocking chairshotel barthe cottagesconcierge deskbeautiful hotellight housewater viewshort walkwrap around porchnew england
Reviewed 27 June 2014

I stayed at the Harbor View Hotel with my husband for a getaway honeymoon, since we live in Massachusetts but had never visited the Vineyard. When choosing a hotel, we splurged on the Harbor View because of it's fabulous location and views, its amenities (heated pool was a must given that the ocean is still *freezing* in mid/late June), and wonderful views of the harbor.

I must say, after four nights at the Harbor View, both my husband and I left disappointed in our experience. However, we can't deny that the hotel has its strong points, so I will talk about the positives first. The Harbor View's location absolutely cannot be beaten. It's a short walk from downtown Edgartown, and you can even walk to a lighthouse! The lobby is gorgeous and the property is well-maintained. The concierge, Darlene, is an absolute gem. She was incredibly friendly and helpful, making dinner reservations for us and suggesting a Chappaquiddick tour, which my husband and I really enjoyed.

Now to the negatives. One of the large reasons we choose the Harbor View was because of its amenities. I wanted to stay in a hotel with a heated pool, as the ocean temperatures would be too cold for me to truly enjoy. The Harbor View's pool heater was broken for the duration of our visit, which pretty much turned into an experience of staying in a hotel with no pool. I could've chosen a different hotel with fewer amenities, paid less, and had the same experience. I was also surprised that there was a lack of communication among staff regarding this issue. When I inquired at the front desk, they didn't even know! My husband noted to me that at other less luxurious hotels that he's stayed in for business, he will often be contacted by staff specifically letting him know which amenities are unfortunately unavailable to him. Not the case at the Harbor View. In fact, when I voiced my dissatisfaction at the front desk upon check out, the clerk said, "Oh, I think it's fixed today though. Sorry!" That doesn't really do anything to help us... Plus, we were paying in-season rates, so we expect to have amenities available to us (including the pool bar, which was also closed for the duration of our visit).

I was also surprised that the Harbor View did nothing to make my husband and I feel special although it was our honeymoon. Many of my newlywed friends have spoken to me about getting a glass of wine or a hearty congratulations in a note from the hotel, upon telling staff that they chose to spend their honeymoon at a particular hotel Not at the Harbor View. We told the clerk upon check in that this was our honeymoon, and he said to us, "That's great. I just got married too." And that was the end of that. That said, we definitely aren't *entitled* to special treatment. However, our wedding night hotel was a Holiday Inn, and we received an upgrade to a suite and complementary parking. When a Holiday Inn does more to make newlyweds feel special than a "luxury" hotel, you have to think about the kind of emphasis on customer service staff receives during training. Not impressed.

Finally, and this is a small gripe, but we had an interesting experience at Henry's, the hotel bar. Our food was definitely great, albeit expensive. However, that is to be expected since this is Martha's Vineyard. Anyway, I ordered a sangria on the menu, to be told they were out. That's fine. I ordered a French 75 instead. I received an incorrectly made French 75 (vodka instead of gin). It tasted fine, so I just went along with it. However, upon receiving the check, I learned the French 75 cost $19. This is not Manhattan! Keep in mind that other on-menu drinks were around the $12-$14 range. So beware of ordering a drink off-menu.

I went into the Harbor View Hotel having high expectations--it is touted as a luxury hotel, after all. I was met with mediocre service and a lack of available amenities. Not the experience that I wanted during my honeymoon, especially at $300/night! Just take these kinds of things into consideration if you are thinking of splurging on this hotel. I might stay there again if I had money to burn, but not if I wanted to truly have a special and memorable stay.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank bcass85
Reviewed 25 June 2014

