“Nice location but the management is disappointing”

Captain's Quarters at Surfside Resort
Reviewed 5 October 2013

We stayed at Captain's Quarters last week and we found the location to be nice. We exchange our Cancun timeshare unit which is a oceanfront for a week in Falmouth. The unit in our exchange certificate indicates 807 which is on the third floor and would have given us a better view of the ocean. Instead, when we arrive, we were given unit 604 which is in the ground. The unit is next to the swimming pool and does not have a good view of the ocean. It was pointed to me that the exchange certificate indicates that the unit number is not guaranteed. However, I asked if they could at least try their best to give me a better unit in either 2nd or 3rd floor which would have given us a better view of the ocean than a unit in the ground floor. I asked the person in the front desk which does not appear to be helpful (some are but not this particular lady) for the Manager to give me a call so that I could explain that since I had to give up an oceanfront unit in Mexico for a unit here in Falmouth, if they could at least try their best to accommodate my request. The Manager is Mr. Michael MacDonald and twice I've asked the front desk to have him call me. I was told that Mr. MacDonald tried to call my cell phone, but I never got any voice message. We left without hearing from Mr. MacDonald. I am very disappointed. I have worked in a service industry for 40 years and the worst thing management can do is not to acknowledge customer's concern. They might not have been able to accommodate my request which they really didn't but at least the Manager should have given me a courtesy call. Despite of the good location, I would rather go somewhere else when I come back to Falmouth. To me good customer experience is very important when you work in a service industry and if customer ask to be called, not calling is the worst that a Manager can do to the business. I will clarify with Interval International because I have been exchanging my Cancun timeshare unit for twenty years and whatever unit number is indicated in the exchange certificate, that is what I get. This is the first time that I was not given the unit number indicated in my exchange certificate.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank irene048
GM_CQS-SFD, General Manager at Captain's Quarters at Surfside Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2013

Hi Irene048!

Thank you for your review. We at Captain's Quarters strive to ensure 100% satisfaction, I must say I was a bit disappointed reading your review. The Resort does the best job possible to accomodate requests. However, being a timeshare we are sometimes limited when it comes to room/view preferences.

I was notified of your displeasure with the poolside location of your room. I did in fact leave two messages for you and tried calling your room several times to no avail. Exchange companies DO NOT guarantee a room number only a room type, ie; 1BR, 2BR or Studio. The reason they do not guarantee them is because of just this situation.

I would agree that following up with a guest who may have a question or issue is one of the most important aspects of my job. I have been in the hospitality business for 20+ years and consider that function one of the most vital to the success of Captain's Quarters. We are happy that you enjoyed the clean and comfortable accomodations and beautiful sweeping views. Falmouth is a beautiful town and we hope you come back and see us some day!!

Mike MacDonald- General Manager

Reviewed 16 September 2013

Overall, the Captains Quarters was a great escape. The resort is located directly across the street from Falmouth Heights Beach. The ferry and a few restaurants are within walking distance. There is also a nice park a block away. I would definitely recommend a room on the second or third floor because you have beautiful view of the ocean and Marthas Vineyard. The rooms were very comfortable, quiet, and clean. However, the rooms were a little outdated like most time sharing resorts. We stayed in a one bedroom unit that is a great value because there were two bath rooms, a living room and a full kitchen.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Surfergirlhawaii50
Reviewed 6 January 2013

First Stuff: We are Time-Share. We liked the hotel. I would go back, and I would recommend this hotel to friends. But I would also ask them to read its reviews.

My review is difficult because this is a summer-time beach hotel and we were there for a week centered on New Year's Day in bitter wind, cold and a small snow storm. I rate the hotel very good because it is as good as one should expect on the beach, for the season.

Good Stuff: "Partial Kitchen" (so-called) included full refrigerator and was excellent by Cape Cod standards (Barnstable County Laws). Two Rooms, heat varied from front to back, but was always more than adequate. Two Bathroom, both in good shape. Hotel staff were without exception personable, courteous, professional, and supportive during several difficulties.

Stuff Outside the Hotel: Two good restaurants within 900 feet, the British Beer Company (we thought the better of the two) within 750 feet. I measured this. We were told that a sister hotel, SurfSide Inn, has exercise room and some other facilities, but is 3/4 mile away (I measured this too). All other stores are at least 3/4 mile. and many are noticeably farther.

