“Big City Excellence In A Small Cozy City”

Caldeiras Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 231 Restaurants in Fall River
Cuisines: Portuguese
Reviewed 29 May 2013

I had read a review of Caldeiras in my local paper and it was so glowing that I knew I had to give it a try. We quickly invited some close friends that we hadn't seen in awhile to meet us there on a Thursday night. Unbeknownst to us, that enabled us to take advantage of a very nice "2-for" special where you get a choice of perhaps 8 or 9 lovely meals, plus whatever specials they were having, along with a bottle of wine (with four to choose from) for $24, a steal.

My wife chose the shish kabob special which was perfectly cooked and expertly seasoned. It featured lean chunks of beef interspersed with slices of chorico (Portuguese sausage), onions and green peppers. The meal came with two outstanding potato cakes, mixed roasted vegetables, and lots of oohs and ahhs from my wife!

I ordered crispy fried fillets of fish with shrimp and garlic sauce and it was simply outstanding. Perfectly cooked and seasoned, it came with amazing fresh cut french fries, very good rice, and by the time I was half way done with the meal, I was already planning my return trip, it was that good.

We split a fantastic Tiramisu that was just perfect, and excellent coffee. Our friends has similary excellent meals, and it was agreed that this was a real destination restaurant, as good as any big-city dining experience we'd had. The bill came to an astonishing $76 for four people, and it was worth twice that.

VERY highly recommended.

2  Thank Pete R

Reviewed 25 April 2013

We have gone to this restaurant a few times and the food and service is consistent. Very good!!!
Service is excellent and the Sunday thru Thursday special of two dinners and a bottle of wine for $25.00 is an excellent value. The owner always comes over to make sure we are being taken care of. Highly recommend this place. Parking is in short supply but at night you can park across the street at the bank parking lot.

2  Thank Philip W
Reviewed 15 January 2013 via mobile

Love Portuguese restaurants and I will say that this one is better than average. Very nice inside. Comfortable. Food is decent and reasonably priced. I was satisfied. I have been 2-3 times and I will be back again.

Reviewed 4 October 2012

We were party of a party of about 20 people. The host had gone to the restaurant to make arrangements for this event, and we had a private room. We all arrived as planned at 5:00 PM. After about 20 minutes of waiting someone finally got up and found the server to ask for menus. We all put the orders in, but they didn't arrive until 6:25 PM (I looked at my watch) I usually order the same Portuguese pork dinner when I go to a Portuguese restaurant and know what to expect. When I saw the tiny portion size, I thought it was an appetizer (but it wasn't priced like an appetizer). It was no more than 1\3 of what you get elsewhere. Also, not once did the waitress ask anyone how the meal was. Also, my wife ordered a glass of wine, which also was a no-show. To be fair. the food was excellent (what little there was) I tried my wife's fish dinner, and it too was excellent. Overall, disappointed, but in the Fall River\New Bedford area there are numerous excellent Portuguese Restaurants to choose from.

1  Thank clairob7
Reviewed 20 August 2012

This packed and popular venue offers Portuguese food at what I would describe as Denny's-style quality. It is clearly a meat-and-potatoes type of place, with an emphasis on salt and overly-heavy sauce.

1  Thank mthom100