“In our opinion-- just "OK"”

Caravela Family Restaurant
Ranked #10 of 230 Restaurants in Fall River
Reviewed 2 January 2014

We were in Fall River enjoying a day of Christmas activities at the beautiful Historical Society Musem on Rock St. Looking for a place to eat, my friend who works in Fall River suggested Caravela or Academica located side by side, because many of her co workers order there for lunch. We opted for Caravela and the 4 of us were seated quite quickly in a half booth against the wall. Plenty of room and a good location but the booth seats were torn with some pretty large holes! The pleasant server came over quickly to take our drink order and we found out (as was stated in a previous review) that bottled water is the only option. That being fine with us we proceeded to order. The House Syteak for my husband and the Pork and Clams Alentajana for me, which are two of our favorite choices when we eat in Portuguese restaurants.Both were disapointing. My husband's steak was very tough and way too thin and the eggs were overdone, My pork dish was abundant but not particularly tasty and the potatoes were not crispy fried as is usually the case..I ordered a side of rice hoping for a nice Portuguese rice and basically got a dish of very bland white rice. Our friends ordered shrimp mozambigue and the grilled chicken and both had the same opinion. Not bad, but just Ok. I had to chuckle when the rice pudding that we ordered was served to us in plastic take out containers! What is that all about??? So the restaurant was full and lots of doggy bags were going home. Prices are reasonable and the portions are huge. Perhaps that's the attraction.

2  Thank FQRB
There are newer reviews for Caravela Family Restaurant

Reviewed 15 September 2013

Having never had Portuguese food before some of the locals recommended Caravela's. I ordered the Portuguese Steak Plate, everything was very tasty and was a large portion for the price. The steak was quite tough though and the eggs were cooked completely through. Having never had the dish before I questioned the waitress who politely explained that their eggs are cooked through but that it varies between restaurants. The steak toughness she explained was because it is cooked well done and pounded thin. I really enjoyed the Kale soup though. Even though I enjoyed the flavors I would not order the steak again just on the toughness. I will however return for more of that amazing soup and bread and try a different dish next time.

1  Thank Robbi4729
Reviewed 9 September 2013 via mobile

I have eaten here many times before my last visit. It had been some time since we were there last so my family and I decided to go to dinner. Like most times we were seated fairly quick. We ordered iced water but got bottled water instead. Our food came out quickly. Everyone got steak, either the plate or the sandwich, I got shrimp. My shrimp were few and small, and my plate was full of butter fat. The steaks were chewy and over cooked. I remember why we hadn't been in a while. Our server only came by once to see how everything was; we were all ready done! I wouldn't recommended this location for a nice family dinner, but would recommended if you want something fast other then McDonalds.

1  Thank Vacation_Junkie13
Reviewed 3 July 2013

We went here june 2013 with family we were seated fairly quick we ordered some water and our drinks the waitress brings over bottled spring water. I asked her for tap water and she said we dont have tap water we only sell bottle water. I said to her we just want a small glass of water with our drinks she said you have to but the bottle water.

I found that really cheesy and we all walked out and went next door to the academica to eat!

1  Thank Ken V
Reviewed 13 May 2013

Just wondering if this is a review for Caravela's on South main Streete or Caldeira's on Pleasatn street since I see a picture of Caldeira's. Either way, both restaurants, the food is absolutely dleicious. I have been to both numerous times and have never been disappointed. Both of my kids eat all the food there and love it!

1  Thank 561nikkip