Bad Stuff: (1) The front room, including kitchen, dining area, and living room, is inconveniently small. Only children should use it as a sleeping area. (2) The ceiling next to the bedroom outer wall leaked, creating a mess on the bedroom rug. The staff handled this well, and it turned out to be nothing more than a nuisance; but it was distracting. (3) Other outside ceiling leaks were seen along the outer walk and the outer stairs. Because the water spots could freeze, the hotel treated them with salt, which we would then track into our unit. (4) Housekeeping rules in a time-share vary and can be confusing; we know this. Even so, we had to call for room cleaning several times, because of the salt tracked into the unit. We attribute the lack of adequate initial response to use of a skeleton staff during the winter. I emphasize that once the front desk staff understood any difficulty, the issue would be quickly addressed. (5) WIFi was not free in the unit. We could go down to the lobby, and we did go down, and use free WiFi there. We do not understand the difficulty here, since we have had free WiFi in cheap, economy hotels.

Room Tip: No elevator. Upper floors, south end have good view of beach and Nantucket Sound. But upper floors d...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank jacko1931
Reviewed 4 November 2012

Unfortunately, we checked in a few days before hurricane Sandy hit the east coast. However, the staff at this resort was excellent. They were honest in letting us know that during a severe storm they would probably lose electricity and if the storm serge was high they might be evacuated. However, if we stayed they would make us as comfortable as possible. We decided to leave the resort for a couple of days to ride out the storm closer to Boston and farther from the water. Fortunately, they were only without power for a couple of short periods of time and no water or wind damage. We did return to the resort to finish up our week. Since this was a timeshare exchange, the week was already paid.

This is an older resort but the rooms were very clean. It could use a little updating but overall while we were there, a very nice stay. Several restaurants are within walking distance and the beach is just across the road. Would definitely recommend this resort.

Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank bedep
Reviewed 21 September 2012 via mobile

As a Marriott timeshare owner, I admit I'm a little spoiled. I'm used to large rooms, full kitchens, exercise facilities, etc. So when I first walked into my room at Captain's Quarters I was a little disappointed. After a day or so I realized that it was perfectly adequate. The view was beautiful (from third floor) and the rooms were clean and comfortable. Since we rode our bikes daily I really didn't need a gym and we ate out so I didn't need a full kitchen. The staff (really one girl who seemed to be there every day) were very friendly and helpful. I would definitely return and September is a wonderful time to visit the Cape.

• Stayed: September 2012
6  Thank neelia48
Reviewed 27 July 2012

We have stayed several times at Captain's Quarters, always in the summer, and have had some great times with our family of 4. We've stayed in a 1 bedroom unit near the front of the unit (lower numbers are closer to front). The room had views of the ocean, and the pool, and the grassy park for playing on. Inside, the rooms are not high luxury, but certainly much better than the average cape motel (we've stayed at plenty of them).The 1 bedroom has a small "efficiency" setup with the kitchenette and living room being one open area. The living room couch opens up to a bed (where 2 can sleep), and has it's own full bath, and TV. The bedroom is fairly nice with a queen bed, fireplace, large jacuzzi, full bathroom, and private balcony with great views. But really, the attraction for us is everything OUTSIDE. As other reviewers have mentioned, the Falmouth Heights beach is right in front of you (and this beach is popular judging by the full parking lot). There are 2 nice restaurants that you can walk to in 5 minutes (British Beer Company which is a nice pub with live music, and Casino Wharf which is a more upscale place to go eat while overlooking the ocean). And then there are many short drives to downtown Falmouth (a great main street for walking around, sightseeing/touring, getting an ice cream, dining, etc). You can catch a Cape Cod baseball leage game, go on a fishing boat, take a sunset cruise, hop on a ferry to Martha's Vineyard ($10 for a 30 minute cruise to the island!). I could go on but you get the idea. Our family loved doing all the stuff around the area, and the inn was really just a nice place to call home for the week. If you want a luxury 4-star experience, then you'll want to look elsewhere (and probably not right on the ocean in cape cod!). But if you want to experience what the cape is all about, this is a great place.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
8  Thank Peter F
Reviewed 15 June 2012

Nice to be so close to the beach. Our 1 bedroom had a kitchenette and a balcony that had a water view. There were so many restaurants we could walk to and the beach was right across the street.

My only complaints were that there was no exercise room and there was a charge to use wi-fi in your room, but you could either bring your laptop to the lobby or use one of the guest computers.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank thumper1
GM_CQS-SFD, General Manager at Captain's Quarters at Surfside Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2012

Hi Thumper1!

Thank you for your review of the Captain's Quarters! We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. We are currently working on a Wi-Fi service that would be complimentary in our units, in the meantime we offer free Wi-Fi in our lobby. We also provide two guest computers free of charge. We have talked about adding some exercise equipment during our yearly upgrade meetings, thank you for your suggestion! We hope to see you again soon~