My husband and I stayed here the weekend before Memorial Day. This was a great time to stay here (less expensive than peak season, not as crowded, and we got the best room in the hotel). The property is absolutely gorgeous. From the wrap-around porch, the gorgeous lobby with fireplace, and the stunning ocean-view room with balcony, we could not have been more pleased with our stay.
The hotel is conveniently located in downtown Edgartown. The room was phenominal and clean, and had an awesome view of the water and lighthouse. We had a great balcony too!
The only problem with coming the week before Memorial Day is that a lot of things are still closed. If you do not have a problem with some stores and restaurants being closed, then it is well worth it.
We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jenpul166
Reviewed 20 June 2014

This hotel just misses getting very good review. There are great things about the hotel, but also some not so great things.
Positives-
The lobby area is gorgeously decorated. Big cushy furniture to relax and enjoy the gorgeous views of the water and lighthouse. They have a covered wrap around porch to sit and enjoy the same beautiful view. We would get wine from the bar in the evenings and sit out there to relax. (Although when sitting outside you have to use plastic cups, this didn't bother our group but some might not like that.)
The front desk, bell and concierge staff was so charming and helpful. The location is perfect. A short walk to the main part of town with all the shops and restaurants. (The walk is a joy- looking at all the gorgeous homes, landscaping and water.) They have a beautiful pool area, though in mid June the pool was nearly too cold to enter. Each morning they have a coffee station set up with Starbucks coffee. It was so nice to grab a cup before heading out for the day.

Negatives
Our room was in the main building a two queen room with a big balcony with loungers, with a pretty view of the pool area. But the deck was dirty, covered in green moss and also had a bit of mold. It was very slippery and we had to be very careful walking out there it was so slick. The housekeeping staff only visited our room once during our 3 night stay. Once at around 5pm we asked them to come freshen the room, someone begrudgingly handed us some towels and said they'd send someone to make the beds later. The furniture was probably nice once but it is starting to look tired from wear. There is a mini fridge with nothing in it. The bathroom was no better than a inexpensive hotel chain bathroom.The bar Henry's has some great staff, bartenders Ben and David were so friendly and nice to chat with about the area. But we had one extremely unprofessional server there one night that we decided not to go back to the bar if she was there. I'm guessing she was new to serving, because she was unpleasant and had little idea about hospitality.
Our room was $450 a night. I know seasonal prices on the vineyard are expensive. This definitely looked like the best option even at the price for our particular trip. And I might stay here again, but really overall I felt that the quality of the rooms and either inexperienced or bitter staff members we occasionally encountered brought our stay below expectation. It made it feel like it was not really worth the inflated in season price. Though I was told by several islanders it was the best hotel on the island.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank J W
Clark_Guinn, General Manager at Harbor View Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Thank you for sharing your experience regarding your recent stay with us. Comments let us know where we are successful as well as pointing out areas that need improvement. I do apologize for the oversight in our housekeeping services and for the unprofessional service you were subjected to in our restaurant. My department heads have been asked to address the issues with their staff in an effort to rectify and prevent from happening in the future. The departments that were successful in providing the level of service that you expected will be recognized for offering you their best!

We do hope that you do return for another visit with us in the future as we welcome the opportunity to reverse the impression we left with you.

Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

Had a fantastic stay, everyone was super friendly and helpful. Traveling with a four year old and a six month old isn't easy but we felt welcomed from the time we arrived to the time we departed. The room was spacious and breakfast in water Street was great!

Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Simon R
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I sought suggestions as to lodging options on Martha's Vineyard from Tripadvisor, before booking our stay. Once again, Tripadvisor didn't steer me wrong. The Harbor View Hotel is, in our opinion, probably the best lodging choice in Edgartown; if you're seeking peaceful surroundings, a fabulous view, and convenience to the restaurants and shops. The rooms are individually climate controlled (both air and heat). The Harbor View Hotel is within short walking distance to downtown Main Street, and is ~15-20 minutes from the Vineyard Haven ferry. There is ample free parking, in case you decide to bring a car, which we did. The concierge, Darlene, is a gem. Ask to speak with her, if you call ahead of time, and seek her out at the property when you arrive. My sister and I stayed in the main building, and had a fabulous view of the harbor and lighthouse. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family