“The Best”

Down River Ice Cream
Ranked #1 of 1 Dessert in Essex
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Have been here numerous times and the ice cream is about the best I have ever had - rich and creamy with loads of chips, nuts, etc. Amazing.

1  Thank REVHarpswell

Reviewed 14 October 2013

I'd given up eating ice cream years ago, because eating it, whether from the parlor or the supermarket, made me feel sick to my stomach. Had heard good things about Down River, and took a houseguest there one hot July day--being a well-bred houseguest who didn't believe my protestations about not eating ice cream, she picked me up a scoop of mocha chip, a flavor I'd named as one of my bygone favorites. Not only was it the best ice cream I'd ever eaten EVER, it didn't make me sick! My friend got strawberry ice cream which was loaded with chunks of fresh strawberries, and on a later visit, I tried their pistachio-- unlike any pistachio ice cream I'd ever had, loaded with read pistachios, smooth creamy, AMAZING!! Their butter pecan reminds me of the Schraffts butter pecan I used to enjoy as a child. DO NOT PASS UP EITHER DOWN RIVER store, under any circumstances. Simply the best!

1  Thank GlostaH
Reviewed 10 September 2013

We used to drive for twenty minutes to enjoy the ice cream at this wonderful local gem. Now that they have opened a second venue in Rowley, the drive is only ten minutes and I would go daily if calories were irrelevant. There is often a line and patience may be needed; but this is some of the best ice cream in New England. Move way over Ben and Jerry, sorry Mr. Richardson. The ginger flavor is my favorite. It has pieces of ginger snap cookie and chunks of ginger. My grandchildren are addicted to black cherry and blueberry.
It's all good... and servings are extremely generous. A baby cone is enough for most adults.

Reviewed 27 August 2013

Butter Pecan was soft, rapidly melting, and laced with ice crystals. Since this ice cream stand is local we visit fairly often. The quality this year has been very variable. The property is clean and well kept.

1  Thank amortizor73
Reviewed 12 August 2013

We started going to the second second location in Rowley and decided to take a drive to Ipswich. Both locations have limited parking but have a few places to sit(can be very buggy at times). This is the BEST ice cream I think we have ever had. So rich, creamy, tasty authentic! If you are driving by make sure you stop. If you aren't make the trip here. You will be glad you did!